Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Knoxville supercharger - where

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's that Plugshare link: Knoxville Supercharger | Knoxville, TN | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Another checkin from a week ago: "In car nav said temporarily closed. Called tesla and they said it had variable power quality from utility but was working. I proceeded to the SC and it worked fine."
I was rerouted around it today and had a very long day ahead so I did not go there and take a chance. I called and got the same variable power quality info. Annoying when you are on a roadtrip.

A Tennessee owner reports to an owner group: "For those of you wondering what is going on with the Knoxville TN supercharger, I have been there a few times recently. They tell me the voltage fluctuates and sometimes does not allow for a "full" charge. But I have had no difficulties whatsoever."

Any Knoxville locals bird-dogging this location, including the transformer and the electrical feed? I'm curious how they fix it. If in fact the problem is unreliable supply, then maybe the electrical company will run a new feed from the closest substation to this location.

Charging here right now. Tried 3A first and couldn't get it to work. Turned green, but never started flashing and car said "bad connection to charge port" or something like that. I tried to reconnect a second time and same thing. I hadn't read this thread, but knew that this SC might be unavailable so I wasn't surprised when it didn't work. Maybe I just didn't try hard enough on 3A and this was unrelated.

Anyways after 3A, I went to 1B and got the normal rate of charge. I had planned on skipping this one and moving onto the next so I didn't really need a charge, but I stuck around long enough to see it get up to 100+kW and then taper off as my car was more than half way charged. Anyways, I just wanted to report my experience.

We charged at the Knoxville supercharger late on Sunday, October 30, 2016, without an issue. We stayed for over an hour as we needed the range to get to Wytheville, VA. We were the only car at the charger. It was about 10:30 at night. I remember it clearly because they shut some of the shopping center parking lot lights off at that time. I remember thinking that they must do that to reduce their electricity costs.

Cross posting from TN thread.

Fellow Tennesseans. Quick question. Trying Brentwood service center to KX supercharger tomorrow. EVTripplanner is saying I need 225 rated miles @ speed limit. That strikes me as a big premium over the 175 miles of actual distance. Rated miles dont change much reversing route as net elevation change is not much. If I set speed to 1.1 I need 250 rated miles - scary. Do I need to be worried about this route? I have a Chademo, but PlugShare gives me no confidence with the Cracker Barrel blinks. Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Guys - I decided not to risk it. The more I modeled this with EVTripplanner the more riskey it seemed. The temps tomorrow morning are sub 30. That is pushing. My rated miles to 250. I have a P85 with two years of degradation, so I only get about 258 with full charge. Too close for me. Sorry to have bothered everyone.

Can anyone here explain the rationale of placing the charger 20 min off the 75/40 split towards NC? Getting to NC from north take an extra 30/40 min just to drive to the charger. Seems like a placement a few miles further east still could have met the needs.

West Town Mall has a traffic/parking problem as it is. Anything downtown is a traffic problem/parking problem as well. It's likely they picked the spot they did knowing a second location would come later in 2017 or 2018.

The only way to really fix it is to have multiple locations so that there is something for all the possible major through routes. Unfortunately to fully cover the possibilities it'd take 3 not 2.

As is South and West travel out of Knoxville are covered with the one they chose. Travel North isn't covered as such and Travel east is covered even less.

Given the existing supercharger in Knoxville I'd place priority for the second location to be east at one of I-40 exit 398 (Strawberry Plains pike), exit 407 (near Kodak), or exit 417 (Dandridge / hwy 92) these locations serve I-81 Northeast, I-40 east, and traffic into Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg south of I-40.

Then if, and only if, a third is desired I'd place it North at I-75 exit 128/129 (Lake City) which serves the traffic into and out of Kentucky and just one stop north of the dropoff in local population density (to reduce locals abusing it). Now with idle fees an option I'd consider exit 122 (Clinton) as another viable option.

I-75 exit 112 has way better amenities than the two more northern choices but its chock full of residential traffic as well (in the income bracket to likely have a Tesla) so any locals would be charging there daily. I'd fear that even with idle fees any supercharger put here would be over capacity the day it goes live.

TLDR; the further west they put the first one the better assuming another one is put east of downtown Knoxville.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
The day of the eclipse it took us 3.5 hours to drive from Athens, TN to the Knoxville SC (a bit more than 45 miles). When we finally got to the SC it was totally full with 2 Teslas waiting to charge. I waited about 10-15 minutes to start charging and it seemed to be working fine. The SC was still full when I finished with 3 Teslas waiting. a glimpse of the future perhaps?
Great viewing conditions for the eclipse in Athens, unlike Nashville where my son and his family were. He tells me the sun was obscured just before totality by clouds and they totally missed it! Well they're young and can look forward to the 2024 eclipse which will pass over our homes in Western New York.

Not sure where to post this, so feel free to move if there is a more appropriate location.

Was driving through Knoxville TN and stopped at the Walmart Supercenter located 8445 Walbrock Dr. This Walmart is located just off of I-40. While parking, I noticed what appeared to be several charging stalls.

Upon closer inspection, the stalls have the Electrify America name on them and include a lcd screen and a credit card reader. There are four stalls, with each stall having 2 charge heads. Based on the parking space lines, I’m not certain how 8 vehicles can be charged at the same time. The charge cables don’t seem long enough.

7 of the 8 charge heads are CCS and 1 head is Chardemo. The chardemo head is rated “up to 50kW”, 3 of the CCS heads are rated “up to 150kW” and (surprise) 4 of the CCS heads are rated “up to 350kW”. The charge cables appear to be fluid cooled, based upon writing on them stating “1000 V - For Use Only In An Apptoved Cooling System”. Curious as to how long it would take to fully charge a vehicle at 350kW?

The site is complete but fir the installation of the transformer. No idea when it will be operational or what the cost to charge will be.

Attached are some photos that I took. Not sure if the progress is sufficient to put this info on PlugShare.
upload_2018-12-3_15-37-19.jpeg

upload_2018-12-3_15-38-16.jpeg

upload_2018-12-3_15-38-49.jpeg

upload_2018-12-3_15-40-31.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-3_15-37-43.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-3_15-37-43.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 51
  • upload_2018-12-3_15-39-26.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-3_15-39-26.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 43
  • upload_2018-12-3_15-39-56.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-3_15-39-56.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 33
That's a 4 charger install. The Electrify America's chargers can only charge 1 car at a time--no power splitting--so the cables aren't designed to be able to reach 2 cars. According to EA, they are so that the same charger can reach a car's charging port no matter which side of the car it's on (i.e. to be car brand/design agnostic). So, while there may be 8 connectors there and EA may describe the site by the number of connectors it has, it's still really just a 4 charger location.