Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kwh monitoring is turning me into a pussyfoot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This does not compute. Yes, I did this with my Volt because it was interesting to see how many miles I could get with my measly 10kwh battery, but we have gobs of battery in the S and a GO pedal that outperforms most other cars out there. Man up and put the hammer down! :)

+1 coming from the Volt. Hammer down when you want, drive normally when you're supposed to, be safe and sane -- and don't be a jerk. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey. Enjoy the ride.

• Love
Reactions: Ciaopec
My question is why do you care? I use to care now all i care about is my comfort and enjoyment. There is no point in paying $100K just so i can get the 300wh/mile. Heck if i wanted that i would buy a nissan leaf a chevy spark or bmv i3. It is much easier to hit those numbers with those cars without babying the throttle.

As for the excuse of being an environmentalist all i have to say is you are driving an EV. It cant get better than that. If you have solar you will feel even less guilty.

My analogy is a wife/husband. You didnt married them just to watch how much they eat. You married them enjoy life together.

Point is ignore the wh/mile and enjoy life with a tesla.

When I first got car (2012), I was accelerator-happy! Then for a couple of years, I obsessed with wh/mi... just had to get that lifetime number down!

Now, almost 4 years in, I just drive it. Punch it once in a while, but don't need that thrill constantly. I always know it is there.

Agree that taking info off display helps reduce obsession.

I agree with Tomas. I've had my 90D for 4 months now. Drive it mostly in a relaxed mode. BUT knowing that anytime I need to punch it, and I do occasionally, the power is there! :)

I know I am in the minority because I never have been one to care about acceleration. I do enjoy the game of getting my wh/mi as low as possible.

I only care about having enough acceleration to get on the freeway safely. My old car was 8s 0-60 and I would have been OK with that. My 90D blows that away and it's fun once in a while. But I don't need it.

It's true. I bought the car in part for the fun acceleration. Now I'm driving miss Daisy around trying to stay under 300 kwh on my slightly hilly six mile urban commute. Can anyone recommend a therapist to help me get my mojo back?

Yes, I can help!

(1) Get yourself behind a hypermiling Prius driver.
(2) Stay there until you feel the need to scream or bash your steering wheel. It won't take long.
(3) Contemplate how deeply you hate this person you've never even met.
(4) Realize that YOU ARE BECOMING THAT PERSON.
(5) Swerve, punch it, and never look back.

Yes, I can help!

(1) Get yourself behind a hypermiling Prius driver.
(2) Stay there until you feel the need to scream or bash your steering wheel. It won't take long.
(3) Contemplate how deeply you hate this person you've never even met.
(4) Realize that YOU ARE BECOMING THAT PERSON.
(5) Swerve, punch it, and never look back.
Is it OK to go directly from step 1 to step 5? Because I skipped the middle steps and it still worked out great.

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd and tomas
I am obsessed, but still punch it on on-ramps whenever possible. My 40k mile average is only 273Wh/mi! The key is staying close to the speed limit on the highway. I rarely get under 300 in the winter though.