Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Koch brothers set to make new assault on EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I commented on the Fortune story:

Mr. Mahoney is entitled to do his job....but I expect Fortune to do its job, too. I will be looking for the offsetting piece when my issue of Fortune arrives. Not going to be there? How is that possible?
Mr. Mahoney accurately points out that fossil fuels have also "benefitted from market-distorting policies....but goes on to say that at this much-needed inflection point in the history of the modern world, all such policies should be halted!
When we step back far enough to see what governments should and should not do, first up is providing incentives and penalties to make sure citizens do the right things. For the last 60 years, the US government has worked to try to make cars cleaner, safer and more efficient. But government has not used its taxing powers aggressively to discourage the use of fossil fuels. Arguably, it has done the opposite, much in the name of assuring a continuous supply of energy.
We need sensible leadership to begin the transition to clean energy sources, reduced energy use and to create exportable technologies and products. The fossil fuel industry is not our friend in making any of this happen...as Mr. Mahoney certifies.

The voters do, by voting for candidates whose policy proposals they support.

Is it fair to blame voters when the process is corrupt? It stared with lobbying and then hit the stratosphere when the Citizens United decision basically bought the Kochs the rights to make the rules.

Now, the only way out is by way of a constitutional amendment. It's sad really. No so much for us, but for our children and their children. That's what I don't get. Don't the Koch brothers have any concern about future generations? This is the best explanation I have found for their actions:

You have to look at what happened during the Clinton era. Koch Industries at that point was absolutely under siege by environmental regulators who were pursuing criminal and civil investigations for oil spills and a variety of other things, including an explosion of an oil pipeline in Texas that killed two Texas teenagers and led to the largest wrongful death jury award in the nation’s history at that point. (It was $296 million.) Then the Clinton administration’s parting shot was a 97 count felony indictment targeting managers and executives associated with the Corpus Christi oil refinery. I think when the Obama administration came into office, [the Kochs] got pretty freaked out that this was a repeat of the Clinton years, maybe even worse. They decided that they needed to really fight back. I’m not convinced that they actually knew what they were getting into by coming out as publicly as they did; you sort of saw them at first with, [the Tea Party group] Americans for Prosperity, not really knowing how to handle that sort of attention.

So how is this narrative going to go?

I've been made myself look foolish before around here trying to make like I know marketing, so why not try again! Just for fun:

• Oil gives jobs to honest americans (cue 'Merica images, and pickup trucks and families)
  • Oil allows you to drive anytime, anywhere, for however long you like. Freedom. (Images of young people driving in the middle of nowhere to impressive vistas)
  • Oil does not force you to plan. You can be spontaneous! (Spontaneousness images. Like non-speaking extras running out to a car for an instant road trip.)
  • Oil allows you to get some more fuel whenever and wherever is convenient. (View of an EV driver hunting for a charging spot vs a a friendly full-service fuel stop at every corner)
  • Oil does not force you to pay thousands of dollars to an electrician to modify your home for your car (cue puppies and unicorns in petroleum land).
  • Oil is so much simpler to use. (EV driver fumbling with adapters and RFID fobs. And the waiting a long time).

This is all in jest. Of course, actual marketing folks around here can probably predict what the smartest moves would be for the Koch think-tanks!

You said it was in jest - but I think you actually likely outlined the typical 80% of Americans out there. Go visit Peoria IL, Dallas or Houston, South Carolina and small-town USA anywhere outside of the big cities. I read your list above and actually said "yeah, those are my neighbors".

You said it was in jest - but I think you actually likely outlined the typical 80% of Americans out there. Go visit Peoria IL, Dallas or Houston, South Carolina and small-town USA anywhere outside of the big cities. I read your list above and actually said "yeah, those are my neighbors".
Hey, we are all former and current ICE drivers. Having recently switched, we know what we gets asked the most, we know what we asked ourselves before doing the switch, and so on.
But if the oil industry doesn't come up with anything better than my list, they're in trouble my friend!

