Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Knocking or metallic noises heard while sitting in third row only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard what appears to be like a loose bolt / loose latch (metallic noises) only when sitting in the 3rd row and going over bumps? I normally never sit back there, but today I did and I noticed this. I am not sure if it is normal suspension noise over bumps or something else. I don't hear it when sitting up front. Thanks!

Has anyone heard what appears to be like a loose bolt / loose latch (metallic noises) only when sitting in the 3rd row and going over bumps? I normally never sit back there, but today I did and I noticed this. I am not sure if it is normal suspension noise over bumps or something else. I don't hear it when sitting up front. Thanks!
Will see when I get my new X. I dont think it is normal. Haven't heard it before

Just checked with my daughter who has exclusive use of the rear seat on our X (she sits there all the time, we have a 6 seater).

She says the noises she hears are the brakes (she thinks it's the regen) and the a/c unit hisses... one louder than the other. Definitely no loose bolt noises.

Check with service.

My thunk which I can hear going over bumps sounded like it was coming from the back. Had a ride along with a Tesla service tech and he says that it appears to be coming form the front and the noise may be just carrying to the back. They diagnosed as a defective air strut in the driver side front. Unfortunately there are no parts currently available and no time was given when a replacement will be available. My X has 25K miles .

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I removed all car seats and loose items from trunk rear well area. Went on a road test and I still hear the metallic/latch noises. Listening more closely, it actually sounds like it's coming from under the 3rd row seat, which makes me think it could be a suspension noise. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something like a car seat or something making the noise. I'll mention this on my next service center visit. The noise is quite subtle since it can't be heard from anywhere else in the vehicle, only when sitting in the 3rd row.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
May not pertain to your situation, but while I was waiting for my plates to arrive our MX still had the white plastic Tesla logo plates on. The plates were not secured very well and the one on the rear would flap in the wind making a very unpleasant noise in the car.