Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

knocking sound from passenger side under accel and decel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When slowing down for a speed bump I get a knock sound then upon applying power I get another knock. I can even hear it when at say 55mph I let off of power then apply a lot of power again, knock in both cases. Does it also when going in and out of a parking lot.

Tesla had it for 2 days and say they can hear it too but cannot fix it but it is a known problem.

Anyone else have this problem on their 3?

When slowing down for a speed bump I get a knock sound then upon applying power I get another knock. I can even hear it when at say 55mph I let off of power then apply a lot of power again, knock in both cases. Does it also when going in and out of a parking lot.

Tesla had it for 2 days and say they can hear it too but cannot fix it but it is a known problem.

Anyone else have this problem on their 3?

Yes, had that all around (started as a creak) and they “torqued and greased the chassis bolts”. The issue resurfaced more prominently soon thereafter (this time with a loud bang), they kept my car for a month and did not fully fix it.

This is far too frequent an issue to be attributed to an assembly glitch or such; it must be a design or material issue. I would speculate that either the structural integrity of the body area where the suspension bolts into the body is too easily compromised or there’s an issue with the suspension assembly itself. Something there deforms and bolts work themselves loose in the process of normal driving. Whatever it is, it seems to me Tesla is carefully avoiding the acknowledgment of the root cause, perhaps for fears of an expensive recall.

Would to love to hear from those who have replaced their struts/springs if they came across something abnormal when installing the new components. Maybe @MountainPass would have more insight into this.

Sound like the same problem I had: Popping Noise When Turning/Going Over Bumps

To summarize - is was a passenger seat support rubbing against a metal bracket. It started out only happening when I went over bumps with the wheel turned, but quickly got to the point where any stress on the body caused it to happen (acceleration, deceleration, bumps, etc).

If you sit in the front passenger seat, plant your feet on the floor, and push your back against the seat back do you get the sound?

• Helpful
Reactions: NYCR160
Yes, had that all around (started as a creak) and they “torqued and greased the chassis bolts”. The issue resurfaced more prominently soon thereafter (this time with a loud bang), they kept my car for a month and did not fully fix it.

This is far too frequent an issue to be attributed to an assembly glitch or such; it must be a design or material issue. I would speculate that either the structural integrity of the body area where the suspension bolts into the body is too easily compromised or there’s an issue with the suspension assembly itself. Something there deforms and bolts work themselves loose in the process of normal driving. Whatever it is, it seems to me Tesla is carefully avoiding the acknowledgment of the root cause, perhaps for fears of an expensive recall.

Would to love to hear from those who have replaced their struts/springs if they came across something abnormal when installing the new components. Maybe @MountainPass would have more insight into this.
Can you create the knocking sound without speedbumps, just slowing then accelerating?

Can you create the knocking sound without speedbumps, just slowing then accelerating?

I might have a similar noise, but never had Tesla look at it.

The quiet knocking I hear, I can hear when slowing or accelerating. It's kind of inconsistent (when I try to reproduce it I can't make it happen on command) and quite quiet, and I can't isolate exactly where it is coming from. It sounds usually like it is coming from the front left, but hard to say for sure. Been there since the car was new and has not changed. For a while I thought it always occurred at about 12-13mph, and it does sometimes happen at that speed, but I think it can also happen at lower speeds.

Speed bumps can induce the quiet knocking noise too. But they are not required.

It's kind of strange. Not bad enough to want to take it in, but kind of annoying. I don't hear it if I have the music on.

I would not describe it as a creaking noise or a banging noise. It's a knocking/soft tapping noise.

Model 3 Dual Motor - I have a slight "clunk" on acceleration... service said they tightened everything and "don't worry about it because your drivetrain has a warranty"... but it still makes the slight noise... at least it is "on the record" but they did not fix anything this time... I guess it is just annoying to me. :)

maybe this noise is from flex in the chassis battery casing. a louder clunk sound is common due to flex from battery area (during supercharging, inclines/declines, cold temps) and it has been suspected it is due to the missing insulation from flufferbot.

i have been having a similar sound. it sounds like a knock. sometime it happens going over the bump in my driveway, speed bumps and when I accelerate harder out of turn. I've looked over ton of threads and I'm starting to wonder if this is all related. the flex of the hollowed area (without insulation) is making the sound possibly?

Any updates? Anyone else experiencing similar noise? Besides the common axle clicking - I'm experiencing slight knocking when turning backing out of garage/parking spaces and moving forward. Definitely related to steering wheel turning especially when getting near lock.

(Since the closest SC to me is an hour away - I've given up on axle clicking until a significant failure pops up)

Just got my Model Y back in mid-November 2021, and I have this same 'soft knocking' issue. It happens at slow speeds (mostly parking), and when I'm supercharging sometimes. Very disconcerting!!!
I can hear/feel that single soft knock occasionally while moving over a bump. It’s so infrequent that initially I thought the mud flap was touching ground or something. It’s like a soft thud and you sort of faintly feel on your feet. When the car comes to a stop there is a sort of “locking feel” which is perfectly normal

Just got my Model Y back in mid-November 2021, and I have this same 'soft knocking' issue. It happens at slow speeds (mostly parking), and when I'm supercharging sometimes. Very disconcerting!!!
What’s your software version? I got mine 30-October and is on 2021.35.102
Been a month and no updates to date. I don’t have the option to opt into the beta-FSD (despite paying 10K), the live view for sentry mode is not there also.