TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Knoxville Supercharger Not Working

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Dalia, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Dalia

Dalia Member

We're on our way to Orlando and have been going well until now. Knoxville station isn't working, we don't have enough miles to get us to the next station. Called Tesla and they weren't much help. We've been driving trying to find chargers. We only have ChargePoint and here they are mostly BLINK and their customer service isn't working. This is a mess. We are now at a BMW dealer and hopefully this will work. I can't believe this. This is when I regret buying a MX.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Dalia, very sorry to hear about your problem. Last year I arrived at the Superior MT charger to discover there was no power...in the entire tiny town of Superior. It came back on 10 minutes later. I was lucky. But cases of all the spots at an SC being down are rare. I take it that your X nav did not alert you to that SC being non-functional?

Are you now charging on a J1772 at the BMW dealer?

• Funny x 1
  3. bigmaple1

bigmaple1 Member

I don't know if any Tesla owners near you have a Chademo adapter you could borrow, but there looks to be several Chademo locations in Knoxville (you should consider purchasing a Chademo adapter if you do road trips frequently in this area. It looks like they are adding a lot of new stations)

edited to add..
    (You should look at Plugshare. It will show you a lot of options, sometimes there may even be Tesla HPWCs that you may be able to use which would be faster than a standard US J1772)

4. Dalia

Dalia Member

Yes. It's charging 12/hour. Tesla should have tried a little harder to help. Very disappointed with them.

5. bigmaple1

bigmaple1 Member

Why don't you call this place. It is a destination charger, the lists 'open to the public'
    Mountain Motorsports
    3422 Adventure Ln

Kodak, TN 37764

• Phone (865) 932-7433

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'm assuming you tried different stalls in the SC. I've had a couple of instances where one didn't work but moving to another one did. (Be sure you don't move from 1A to 1B, move to 2A or 2B, etc. because the stalls are paired.) It's rare for an entire SC to be down, although it can happen.

7. LJordan

LJordan Member

I feel for you. Tesla should be bending over backwards in this type of situation. I just checked my Nav system and it does not show the Knoxville Supercharger offline. I thought this feature was in 7.1.

8. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

#8 JohnSnowNW, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Sorry to hear about that. I would just suggest that if you plan to take many road trips with the Model X, consider getting a Chademo adapter, as there are plenty of stations around the Knoxville SC that use them.

EDIT: Viewing on a larger screen I can see that some of them are "Coming Soon" and others are Blink. So maybe not as helpful as it seemed. Still a good purchase, either way.

9. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

@Dalia, you need to call Tesla Supercharger support and give them another chance to help you. They should at least be able to confirm the status of the Supercharger and contact you when the site is working again.

I've used the Wall Connector at Mountain Motorsports before but it is kind of far and in the opposite direction of your travel.

• Like x 1
  10. kort677

kort677 Active Member

plushare!!!
    a quick look at plug share shows many places to charge, this isn't the car's fault.

11. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Tesla really needs to add the status information they already have to the map display of Superchargers, up, down, and, if it's full, how long it's been so. People rely on these, having to use a J1772 or even CHAdeMO greatly increases trip time.

It's not like you can just go to the gas station on the next corner.

• Like x 1
  12. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The firmware 7.2 discussion I saw this week suggested people are expecting that to show up in the next release, actually. We'll see.

13. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

It's on the east side of town, well out of their way to go south on I-75. It might be better to L2 on the west side of town and hope the supercharger comes back up.

14. bigmaple1

bigmaple1 Member

That makes sense, I didn't check distances, or the final route of the OP. It is hard to believe that 12 miles/hr is the best that can be found. Since there isn't a service center close by, you couldn't drop by and see if they have a HPWC available, or a Chademo adapter for sale. I agree with the OP the no notice visibility on a supercharger site being down is a BIG Tesla problem that they are going to have to address, better sooner rather than later. However, I disagree with the OPs apparent defeatist tenor - it's like he didn't really try to find a solution better than 12 [miles?]/hr

15. ModelZ

ModelZ Member

Over in the Tennessee thread, someone mentioned that they were pulling 60A and then all of a sudden 0A.

They called SuC Support and were told it's an issue with the power company in Knoxville not providing "clean" power to the station.

16. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

Post referenced above from last night: Tennessee Tesla Thread

17. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

#17 dhanson865, Apr 16, 2016
    That location is on the edge of two power company services. LCUB and KUB.

I've said for years now that they should put a supercharger on the north and east side of town as well.

Having 8 bays all on one grid location isn't as robust as having 4 or 6 there and 4 or 6 somewhere else.

They got it between I-40 exits 373/374 so that is covered.

They still need a small 2/4/6 stall supercharger at

I-40 exit 398 (strawberry plains pike, KUB) or exit 417 (dandridge / hwy 92, Appalachian Electric)
    I-75 exit 128/129 (Lake City) (CUB electric)

so there is some flexibility / redundancy.

Knoxville just isn't a Chademo heavy city and if the only supercharger location goes down you are probably stuck going back to J1772A level 2 rates.

To add to the fun if they put a store or service center in Knoxville it is likely to be on the West side in the same power grid as the existing supercharger. Meaning adding superchargers or HPWC at another location on the same side of town isn't much for redundancy.

18. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

You could move over to the furniture store and get a faster charge rate than that.

Brown Squirrel Furniture
    9901 Sherrill Blvd Knoxville, TN 37932

http://a6b6a4d850da023e34c0-ffd458871468d7801be60d93d5d79b26.r30.cf2.rackcdn.com/84907.jpg

You might want to try the supercharger again, but if not move to an L2 that at least gives you 20+ mph.

19. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

On Plugshare, it looked to me like there were 3 or 4 CHAdeMO choices today, and several others under construction. Of course, that assume one has a CHAdeMO adapter and possibly membership in the appropriate networks...

20. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

#20 Az_Rael, Apr 16, 2016
    I thought I read somewhere that if a supercharger was down, Tesla would tow you to the next one. Is that not the case?

I guess buying the Chademo adapter will still be critical to long distance travel.

Edit: found an example. But I guess they towed him because there wasn't any public charging within reach. Shamrock Supercharger Offline

And this note when Harris Ranch was down Tesla was flatbeding everyone to the next one. Remarkable Customer Service at Tesla Superchargers

I guess they only do that in remote locations. Good to know