Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Known Interstate Locations Where Autopilot Relinquishes Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it might be useful to start a thread identifying Interstate locations and conditions about which Tesla owners are aware through experience that Autopilot can't successfully navigate. There is no need to identify work zones, areas where pavement is being repaired or wet roads and or snow. You shouldn't be using Autopilot anyway. By describing interstate road conditions that autopilot can not successfully navigate without driver intervention, it might assist us all in identifying what to look for when we are driving on unfamiliar roads so that we can be particularly ready to take over.

A perfect example of this situation is the west bound lane of I-40 on the western outskirts of Greensboro, NC. The west bound four lanes split with 2 lanes (1 and 2) veering relatively sharply to the left as a continuation of I-40 and 2 lanes (3 and 4) turning gently to the right to form Business 40. Obviously, if you are in lanes 2 or 3 you need to pay attention so that Autopilot correctly selects which road upon which to continue. However, Autopilot can not navigate lane 1 (the passing lane on I-40). The road is well lined and the markings are clear with a solid yellow line on the left side and a dotted white line at the center. I do not know whether it is the radius of the curve to the left at 70 miles per hour, but Autopilot abruptly gives back control of the car every time. The first time it happened, it really got my attention because it was the first time it has ever happened to me on an Interstate and it was a challenging location to jump back in.

Lesson learned - be careful in relatively sharp curves at high speed, even if well marked.

image.jpeg
My AP occasionally likes to pull to the right side during HOV entry/exit small dash markings on 495 in Long Island.