Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kuat bike rack video for the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After further review, I believe MY max tongue weight is 350lbs. The 120lbs is referring the hitch rack weight limit Tesla offers as an accessory. So, you can’t hang more than 120lbs on Tesla’s bike rack, but if you buy other bike racks or platforms ans don’t exceed 350lbs, I’m confident it will be fine. Going to keep the hitch option after all.
This is the incorrect interpretation. The tongue weight is for force applied by a trailer with its own wheels causing the tongue force to press vertically down on the ball. A bike rack or other accessory will produce a torque, rotating around the hitch attachment point under the vehicle instead of a vertical force. The accessory weight limit is rated based on this difference.

It would be nice of Tesla gave a torque rating, and distance from torque point to hitch pin so that advanced users could calculate the accessory weight that can be supported at various distances from the hitch pin, but they don't. All we know is that they calculated that 160lbs is safe for some reasonable length of accessory.

Reactions: Redekw
You got the lock on with the factory tow package? I tried for probably 10 minutes and didn't see how it would be possible without torquing the electrical hookup to the point of breaking.
Yeah, but it was really tough. The key part of the lock goes on the right. The handle bar goes on the left. You have to fit the left side of it under the place where trailer electric attachment is, get the head of it behind that electric piece, and then you can thread it through the hole and attach the lock to it.

A real pain! Better to get an aftermarket lock that you insert from the right side with a small lock on it that will fit in the small space.

I made a short video about bike rack and hitches for the Model Y. I know I had a bunch of questions when I was searching for a bike rack. I talk about things like range increases, aftermarket vs tesla hitch, the Kuat rack itself. Let me know if you have any questions!

Appreciate the review. I was set on getting the Tesla bike rack, but the Küat appears to be a much better option after watching your video.

I have the Kuat bike rack. It is great. I have the standard Tesla hitch. Even with the L shaped lock mentioned a few messages above, it is a real pain putting the lock on because of the electrical socket. I never plan to tow a trailer with this car--just use the bike rack. Is it possible to move or even remove the electrical socket to make it easier to put the L shaped lock on?

Has anyone figured out a solution aside from adding a 7” extender to opening the hatch when its in the tilted up position? I just got the Kuat NV 2.0. I’m super worried I’m going to accidentally open the truck with it up but I’m just as worried about adding more leverage to an already limited vertical weight capacity.

Is possible for one single person to install or to remove the Kuat bike rack and to carry it?
Or do you really need to get this cart to carry it from your garage to you car?
And how much does the rack weight?

s-l1600.jpg

Is possible for one single person to install or to remove the Kuat bike rack and to carry it?
Or do you really need to get this cart to carry it from your garage to you car?
And how much does the rack weight?

View attachment 927091
Totally possible for one person. I bought one last year and used it about 5 times now. A bit heavier than my previous Thule rack but at 55lb(?) it isn’t too heavy.

I put on a 7" extender so the bike rack would be further from the car and I could open the hatch without hitting the rack. I didn't like it and removed it. I just made a point each time I put the rack on the car to tell myself not to open the rear hatch. So far it has worked!

The rack is certainly heavy, but I am able to lift it and carry it the 50 feet from where I store it to the car and am able to put it on the car. No assistance needed. Doable, but not easy.

I have the Kuat NV 2.0.
For the pin/lock I didn't have an issue. I put the L side on the right with the barrel lock on the left next to the electrical socket.
As others mention I am worried about accidental trunk opening and striking the rack or bikes. It would be nice if Tesla added a setting I can toggle on when the hitch is mounted to ask the use to confirm the open request, or add a pin to open the trunk.

I'm considering switching to a QuickrStuff rack with a single tray and making different side parts to move the rack down slightly to clear the hatch when the rack is in the full up position.

I made a short video about bike rack and hitches for the Model Y. I know I had a bunch of questions when I was searching for a bike rack. I talk about things like range increases, aftermarket vs tesla hitch, the Kuat rack itself. Let me know if you have any questions!

For anyone looking at this thread. I recently got a kuat NV 2.0 for my Model Y and it is a great rack easy to put on. It had one issue. There is not enough space to get the hitch pin in with the supplied rack. I contacted support and they already had a new lock designed. Just need to give them the key number and they are sending me a new one.

For anyone looking at this thread. I recently got a kuat NV 2.0 for my Model Y and it is a great rack easy to put on. It had one issue. There is not enough space to get the hitch pin in with the supplied rack. I contacted support and they already had a new lock designed. Just need to give them the key number and they are sending me a new one.
Can you post a pic of the hitch pin you couldn't get to work? Mine works. Just curious if it's different.
Looking at the manual there are two different pins that they could have used.
Page 7 shows them. Mine came with the side entry and I'm able to get that to work if the lock is on the left.