Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kroger to add 225 L2 charging stations on the west coast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even better, 25 DC stations is great
While I will never complain about a business adding EV charging, anything less than DC charging at a place like Kroger's doesn't help much -- at least for a Model S owner. Supermarkets aren't a destination for me; I drive 2 miles to the nearest one, or 3 miles to the nearest Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. What help, really, does having a charger in a retail establishment like Kroger's provide?

What help, really, does having a charger in a retail establishment like Kroger's provide?
Unless you are an exceptionally slow shopper (like myself), retail parking provides next to no benefit financially; but it does give me a front row parking spot at the local Whole Foods (which is very crowded most of the time, and has led me to meet any number of folks that either parked their EV in the adjacent spot or are interested in EVs)

I like to think of them as EV concierge level advocacy parking spots!

While I will never complain about a business adding EV charging, anything less than DC charging at a place like Kroger's doesn't help much -- at least for a Model S owner. Supermarkets aren't a destination for me; I drive 2 miles to the nearest one, or 3 miles to the nearest Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. What help, really, does having a charger in a retail establishment like Kroger's provide?

The biggest help that those type of charging stations provide is for Plug-in hybrids that have a 10 mile or 20 mile battery. You can get a good percentage charge in an hour of shopping. You're right, those charging stations are not meant for a Tesla with mega-range. That's what the Supercharging sites are for (when you're traveling especially), otherwise your garage is the best place to charge...

The biggest help that those type of charging stations provide is for Plug-in hybrids that have a 10 mile or 20 mile battery. You can get a good percentage charge in an hour of shopping. You're right, those charging stations are not meant for a Tesla with mega-range. That's what the Supercharging sites are for (when you're traveling especially), otherwise your garage is the best place to charge...

I agree, I will plug my volt in with every opportunity, as ever hour plugged in is 10 miles less I have to drive on gas ( and I do end up using gas every day). For cars like the C-Max Energi with 6.6 charging, there is an even larger benefit. Also, while cars with long legs like the Model S might not necessarily need these chargers, they will provide a very important safety net for car like the iMiev and Leaf, giving drivers the confidence to use the entire range of their car.

Every day when I leave work, I drive by a Krogers. If it had a L2 charger, I would do my grocery shopping there after work, instead of going to the Biggs near my house, as a short stop there might allow me to get all the way home on electrons. This is a good move for krogers, and a good thing for EV's in general.

The more charging stations that are out there and visible, the better! Much of the general public still has little knowledge or even awareness of PHEVs and BEVs, so having more charging stations at businesses is a good thing. Even if you don't really need a charge, I would still try to use these when possible for more "Tesla Time". I would also make a point to tell the store manager that I appreciated the fact that they had chargers available.

Many of the L2 charging stations in the Seattle area are at grocery store locations or at walgreens. I drive a ford focus electric and have used more than one of these and visited the nearest Starbucks or similar. I drink my tea, eat some fruit and cheese while reading for 1 hour and continue on my way. I only do it when I end up in Seattle after commuting to work on the Eastside. It allows me to get home on a 100 mile day.

This type of usage is not a big deal for Tesla owners unless they can't charge at their domicile. I did have a co-worker who was redoing his driveway and so couldn't charge at home for a week. He charged at the work adjacent Walgreens that week.