TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Kwh monitoring is turning me into a pussyfoot

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Tazman, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Tazman

Tazman Member

It's true. I bought the car in part for the fun acceleration. Now I'm driving miss Daisy around trying to stay under 300 kwh on my slightly hilly six mile urban commute. Can anyone recommend a therapist to help me get my mojo back?

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 3
  2. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Sorry. I've got it too. Pretty sure it's terminal... :)

3. DRasheed

DRasheed Member

I had the same problem for a while. I got rid of the energy meter on the dash and changed the miles of battery remaining to % charge. Now I have no idea what my efficiency is and I can punch it whenever I feel like it with no guilt!

• Like x 6
  4. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

^^^ exactly. And if you punch in your destinations, the car will tell you if you need to slow down to reach it.
    You are now free to kick it and grin.

5. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

Easy fix. Track your monthly and lifetime numbers on Trip A and B. These don't change with the occasional spirited take-off. I also recommend solar panels which have helped me ignore my Tesla's consumption more.:cool:

• Like x 1
  6. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

It's been 3+ years and 71K miles on the car, and I still drive like a grandma. I only drive on weekends, since my wife drives the kids during the work week. I like to tell myself that it's because I have the wife and kids in the car, but even when I'm driving by myself in the Model S or Rav4 EV, I find myself not turning on the A/C on hot days just to try to keep in under 300 Wh/mi. I hope when I get my Model 3, I can have some fun without guilt!

• Like x 2
  7. cranker2k

cranker2k Member

This is just too funny! I have 90D reserved and keep thinking should I upgrade to P90D. Looks like I should behave and stick with my current configuration!

8. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

I vary, but pussyfoot more than not. Keeping it under 300 Wh/Mi is tough to achieve when you live on a hill.

• Like x 1
  9. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Yup.
    The car is by far the fastest thing I've ever piloted. And I'm obsessed with keeping the consumption down.
    WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME!!!??!?!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I had it.
    It wore off.
    I took the meter off the dash.
    I checked the other day and my lifetime on my 85DL is 318 so not paying attention to it seems to make absolutely no difference in the result whilst improving enjoyment. Go figure ?!

• Like x 1
  11. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

Not me.......I love to run this car flat out as often as I can.

image.jpg

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  12. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

When I first got car (2012), I was accelerator-happy! Then for a couple of years, I obsessed with wh/mi... just had to get that lifetime number down!

Now, almost 4 years in, I just drive it. Punch it once in a while, but don't need that thrill constantly. I always know it is there.

Agree that taking info off display helps reduce obsession.

• Like x 2
  13. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Member

Doctor, Doctor, here's the news: I've got a bad case of kilowatt blues!o_O

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  14. AustinP

AustinP Member

Glad to read it is a common side effect. Friends hardly believe me when I tell them I drive slower than before, enjoying the silence and the relaxed ride. They just can't understand this. And unless you drive an EV, it's impossible to grab.:)

• Like x 2
  15. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

I was explaining to a Porsche driver the other day that with Regen I very rarely use the brakes provided I anticipate the road ahead.

"I do hope you use them some of the time" he replied - I think he was shocked that I might have gone over to the Dark Side!

16. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

Hes probably just trying to justify the cost of the PCCB he souldnt have ordered!

17. tslaaustin

tslaaustin Member

I am confused why folks are tryign to keep the kilowatt low unless you are short on range to your destination ?
    Is it because the battery life will wear off quickly with high kilowatt usage ?

18. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

I recommend asking for an extended test drive in a 90D. Most people would probably find that it is way faster than they realistically need or would use. I've had mine for 2 months, and still haven't launched it more than a handful of times, and never for more than about 5 seconds.

• Like x 1
  19. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

This does not compute. Yes, I did this with my Volt because it was interesting to see how many miles I could get with my measly 10kwh battery, but we have gobs of battery in the S and a GO pedal that outperforms most other cars out there. Man up and put the hammer down! :)

• Like x 2
  20. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

I used to cruise slowly with autopilot and monitor the kwh gage, but now if I know I have more than enough range I punch it every chance I get and I still have the Tesla grin from my 70.

• Like x 1