Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Known Bug?: Model 3 Autopilot Targets Incorrect Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car does this on a section of the 110 freeway in downtown Los Angeles every day (southbound, second lane from the left, just before it crosses the 10 freeway).

The car incorrectly targets the car in the lane to the left and slams on the brakes. It will do this for about a quarter mile section and then it returns to normal.

This happens every day on my commute and I need to manually override it with the accelerator while it freaks out and beeps that I’m going to collide with a car.

This behavior coincided with the last map update 2019.20 so it leads me to believe that the maps have the lane markings wrong and the car thinks that the two lanes are merging and it needs to make space.

Infuriating and potentially dangerous.

View attachment 484948

I've never seen a problem where my Tesla tries to match speed of cars in other lanes, but I do find many map related anomalies. I think many of them are construction related.

One was a new overpass where a level intersection had been. The constructed the ramps first and used them as the bypass during construction with a 25 mph speed limit. The bridge was completed, but it took a year for the maps to recognize the overpass did not have a 25 mph speed limit!

Another is a section of Rt 95 heading north to Washington DC where they installed a set of gated on lanes to the express lanes. Every time I'm in the fast lane approaching them the car insists on leaving that lane to "stay on route". For a while it would also slow down. Pressing the ignore button only results in the warning coming up again, and again, and again... I counted 13 nags once. Now I turn off NoA so I can drive in piece on this part of the highway. I suspect this is an artifact of construction in the database.

Lather, rinse and repeat at many other locations.

Mine only slows for cars moving to exit lanes, either left or right, even after the car is fully in the exit lane. I just tap the accelerator to speed back up.

Like most other issues I am sure this will be corrected in future updates.

What you are describing is what I consider expected behavior.

Mine slams on the brakes for cars that are not merging, changing lanes, entering, or exiting.

Four lanes of traffic and the car decides the cars to my left (multiple are highlighted on the screen) will be imminently merging into me and it hits the brakes without warning.

In the UK this is not only an invaluable feature it’s very nearly almost the law!

whilst technically not illegal to undertake cars you can get a fine for ‘dangerous driving’ in the majority of cases. We are only allow to overtake cars on the right hand side (unless in stop start traffic).

In the UK this is not only an invaluable feature it’s very nearly almost the law!

whilst technically not illegal to undertake cars you can get a fine for ‘dangerous driving’ in the majority of cases. We are only allow to overtake cars on the right hand side (unless in stop start traffic).

This is sudden behavior long after I’ve been passing cars on the right with autopilot engaged (in a given trip).

It’s not that the system is preventing me from passing on the right (which is legal here) but that all of the sudden, for a quarter mile of my commute, it thinks lanes are merging and slams on the brakes to avoid what it thinks are cars merging into my lane. Sometimes the speed delta is very small yet it slows abruptly to make space for what it thinks is a merging car.

This is unintended behavior as it is infrequent and limited to a very specific section of road.

Mine does it as well at one area in particular. While a lane is merging and it continues tracking extra for the curve that starts during the merge. Once the curve straightens out, the extra tracked cars are dropped. It doesn't matter if I'm in the right or left lane. Two lanes interstate each way.

Attachments

• IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 42
Here’s a video of mine doing it.

Watch the cars to my left turning into target cars for no reason beginning around the 1:30 mark. At one point my car leaves about ten car lengths behind the white truck I’m following to let the phantom merges into my lane.

I actually had a couple situations before getting 40.1.1 whereby it tracked 3 cars - in front as usual, but also to the right and left. I reported both instances, and seem to be one of the few with the latest update. Reading the 40.2 notes, I wonder if was related to the adjacent lane speed feature. Both times it was after I merged onto the highway.

it looks like Tesla claims this speed adjustment is a "new" feature for release. hahahahaha

When your vehicle is moving at a significantly faster speed than vehicles in neighboring lanes, Autopilot now automatically reduces your driving speed. This is helpful in heavy traffic situations or when there is a long line of vehicles merging into a different lane or exiting onto an off-ramp. When your vehicle detects that adjacent lane traffic is significantly slower, the lane is highlighted with arrows and its vehicles are highlighted gray in the driving visualization. This speed adjustment can be temporarily overridden by pressing the accelerator pedal.

https://electrek.co/2019/12/06/tesla-update-autopilot-adjust-speed-stop-sign-warning/

The new speed adjustment feature in 2019.40.2 is different from the existing functionality where Autopilot will yield to adjacent vehicles for an upcoming merge when Navigation is on. Sometimes the map data has incorrect number of lanes. You can verify by turning off Navigation (not just Navigate on Autopilot).