Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

KW V3 Coilovers now available for Performance AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up for anyone that was waiting for this set. I spoke to them and they said they are made to order and have about 6-8 week delivery time. Have mine on order =D

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/catal...ver-v3-tesla-model-3-awd-35287007/category/4/

Technically, they've been available through Mountainpass performance for a little while now. Probably the same amount of time waiting for delivery, too. Any reason you went direct through KW versus through MPP?

Just a heads up for anyone that was waiting for this set. I spoke to them and they said they are made to order and have about 6-8 week delivery time. Have mine on order =D

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/catal...ver-v3-tesla-model-3-awd-35287007/category/4/

here's where I would be super cautious about purchasing direct from KW for several reasons:
1) there is no picture so there's no way of knowing what the similarities and differences might be between this and the Mountain Pass Performance Kit. It could have no differences, trivial differences or big differences. If it's the latter, then they're all kinds of questions about whether they've improved the kit or perhaps 'deproved' it. The latter of course is unlikely but you just don't know. At the very least it won't have the front strut top column and probably will just have the helper springs. You'll have to decide based on virtually no systematic surveys whether the top column is better than the helper springs. But that was an MPP designed part and most certainly is not in the KW kit.
2) it's significantly more money
3) if you have a problem you're dealing with KW vs. MPP. That's no contest. KW is like the Department of Defense, while MPP time and time again has proven their integrity and commitment to the Tesla community. KW on the other hand is probably a technically high-quality outfit but committed to their bottom line.
4) most critically, we don't know whether or not KW signed a non-compete Clause with MPP. If they did, they are violating it. Plus we have to believe that MPP did most of the development work around building a spec list rather than KW. I believe in rewarding people who do the grunt work. In any case it's possible that KW did not promise to non-compete, but only MPP can clarify that. If they are violating a non-compete clause, that's really deplorable and would be a final and excellent reason not to buy from them. But again we don't know. They wouldn't be the first outfit to do an end-run around that kind of agreement. Even if they didn't sign a non-compete clause, funneling kits into their stock pipeline takes them out of MPP stock which MPP says has been almost impossible to create. So even best case scenario, it's sketchy from the standpoint of KW business practice as it says that they are willing to short a developer / distributor in order to sell their own kits.

For all these reasons, I'd suggest a lot of caution about buying direct from KW. I would strongly encourage people to support MPP because they are supporting us.

Last edited:
here's where I would be super cautious about purchasing direct from KW for several reasons:
1) there is no picture so there's no way of knowing what the similarities and differences might be between this and the Mountain Pass Performance Kit. It could have no differences, trivial differences or big differences. If it's the latter, then they're all kinds of questions about whether they've improved the kit or perhaps 'deproved' it. The latter of course is unlikely but you just don't know. At the very least it won't have the front strut top column and probably will just have the helper springs. You'll have to decide based on virtually no systematic surveys whether the top column is better than the helper springs. But that was an MPP designed part and most certainly is not in the KW kit.
2) it's significantly more money
3) if you have a problem you're dealing with KW vs. MPP. That's no contest. KW is like the Department of Defense, while MPP time and time again has proven their integrity and commitment to the Tesla community. KW on the other hand is probably a technically high-quality outfit but committed to their bottom line.
4) most critically, we don't know whether or not KW signed a non-compete Clause with MPP. If they did, they are violating it. Plus we have to believe that MPP did most of the development work around building a spec list rather than KW. I believe in rewarding people who do the grunt work. In any case it's possible that KW did not promise to non-compete, but only MPP can clarify that. If they are violating a non-compete clause, that's really deplorable and would be a final and excellent reason not to buy from them. But again we don't know. They wouldn't be the first outfit to do an end-run around that kind of agreement. Even if they didn't sign a non-compete clause, funneling kits into their stock pipeline takes them out of MPP stock which MPP says has been almost impossible to create. So even best case scenario, it's sketchy from the standpoint of KW business practice as it says that they are willing to short a developer / distributor in order to sell their own kits.

For all these reasons, I'd suggest a lot of caution about buying direct from KW. I would strongly encourage people to support MPP because they are supporting us.

Whoa, I mean what you are saying could be true, but that's a lot of ifs and assumptions and you're being quite defensive... you know KW has an excellent track record of producing coilovers for many applications for many years right? Why do you think MPP even sourced from them?

1) you can see some in the installation guide
2) $250 is "significantly more money"?
3) You could say the same for the other way around, who knows how long MPP will stick around? KW has been around for how long? plus I'm working with a local authorized dealer/installer (one that I have a prior relationship with when I had my Audi) - Honestly I wouldn't be too concerned either way, MPP seems to be great with their support
4) this is all assumptions, you're implying that KW doesn't do "grunt work" to develop and test their kits?

I'm not trying to start a war between MPP and KW, I'm just going with KW because that's what I had in the past. I'm sure they are both excellent kits

Reactions: jipvk and 67King
Whoa, I mean what you are saying could be true, but that's a lot of ifs and assumptions and you're being quite defensive... you know KW has an excellent track record of producing coilovers for many applications for many years right? Why do you think MPP even sourced from them?

3) You could say the same for the other way around, who knows how long MPP will stick around? KW has been around for how long? plus I'm working with a local authorized dealer/installer (one that I have a prior relationship with when I had my Audi) - Honestly I wouldn't be too concerned either way, MPP seems to be great with their support
4) this is all assumptions, you're implying that KW doesn't do "grunt work" to develop and test their kits?

I'm not trying to start a war between MPP and KW, I'm just going with KW because that's what I had in the past. I'm sure they are both excellent kits

Not sure how my post was remotely 'defensive'. I'm just trying to make people aware of contingencies they may not be thinking about. KW makes really good stuff, but I don't see any reason why any of my concerns should be dismissed out of hand. And we don't know how much of the spec and trial fitting work was done by KW vs. MPP. My money is on MPP doing most of the hard work to create a basic specification.

the price difference is $350

@MountainPass was always transparent about the fact that MPP Sports Coilover is manufactured by KW per their spec. They even blogged about their trip to KW. Leveraging large manufacture to get a boutique branded product is the standard practice for consumer products. The market is big enough for multiple companies selling essentially the same product with different tuning. As consumers, we have options to support the brands that resonate with us we. Personally I like blue over purple. If Tein would make one, I would switch to green in a heart beat. ;)

IMG_2184.JPG

@MountainPass was always transparent about the fact that MPP Sports Coilover is manufactured by KW per their spec. They even blogged about their trip to KW. Leveraging large manufacture to get a boutique branded product is the standard practice for consumer products. The market is big enough for multiple companies selling essentially the same product with different tuning. As consumers, we have options to support the brands that resonate with us we. Personally I like blue over purple. If Tein would make one, I would switch to green in a heart beat. ;)

View attachment 436278

agreed, competition is good, both brands are good... I'm honestly excited for the yellow/purple combo as well (very recognizable in the greater community)

you mentioned Teins, I loved my set on my RSX back in the day =D