Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kwh/mile for 75d with 20” OEM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone with a 75d and 20” oem wheels could test out and tell me their average kWh/mile consumption over 15+ miles while cruising at 75mph with no AC on.

I’ve got a 75d with 22” onyx black and I’m trying to determine how much they are actually costing me in range.

I drove a trip today. On flat road with cruise control on in 65 degree weather I average 387 kWh/mile. Which I think would mean I should get around 193 miles per 100% charge (75000/387). Let me know if I have over simplified this.

I don’t want to switch to 20” wheels if i won’t see an improvement on road trips. I don’t need the range for daily driving.

Driving from Anaheim to Irvine on the 5 has minimal elevation changes. When there was no traffic I was getting about 348Wh/mi WITH AC on. I think I was getting about low 330s when I had no AC running once on the freeway but I don't remember the speed.

That seems to go with the consensus of 10-15% improvement between 22s and 20s. We've had lots of Santa Ana winds lately though and that actually makes a big difference in the numbers though.

Driving from Anaheim to Irvine on the 5 has minimal elevation changes. When there was no traffic I was getting about 348Wh/mi WITH AC on. I think I was getting about low 330s when I had no AC running once on the freeway but I don't remember the speed.

That seems to go with the consensus of 10-15% improvement between 22s and 20s. We've had lots of Santa Ana winds lately though and that actually makes a big difference in the numbers though.

Thanks!! I’m in so cal too. Next time you think of it would you mind testing 75mph with no ac for 5-15 miles. I don’t think it was windy the day I drove from central Cal to Carlsbad.

You two need to meet up for a literal side by side comparison with the same load (adjusted for your weight difference), A/C, range mode, suspension, etc. Maybe if you have different mileage on your tires, that can be considered part of wheel size, but control everything else. Even a front to back comparison has potential for drafting, you have to be side by side blocking both lanes of highway at the same cruise speed to make a meaningful comparison.

You two need to meet up for a literal side by side comparison with the same load (adjusted for your weight difference), A/C, range mode, suspension, etc. Maybe if you have different mileage on your tires, that can be considered part of wheel size, but control everything else. Even a front to back comparison has potential for drafting, you have to be side by side blocking both lanes of highway at the same cruise speed to make a meaningful comparison.

Ya. There are a lot of factors. I’m consistently getting that 387 number. Wife and 100lbs of kids in the car :)

I’m not looking for a 100% perfect test. I believe that I’m getting hit with 15% around town because of the wheels. I just didn’t know if once the car is in constant motion for an extended period of time if the wheels still cost me 15%. 196 miles per 100% charge at 75mph is less than the 225 the 75 should get but I don’t know if that 225 is at 65mph with a tail wind.

And just for the record: I love the wheels. They came on the CPO I purchased. I don’t think I’ll get rid of them for 20s (unless the tire replacement gets extreme). I just want to know how much they might be costing me on family road trips. That is the only time I need the range and stopping more often isn’t convenient with a newborn.

There's this info if you haven't already seen it:-

Tesla Model S and Model X: Here’s how wheel size can affect efficiency

According to those numbers in the above article and Tesla's own general 10-15% guideline you would expect the MX to be at the high end of that range going from 20" to 22" OEM rims. Rolling resistance and aero are the two major factors affecting these results, not so much wheel mass. Looks like the 22" Pirelli Scorpions are particularly sticky tyres!

I was wondering if anyone with a 75d and 20” oem wheels could test out and tell me their average kWh/mile consumption over 15+ miles while cruising at 75mph with no AC on.

I’ve got a 75d with 22” onyx black and I’m trying to determine how much they are actually costing me in range.

I drove a trip today. On flat road with cruise control on in 65 degree weather I average 387 kWh/mile. Which I think would mean I should get around 193 miles per 100% charge (75000/387). Let me know if I have over simplified this.

I don’t want to switch to 20” wheels if i won’t see an improvement on road trips. I don’t need the range for daily driving.

I have a 75D and drove about 15,000 miles on both 20's and 22's. The average consumption is higher; I have several posts across this forum with actual numbers based on testing on highway, local, towing, etc. I do keep my trip B for thousands of miles and on average; the 20's got me about 380wh/mi and the 22's got me 415wh/mi - or about a 9.2% increase in usage.

There was only one time where I was on 22's that I wish I had 20's and that was doing a 10 hour trip while towing a trailer. With that said; I've moved back to 20's and sold my 22's. The 22's look great; but on my 20's with Nokian WG3s I've gotten as low as 230wh/mi (@50mph) and average about 350wh/mi when I'm being carefree. My performance and handling has taken a noticable hit; but the ride quality is increased greatly.

• Helpful
Reactions: thisisdiddy
I have a 75D and drove about 15,000 miles on both 20's and 22's. The average consumption is higher; I have several posts across this forum with actual numbers based on testing on highway, local, towing, etc. I do keep my trip B for thousands of miles and on average; the 20's got me about 380wh/mi and the 22's got me 415wh/mi - or about a 9.2% increase in usage.

There was only one time where I was on 22's that I wish I had 20's and that was doing a 10 hour trip while towing a trailer. With that said; I've moved back to 20's and sold my 22's. The 22's look great; but on my 20's with Nokian WG3s I've gotten as low as 230wh/mi (@50mph) and average about 350wh/mi when I'm being carefree. My performance and handling has taken a noticable hit; but the ride quality is increased greatly.
Thanks!!!

