Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

KQED QUEST: Who Will Revive the Electric Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
Who Will Revive the Electric Car? - KQED QUEST Radio Report

Who Will Revive the Electric Car? KQED QUEST - a set on Flickr

2557080686_ec7cce6a95.jpg

2556255241_2b992ffa21.jpg

Last edited:
I hope they show it as a Quest TV show.
So far it looks like just an audio show with flickr images to go along.
They must have HD video ready to produce into a TV show, but I don't see it listed on the upcoming schedule.

I hope they show it as a Quest TV show.
So far it looks like just an audio show with flickr images to go along.
They must have HD video ready to produce into a TV show, but I don't see it listed on the upcoming schedule.
I think they just produced it for the radio. The Tesla images were apparently from a Lehrer News Hour report, while the RAV4EV images were pictures they took for the report.

Here's a supplement:

Reporter's Notes: Who Will Revive the Electric Car? | QUEST Community Science Blog - KQED

One of the best parts of working on this story was stumbling upon a subculture of electric car fanatics, like Darell Dickey, many of whom drive incredibly rare, full-size all-electric cars that were available for a blink of an eye in the late 90s and early 2000s. There are just hundreds of these cars left today and they’ve become collector’s items. One EV enthusiast I interviewed flew out to Arizona at his own expense so that a car dealership could interview him to decide whether he was worthy of a 1998 GM electric truck...

Last edited:
Last edited:
I found it interesting/odd that VP13 was plugged into an old style level 2 (typically avcon) type charging station, not Tesla' own charge controller.

The PCS in the video looked like this one (on the left):
95678_5b.jpg

Found another picture of that ICS-200 / TS-90 charging station Tesla is using:
Tesla-charger.jpg

(Who can read the little print on that label? "Report all Failures to Proper Personnel?")

http://www.evchargernews.com/miscfiles/evii/ics200ug.pdf

Joseph said:
... Tesla Motors, at first, did their own in-house designing for charging. ... {later}, they hired Clipper Creek (they used to be called EVI, ev infrastructure, and did all the conductive AVCON chargers during the ZEV mandate era) to do work on the Tesla charging system. ...

http://et.epri.com/documents/E229630_05_Scholer_June_2008.pdf
http://et.epri.com/documents/E22963...aseDevWorkshop_0203Jun08_Mtg_Minutes_JCMa.pdf
http://www.energy.ca.gov/2008_energ...op/presentations/Energy_Storage-Schainker.pdf

Last edited:
"...do they ever claim it specifically?"

I don't think Tesla is allowed.

I don't know the details, but I've been told that it is basically illegal to charge an EV in public. I'm sure it's okay for converted cars (since it's not an OEM making the car) but for OEMs (like Tesla!) they need to comply to laws. And my impression is that some sort of standardization is required.

And the last time there was "standardization" was during the ZEV mandate. Everyone knows what happened: conductive vs. inductive, chargers breaking down etc.

I don't know if CARB has passed any legislation; I really don't know what's happening exactly but it's something among the lines of what I'm saying.

But I do know there is no SAE standard for EV chargers (there is one for PHEVs however).

As far as I'm concerned, it's a bunch of fuss over people getting electrocuted by chargers. All the while gas stations are lined up on every block, posing an enormous flammable hazard.

Last edited:
And the last time there was "standardization" was during the ZEV mandate. Everyone knows what happened: conductive vs. inductive, chargers breaking down etc.

For what it's worth, there are lots of those ICS-200b charging stations in semi-public places (including outdoors) with Avcon connectors around here. I plug my truck into them at various city halls, airports, and some large "big box" stores. They have been working for a decade now, although some grassroots volunteer groups have done some work to maintain them.