Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kuat bike rack video for the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: ArtK
I have a factory tow hitch on my Model Y and am borrowing my son's Kuat bike rack. It fit just fine--except I can't open the truck without tilting the rack forward. So I got an eTrailer extension about 7-3/4" to move the rack out far enough to allow the trunk to open. The extension fits in the hitch fine, but when I put the Kuat bike rack on, it is about 3/8" short of being far enough forward to put in the safety pin. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to fix it? Is there a trailer extension to recommend that fits the Kuat rack properly?
Thanks for your help.

This single one, 2″ Super Duty Single – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE
Or Hollywood's Sport Rider for Electric Bikes

Can't go wrong with either, but I like the security features included with the Hollywood rack.

The 1Up DOES has a lock that you can put on it. I will admit though, that it's a tricky reach to get in there on the Tesla Hitch, but that also means a thief will never be able to get a tool on the lock. Also, the fasteners on the 1Up are the 'safety hexes' where the center of the hex wrench needs to be drilled out for it to work.

I have a factory tow hitch on my Model Y and am borrowing my son's Kuat bike rack. It fit just fine--except I can't open the truck without tilting the rack forward. So I got an eTrailer extension about 7-3/4" to move the rack out far enough to allow the trunk to open. The extension fits in the hitch fine, but when I put the Kuat bike rack on, it is about 3/8" short of being far enough forward to put in the safety pin. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to fix it? Is there a trailer extension to recommend that fits the Kuat rack properly?
Thanks for your help.
Are you tilting the Kuat rack backwards with the foot pedal by the hitch? Not sure which Kuat rack you’re using but my NV allows me to tilt the rack so I can open my trunk.

I made a short video about bike rack and hitches for the Model Y. I know I had a bunch of questions when I was searching for a bike rack. I talk about things like range increases, aftermarket vs tesla hitch, the Kuat rack itself. Let me know if you have any questions!

That’s awesome bro. I have a Yakima system on my current ICE. I like it because it also has a ski attachment. I have to figure out a ski option. With my MY I’m thinking of your system. How much taller are the bikes sitting over the roof? Thank you for the info.

Are you tilting the Kuat rack backwards with the foot pedal by the hitch? Not sure which Kuat rack you’re using but my NV allows me to tilt the rack so I can open my trunk.

Yes, I have the NV and can tilt and open. I'm just afraid that someone (me!) will accidentally push the 'open trunk' icon in the car when the bike rack it up and the trunk door will hit the rack. The extension would prevent this accident.

Nice review. One issue with the Kuat and most others is for bikes that have fenders.

That's why, for example, the Hollywood Sportrider SE2 has an advantage in that it secures the bikes by their frame (top crossbar). Some bikes with non-horizontal crossbars, of course, may not work well, and some bike owners are very fussy about anything touching their frame.

With a single eBike on the Hollywood rack, I only saw about a 10Wh/mi hit on two 500 mile drives. Your setup with two bikes has a lot more places to increase drag, so it's not surprising you're getting a bigger hit on consumption.

You mentioned on your video that with the two-additional bike extension on the Kuat, those third and fourth bikes can only be 40lb each.

Here's the issue: Rack is 50lb, let's call all four of your four bikes 40lb each. 210lb.

Even two 60lb e-bikes with the Kuat for a total of 170lb would exceed the vertical load limit of 160lb the Tesla MY hitch.

I would not expect third party racks to have any higher limit than Tesla's OEM hitch.
This is bumming me out. I have the factory hitch on order and was planning on being able to transport 4 ebikes but the low load limit of the hitch makes that basically impossible. I guess I’m going to cancel it now since I really didn’t intend to tow. Thx for the help and info from everyone in this community!

This is bumming me out. I have the factory hitch on order and was planning on being able to transport 4 ebikes but the low load limit of the hitch makes that basically impossible. I guess I’m going to cancel it now since I really didn’t intend to tow. Thx for the help and info from everyone in this community!
After further review, I believe MY max tongue weight is 350lbs. The 120lbs is referring the hitch rack weight limit Tesla offers as an accessory. So, you can’t hang more than 120lbs on Tesla’s bike rack, but if you buy other bike racks or platforms ans don’t exceed 350lbs, I’m confident it will be fine. Going to keep the hitch option after all.

After further review, I believe MY max tongue weight is 350lbs. The 120lbs is referring the hitch rack weight limit Tesla offers as an accessory. So, you can’t hang more than 120lbs on Tesla’s bike rack, but if you buy other bike racks or platforms ans don’t exceed 350lbs, I’m confident it will be fine. Going to keep the hitch option after all.
Does anyone have a platform rack and was able to carry 4 bikes with the MY? I have the Kuat NV 2.0 with the 2 bike extension and would love to be able to use it with MY. Able to pull the trigger to purchase the car.

Congrats! Note that if you have the Tesla OEM hitch, you will need to buy a hitch lock with an L-shaped lock since there is not enough room to insert the included Kuat hitch bar between the hitch receiver and electrical socket. Either of these alternative locks would work:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Lock/Kuat/HL2.html

https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufac...qid=1605049509&sprefix=curt+hitch+lock&sr=8-8

OMG, thank you for this. Tried to install the Kuat nv with my factory tow hitch and thought I was totally screwed. Had no idea there were alternative locks like this. Lousy design from Kuat though.

OMG, thank you for this. Tried to install the Kuat nv with my factory tow hitch and thought I was totally screwed. Had no idea there were alternative locks like this. Lousy design from Kuat though.
You’re welcome. I bought the Curt hitch lock since it has a nice tight fit to avoid rattling.

The original Kuat lock works in many other vehicles which have much more room than the Tesla Y around the tow hitch.

I was able to get the hitch lock on, but it was really tough.

With four bikes you can't lower them enough to open the rear hatch on the car. I got a 7" extension and now the rear hatch opens fine. The hitch lock for the extension was easy to put on and the Kuat lock works fine in the extended location.

When I put the Kuat into the extension, the locking pin wouldn't go through. I had roughly 1/4" cut off and it is now fine.

With four bikes you can't lower them enough to open the rear hatch on the car. I got a 7" extension and now the rear hatch opens fine. The hitch lock for the extension was easy to put on and the Kuat lock works fine in the extended location.

When I put the Kuat into the extension, the locking pin wouldn't go through. I had roughly 1/4" cut off and it is now fine.
Four bikes on a rack on a 7" extended hitch? That 7" lever magnifies the stress on the hitch.

Be vewy vewy careful.

You got the lock on with the factory tow package? I tried for probably 10 minutes and didn't see how it would be possible without torquing the electrical hookup to the point of breaking.