Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Know of a TT-30 outlet in Central Mass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its will most likely only blow the outlets fuse (not melt nor cause death) if you do not first set the current in the car to 80% of the current rating for the outlet. A TT-30 is rated for 30 AMPs, so set the car to 24 AMPs. If that is to much hassle, just use the Tesla supplied adapter.

Its will most likely only blow the outlets fuse (not melt nor cause death) if you do not first set the current in the car to 80% of the current rating for the outlet. A TT-30 is rated for 30 AMPs, so set the car to 24 AMPs. If that is to much hassle, just use the Tesla supplied adapter.

It turned out that in the post I was referring to some genius used the wrong breaker. When I moved into my house, I found breakers that were installed in a hurry on a circuit they weren't nearly appropriate for. Fortunately I know to look for those things, but not everybody does. It's also important to know that in the US it's possible for a breaker to fail in a way that never lets it trip, especially with budget breakers that people seem to love buying for some reason.

So it's important to set the maximum amperage in the car, for sure, but people make mistakes. It's not worth potentially burning the insulation off the wires in the wall and not finding out until something terrible happens. That's why I say these kinds of adapters are a death trap. They're never UL rated because of the code violation that is adapting the two outlet standards to each other, which means who knows what the innards look like. They're just never worth the risk.

I have an AC Works TT-30 adapter (for EV use only) for use with my UMC1. I'd like to test it on a known working outlet. Does anyone know of one that is open to the public? Something anywhere from Worcester all the way to Boston would be convenient, but I'd consider going further.

Those adapters are dangerous, as you need to manually reduce the current to avoid overloading the circuit. If you really need a TT-30 adapter, get one the plugs directly to the UMC and set the correct current.

TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S and X Gen 1

Reactions: DrDabbles

Any setup that requires you to set the correct current in the car each time you use it is a recipe for eventual failure.

Reactions: DrDabbles
It's ok and safe to plug your UMC NEMA 14-30 plug into a TT-30 receptical just fine as the UMC will accept either L-N or L-L without issue.
When making custom 120V adapters, you need to be careful about where you connect Neutral and Hot. The UMC (at least Gen 1, not sure about Gen 2) is picky about which is which.

See: http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf page 9 - ideally substitute a 14-30 (or 10-30) recepticle and use the matching adapter to automatically limit charge current to 24A.

Does anyone actually know of an accessible outlet?

(I know all about setting the amp on the console, and am well set to do so. I really don't need to know about the other options. I'm just trying to test the adapter I already have, thanks)