Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Konig K55 chains on Model Y with 255/40R20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried the K-Summit XL - Size K55 tire chains on a MY with 255/40R20 tires? I’ve seen the chains recommended by Tesla sometimes damage the induction wheels.

They seem to fit based on tire profile and should have a small profile?

If instead you’ve used the König XG-12 Pro 252, did they scratch your rims?

Thank you!

I'm in the same boat. I just picked up my MY with the 20" Induction wheels. I was actually looking at the K-Summit XXL K66 snow chains.

These are listed on the Tesla website for 21" wheels, but the Konig fit guide says they fit.

Any thoughts?

Yes I saw that the Koenig fitting guide indicates that a K66 would also fit. When you actually look at the product page (on etrailer.com) you will see that all of the tire/wheel combos are all slightly larger than our 255/40/20 setup. I checked on a wheel calculator last night and all were approx. .25” larger diameter. Also 255/40/20 is not actually listed on the product page for the k66 but is listed for the k55 (again per Etrailer.com). So it appears that the k66 is a slightly larger model (and that is likely fine) but K55 appears to be the model that lists our actual size as compatible.

Upvote 0
Ok I actually had to break down and RTFM to better understand the product and the installation process. Per the installation manual the k55 is the correct size for a 255/40/20 setup.

It is important to note that this tire chain system (regardless of model size) needs to be sized by the consumer for the particular tires that it will mounted on. This typically entails removal of 1 to 3 “regulation elements” which increase the chain diameter/circumference as appropriate. Some tires size luck out and don’t need asjustmemt for each model. This needs to be done in advance of using the product.

Upvote 0
Ok I actually had to break down and RTFM to better understand the product and the installation process. Per the installation manual the k55 is the correct size for a 255/40/20 setup.

It is important to note that this tire chain system (regardless of model size) needs to be sized by the consumer for the particular tires that it will mounted on. This typically entails removal of 1 to 3 “regulation elements” which increase the chain diameter/circumference as appropriate. Some tires size luck out and don’t need asjustmemt for each model. This needs to be done in advance of using the product.

Steve, this is super helpful. Thanks for doing the legwork on this. I'm going to cancel my K66 order, which was out of stock, and order the K55, which is in stock.

Thanks!

👍

Upvote 0
I actually wrote to Konig and they sent me a new manual showing that the K66 fits the 255/40-20. I also had a change of heart as I wanted the chains to also fit my wife's car, which has larger tires and also calls for the K66.

I just dry fit the K66 on my 255/40-20 tires and it seems to fit as advertised, so I'm going to give it a go.

Attachments

• Konig K-Summit XXL K66 FIt.jpg
    Konig K-Summit XXL K66 FIt.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 559
Upvote 0
Anyone have real experience using the new ones they have on their website?

I've read another thread where it significantly damaged the rim all over, and was scared so I bought the snow socks for my trip. Tesla wouldn't leave that konig one if it damages rims right?
I ordered some of the Konig SC-12 Pro 252 from Tesla when we got our MY in Sept '21. I just recently discovered the threads here about possible damage to our Induction rims, so I dry fit the chains. It looks to me like rim damage is likely, so I requested a return auth from Tesla and will be sending the chains back. Im interested in the Summit XL K55 or K66 setup for our newly upgraded tires (Michelin PS All Season4 255/40/20). Has anyone had a chance to use the Summit's on their Model Y? Would like to hear. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I actually wrote to Konig and they sent me a new manual showing that the K66 fits the 255/40-20. I also had a change of heart as I wanted the chains to also fit my wife's car, which has larger tires and also calls for the K66.

I just dry fit the K66 on my 255/40-20 tires and it seems to fit as advertised, so I'm going to give it a go.
How did the K66's work out with your 255/40-20 tires? I was interested in the K55's but they are backordered until after my trip.

Upvote 0
I just got the K66 chains on my 255/40-20 tires on my Y and did a test fit. Once i get all the default setting setup, it literally takes less than 4 minutes per wheel to install. Most importantly, i have gloss black powder coated 20" Induction wheels and these definitely won't scratch the rims as they're mounted on the tire. Since i have all season tires, i will try my best to not use these chains in SoCal. However, when i was at Mammoth during Christmas time, we got 8 feet of snow in 5 days! So, on my wife's ICE SUV, i did put chains on since it was blizzard conditions.

1646003570510.png

1646003583335.png

Reactions: boulder.dude
Upvote 0
This is in reference to the Model Y with 20" induction wheels. The real reason to use the XXL K66 is because the increase max vehicle weight of 2500kg. The K55 do fit the tire size however weight ~4500lbs or 2041 kg. The K55 is rated to only 4000lbs potentially leading to failure

This is sent via chat support from Konig.
"""
The differences between K55 and K66 are:
K55 chain size covers a different range from K66 chain size.
Also, the K55 has a 4-arm structure instead of the 5 of the k66, moreover, the chain structure is different in terms of group length, arm position, link length.
In addition, the K55 supports a maximum vehicle weight of 2500kg while the k66 is built for suvs or vehicles weighing more than 2500kg.
In your case you need to fit the k66 chain.
available
"""

Reactions: boulder.dude
Upvote 0
This is in reference to the Model Y with 20" induction wheels. The real reason to use the XXL K66 is because the increase max vehicle weight of 2500kg. The K55 do fit the tire size however weight of a model y awd is ~4500lbs or 2041 kg. The K55 is rated to only 4000lbs potentially leading to failure

This is sent via chat support from Konig.
"""
The differences between K55 and K66 are:
K55 chain size covers a different range from K66 chain size.
Also, the K55 has a 4-arm structure instead of the 5 of the k66, moreover, the chain structure is different in terms of group length, arm position, link length.
In addition, the K55 supports a maximum vehicle weight of 2500kg while the k66 is built for suvs or vehicles weighing more than 2500kg.
In your case you need to fit the k66 chain.
available
"""

Upvote 0
I want to share my experience of using K55 on Model Y.
I got them as they fit my Model S and my wife's Model Y (with removing extension pin). I used them once on Model S last year in Mammoth. No issues.
2 days ago I tried them in Tahoe. The first one slipped off after 5 miles of driving. The second a couple miles later.
I think the reason is the bolts/nuts in model Y are located not deep enough, comparing to Model S rims.

Upvote 0