I'm not one bit afraid of this nonsense Koch paid campaign.
Drive a Tesla once and you'll see its the future.
Those kinds of paid lies could make a strong impact in the pre blog/pre youtube ages. But today with the ease of searching the truth with a simple google query, those that want to see the light will see it.
EVs are two years away from an irreversible mass market inflexion point, where we go from 1 million cars / yr to 10 million cars / yr to 100 million cars / yr 5-10 years between each step. All they can do is slow it down.
For every new EV owner, probably a hundred people will get a taste of riding on one. It doesn't take long until a very large % of worldwide middle class want an EV.
24 months until the Model 3 has ramped up production and other car markets will have to follow suit of be left behind.

The ones most able to help are those in red/deep red states. Give rides to as many people as you can. Burst the anti EV bubble. You can do it ! Grass roots will win.

Misinformation can be incredibly powerful and sway people incorrectly for a long period of time. It was used for years to diffuse the facts about smoking and second hand smoke. It has been used for years to dissuade people from looking at climate change and the potential harm of it as well as potential (or real) human cause. Read (or watch the documentary) Merchants of Doubt to see how effect misinformation promoted by certain interest groups can be. Don't underestimate the power behind misinformation and how effective it can be.

Misinformation can be incredibly powerful and sway people incorrectly for a long period of time. It was used for years to diffuse the facts about smoking and second hand smoke. It has been used for years to dissuade people from looking at climate change and the potential harm of it as well as potential (or real) human cause. Read (or watch the documentary) Merchants of Doubt to see how effect misinformation promoted by certain interest groups can be. Don't underestimate the power behind misinformation and how effective it can be.

That was the semi-dark ages before the internet, before youtube, before blogs. The whole Bernie thing going on right now. That would be impossible without the internet. The world is changing. The truly anti democratic forces will soon try to censor the internet everywhere, because they see they no longer can manipulate us to the extent they used to be. PS: Not looking for any political discussion about bernie, just trying to show there Bernie achieved all it did with the whole lamestream media against his movement.

That was the semi-dark ages before the internet, before youtube, before blogs. The whole Bernie thing going on right now. That would be impossible without the internet. The world is changing. The truly anti democratic forces will soon try to censor the internet everywhere, because they see they no longer can manipulate us to the extent they used to be. PS: Not looking for any political discussion about bernie, just trying to show there Bernie achieved all it did with the whole lamestream media against his movement.

All they need to do is cast doubt. People get their "information" from sound bytes - with their busy lives, short attention spans (ha) few take the time to actually dig deeper and educate themselves. Especially when it comes to something so different from what they are used to (ICE cars.)

There are still a HUGE number of people who deny climate change. Just this morning I unfortunately read the comments on a local news story about my (democrat) Senator who is big on environmental issues and especially our oceans (I do live in the "ocean state") - and those comments were very disappointing. WHY do people deny it? Because of deliberate misinformation put forth via "studies" funded by industries that are protecting their interest. Do these people take the time to investigate the source of these studies? NO.

So, I do not have faith that my fellow man can discern the bullshit.

Let the Koch brothers bring it on. At this point I'm convinced all oil execs and people who are too heavily invested in stranded assets are conspiring to say the same thing, to avoid getting fired, and sued by their shareholders, contractors and or partners.

Then again, maybe the Koch's are using this nonsense to mask the Koch's not so secret family history, the same way Ford and GM tried to get the public to forget about WW2.

Washingtonpost.com: Ford and GM Scrutinized for Alleged Nazi Collaboration

Reminds me of this clip from Family Guy:

Last edited:
Let the Koch brothers bring it on. At this point I'm convinced all oil execs and people who are too heavily invested in stranded assets are conspiring to say the same thing, to avoid getting fired, and sued by their shareholders, contractors and or partners.

Then again, maybe the Koch's are using this nonsense to mask the Koch's not so secret family history, the same way Ford and GM tried to get the public to forget about WW2.

Washingtonpost.com: Ford and GM Scrutinized for Alleged Nazi Collaboration

Reminds me of this clip from Family Guy:

I disagree. Attacks on EVs are not what we need.