Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kuat 2.0 hitch pin hack / tip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

spokey

Aug 8, 2020
Flagtown
I got an NV 2.0 Base rack a couple months ago and as most know, the hitch pin that comes with it doesn't work with the model Y

As some have reported, you can get a previous version of the hitch pin lock. But those have a different keying. A 3 digit key code vs a 4 digit key code. So when Kuat sent the replacement I had keep 2 keys around. I was going to buy a spare set of keys and noticed that the same listing had both types of cores so I contacted Kuat. They verified that the cores were interchangeable and sent me a set of cores that matched the bike/cable locks. I replaced the core in the hitch pin and now have a common key for the hitch pin and bike locks.

I have to hand it to Kuat. Great customer service. Sent me a free replacement hitch pin. And when I was going to buy the replacement lock core, they just said no and sent me one for free. Actually better than that, they were out of the 1 or 2 core sets so sent a 4 core set so I didn't have to wait.

I can only say good things about the Kuat customer support.

One note. The new cores did not come with instructions. They are on the site but I've changed cores out before so didn't go there. I got the old one out but then pulled out the pin you push in to release the core. DON'T DO THAT. It lets the internal locking bit to rotate to a position that doesn't work when you put the new core in. The internal bits can be rotated back and the pin re-inserted but it was a real pain and took awhile.

I have a 1Up and had to grind off the end of the hitch pin. My modification was pretty straightforward sounds like maybe yours was less so.

The upside to the pain in the ass pin placement I suppose is the rack snuggles really close to the back and it is damned near impossible to get a grinder or any kind of cutter in there to steal it.

I have a 1Up and had to grind off the end of the hitch pin. My modification was pretty straightforward sounds like maybe yours was less so.

The upside to the pain in the ass pin placement I suppose is the rack snuggles really close to the back and it is damned near impossible to get a grinder or any kind of cutter in there to steal it.
Mine was only a pain because I screwed it up. If I had read the directions it would have taken about 2 minutes.

I called Kuat and they just sent me out a new hitch pin and cores as well. Not touching my hitch pins again after I did something incredibly stupid.

I actually managed to get the newer locking pin onto the hitch and locked in. The space is almost an exact fit with very little space. Since the lock is spring loaded I just placed the lock at the hole and pushed the pin in and it clicked. It was in there tight and locked but no gap to put a key in to remove it. I had to disassemble the wiring thing to the left to make millimeters of space just to fit the key in to remove the lock. I cut up my fingers really good doing that.

Reactions: spokey
I called Kuat and they just sent me out a new hitch pin and cores as well. Not touching my hitch pins again after I did something incredibly stupid.

I actually managed to get the newer locking pin onto the hitch and locked in. The space is almost an exact fit with very little space. Since the lock is spring loaded I just placed the lock at the hole and pushed the pin in and it clicked. It was in there tight and locked but no gap to put a key in to remove it. I had to disassemble the wiring thing to the left to make millimeters of space just to fit the key in to remove the lock. I cut up my fingers really good doing that.
Glad to see there are still people as dopey as me around.

As for cutting up your fingers, I don't believe humans can work on a car without some sort of blood sacrifice. Even a Tesla demands such fealty