Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Knoxville Supercharger Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Plugshare, it looked to me like there were 3 or 4 CHAdeMO choices today, and several others under construction. Of course, that assume one has a CHAdeMO adapter and possibly membership in the appropriate networks...

I wouldn't depend on the Blink network Chademo, those go down frequently. Often placed at Cracker Barrel restaurants.

Greenlots is reliable but only on the NC side of the world.

There are a couple in construction but I don't know what network will run those or what equipment they'll use. One is going to be at an Exxon/Subway.

Also confused on how I've used it three times before in middle of day and gad no issues but at midnight they said they power company wouldn't provide enough electricity for them? Usually very happy with tesla even when they can't do anything but lady last night just made it sound like it wasn't her problem..

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. We charged to 105 miles and then slowly and carefully drove to Chattanooga which was 90 miles away. Thank God we made it safe. I'm writing now from the Chattanooga Airport where the Supercharger is, beautiful and clean location, but you do pay for parking I believe. We're just very very happy to have made it. I think someone mentioned it, if we had to, yes we would have to tow to the next station if need be. I called Tesla and again and made sure they noted it that's it's not working. She again told me it's working and that its just charging slower, but I was very firm with her that we tried 3 stations and it wasn't working. Anyway, happy it's over.

I thought I read somewhere that if a supercharger was down, Tesla would tow you to the next one. Is that not the case?

I guess buying the Chademo adapter will still be critical to long distance travel.

Edit: found an example. But I guess they towed him because there wasn't any public charging within reach. Shamrock Supercharger Offline

And this note when Harris Ranch was down Tesla was flatbeding everyone to the next one. Remarkable Customer Service at Tesla Superchargers

I guess they only do that in remote locations. Good to know

In any location where there is an alternative HPWC or CHAdeMO, by the time a tow truck arrives you could have most of your charge completed.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. We charged to 105 miles and then slowly and carefully drove to Chattanooga which was 90 miles away. Thank God we made it safe. I'm writing now from the Chattanooga Airport where the Supercharger is, beautiful and clean location, but you do pay for parking I believe. We're just very very happy to have made it. I think someone mentioned it, if we had to, yes we would have to tow to the next station if need be. I called Tesla and again and made sure they noted it that's it's not working. She again told me it's working and that its just charging slower, but I was very firm with her that we tried 3 stations and it wasn't working. Anyway, happy it's over.
You won't have to pay for parking, it's confusing there but it will be free when you leave. It always made me print a ticket and then opens automatically when I drive up when there's no attendant somehow knows I have a tesla.

The bottom line is that the reliability and availability of Tesla Superchargers are a critical element of the product Tesla is selling. If I perceive that the Supercharger network ( and every element ) can't be counted on I am not going to depend on a Tesla vehicle for long distance travel. In fact the SC network and the support behind it were the deciding factors in buying our Model S.
Tesla needs to do much better than pointing a finger at the power company.

The bottom line is that the reliability and availability of Tesla Superchargers are a critical element of the product Tesla is selling. If I perceive that the Supercharger network ( and every element ) can't be counted on I am not going to depend on a Tesla vehicle for long distance travel. In fact the SC network and the support behind it were the deciding factors in buying our Model S.

Exactly my feeling. It'd be one thing if it was like California and a charger was built every 5 miles but until they start building more in this area they need to be a lot more proactive in notifying people of issues even if they are inconsistent or taking action to fix them.

Reactions: Dalia
Exactly my feeling. It'd be one thing if it was like California and a charger was built every 5 miles but until they start building more in this area they need to be a lot more proactive in notifying people of issues even if they are inconsistent or taking action to fix them.

That's the thing. The Knoxville Metropolitan area is about 9 counties with about 1,000,000 people local + all the traffic from I-40 and I-75. It's not a small town. There shouldn't be just one supercharger on one side of town when there is a major path for traffic to leave town going north on I-75 and a major path for traffic to leaf town going east on I-40.

We need superchargers dotting the land in 2018 (rest of US) like they did for California in 2014.

Last edited:
Reactions: engle and Dalia
That's the thing. The Knoxville Metropolitan area is about 9 counties with about 1,000,000 people local + all the traffic from I-40 and I-75. It's not a small town. There shouldn't be just one supercharger on one side of town when there is a major path for traffic to leave town going north on I-75 and a major path for traffic to leaf town going east on I-40.

We need superchargers dotting the land in 2018 (rest of US) like they did for California in 2014.

Yup, the south in general needs a lot of love. Up north they have a lot more now, but the south is still lacking. Honestly I think knox needs more, but I think nashville needs a second one even more. Higher population, even worse congestion to get to one side, etc.

However, before I'd see two in either city I'd love to see one in Jackson, cookville, and johnson city area for starters, then west memphis?

Yup, the south in general needs a lot of love. Up north they have a lot more now, but the south is still lacking. Honestly I think knox needs more, but I think nashville needs a second one even more. Higher population, even worse congestion to get to one side, etc.

However, before I'd see two in either city I'd love to see one in Jackson, cookville, and johnson city area for starters, then west memphis?

You say Cookeville, TN, I say Crossville, TN but either would work. East side of cookeville (exits 287 or 290) or North side of crossville (exit 320 seems more upscale than exit 317). Only 30 miles or so between the two options if you keep them on the edge of each town in between the two.

Last edited:

At what point does it become pointing a finger, instead of explaining reality?

Tesla has done much better, they developed a Chademo adapter for owners to purchase. There are a number of DCFC stations in the Knoxville area (Though the OP seemed to have issues with Blink). The reality is that many things factor into the reliability of these stations, some outside of Tesla's control. Owners need to be proactive in their efforts to mitigate possible issues, instead of relying on Tesla to swoop in and save the day.

It doesn't appear that Tesla could have done much more in this situation, which is unfortunate. That's the reality of the current state of the SC network. Tesla explained that they expect to double the number of stations by the end of 2017...what else do you want them to do?

Tesla really needs to add the status information they already have to the map display of Superchargers, up, down, and, if it's full, how long it's been so. People rely on these, having to use a J1772 or even CHAdeMO greatly increases trip time.

It's not like you can just go to the gas station on the next corner.

Agreed. In 7.2 we were supposed to have gained the ability to view faulty SpC through the in car Nav. Obviously that didn't work in this case or the OP would not have been stuck in the situation that he was. Unfortunate.

@OP - Since this affects all Tesla's, consider posting in a more general forum as opposed to the Model X sub forum.

Huh? There is one or two that I know of and the one closest to the supercharger isn't reliable.

I guess 1 is a number but "there are a number of DCFC stations in Knoxville" seems misleading to me.

Plugshare:

ELPQ9CK.jpg

Ignore the ones under construction, but the rest are all within ~15 miles of the SC, except for Gatlinburg.

• Helpful
Reactions: kort677