Thanks!! I’m in so cal too. Next time you think of it would you mind testing 75mph with no ac for 5-15 miles. I don’t think it was windy the day I drove from central Cal to Carlsbad.

Just drove from Irvine to Cerritos (waited at Costco for the election traffic to clear out). I didn't use control but stayed pretty tightly in the 72 to 78 range in the empty HOV. I don't draft at all for fear of rocks to the windshield.

So with NO AC running and carrying the same 5 people as the previous run I averaged 320WH/mi (as compared to the 348 with the AC on).

I turned off chill mode and am really enjoying the passing acceleration when I need it (I drove a minivan for 10 years and even with 300HP in the minivan you just accept getting stuck behind slow vehicles). Even with a few fun launches and full throttle events I still average under 350WH/mi average since my last charge. The BMS seems to use a lot of power at system start up so I threw out that part when getting my 15 mile averages.

More than 1/2 my mileage is in city doing quick start/stops and short trips - this was killing the mileage on my minivan. The X does fine with it and even goes closer to 280WH/mi if you turn on chill mode and drive it like a Prius.

I think the 22"s are fine as long as you pull the cruise speed down a little - maybe 72 or 70. The air resistive force really builds up as you head towards 80mph. Fortunately Legoland is in your backyard. I gave up my Disneyland annual pass when they because more expensive than 1st class tickets to Europe - my kids enjoyed Legoland more anyways because it was less crowded and the waterpark is awesome.

I think the 22"s are fine as long as you pull the cruise speed down a little - maybe 72 or 70. The air resistive force really builds up as you head towards 80mph.

That's right, air resistance (drag force) is proportional to the square of your speed and the power required is proportional to the cube of your speed! So just going from 70 to 72 mph requires an 8% increase in power. Therefore a relatively small reduction in your cruising speed will compensate for the extra rolling resistance of 22" wheels/tyres. If the range reduction is around 10-15% for the 22" wheels, you only need to reduce your highway cruising speed by about 3 mph to compensate and therefore maintain the same range as before. Whether or not you would do that in practice is debatable, but it's always a very effective option when needing to stretch out your range to reach a charger or destination.

Tested our Model X 100D with 22s vs 20s, and correcting for temperature for all the data we had a 20% increase in WHr/mile moving from 20s to 22s. I used a few months worth of driving data for the comparison.

Tested our Model X 100D with 22s vs 20s, and correcting for temperature for all the data we had a 20% increase in WHr/mile moving from 20s to 22s. I used a few months worth of driving data for the comparison.

That's pretty much in line with the tests carried out in the article I linked to earlier. Certainly quite significant if you don't wish to compromise on cruising speeds.

That's right, air resistance (drag force) is proportional to the square of your speed and the power required is proportional to the cube of your speed! So just going from 70 to 72 mph requires an 8% increase in power. Therefore a relatively small reduction in your cruising speed will compensate for the extra rolling resistance of 22" wheels/tyres. If the range reduction is around 10-15% for the 22" wheels, you only need to reduce your highway cruising speed by about 3 mph to compensate and therefore maintain the same range as before. Whether or not you would do that in practice is debatable, but it's always a very effective option when needing to stretch out your range to reach a charger or destination.

That’s encouraging! I think I can keep it at 74 or 75 on my road trips to central cal and not really notice the difference. Since there is no supercharger in the middle of the grapevine the extra 30 miles doesn’t make a difference. I’ll gave to stop in Santa Clarita when going north and Tejon when going south.

My complex just installed free tesla charging so on a day to day I don’t care about my range.

Just drove from Irvine to Cerritos (waited at Costco for the election traffic to clear out). I didn't use control but stayed pretty tightly in the 72 to 78 range in the empty HOV. I don't draft at all for fear of rocks to the windshield.

So with NO AC running and carrying the same 5 people as the previous run I averaged 320WH/mi (as compared to the 348 with the AC on).

I turned off chill mode and am really enjoying the passing acceleration when I need it (I drove a minivan for 10 years and even with 300HP in the minivan you just accept getting stuck behind slow vehicles). Even with a few fun launches and full throttle events I still average under 350WH/mi average since my last charge. The BMS seems to use a lot of power at system start up so I threw out that part when getting my 15 mile averages.

More than 1/2 my mileage is in city doing quick start/stops and short trips - this was killing the mileage on my minivan. The X does fine with it and even goes closer to 280WH/mi if you turn on chill mode and drive it like a Prius.

I think the 22"s are fine as long as you pull the cruise speed down a little - maybe 72 or 70. The air resistive force really builds up as you head towards 80mph. Fortunately Legoland is in your backyard. I gave up my Disneyland annual pass when they because more expensive than 1st class tickets to Europe - my kids enjoyed Legoland more anyways because it was less crowded and the waterpark is awesome.

Thanks for all the data! I’ll see how close I can get to 320s but I’ll be surprised if I break 350 when driving at 70mph.

Legoland is in my backyard and the water park is great. I will say that the vibe, rides, and overall experience pales in comparison to Disney. I’m always blown away at how much thought Disney puts into everything. With that said, those season passes are expensive!!!!