Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L.A area and SCE PTO timeframe...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My last work was the PW2 installed in August 2017. Took until March 2019. My experience is "not normal" as I was early and Tesla had ideas on how to install that SCE did not agree with, and forced them to re-do, which is what took a lot of time.

• Informative
Reactions: mnsweeps
There is a switch and I have some very creative squirrels in the neighborhood...

Besides with solar and powerwall. It just looks like you’re not using as much energy from the grid.;)

Oh I know how to turn it on. I am just concerned SCE may find if I send too much power back to the grid. My 5 switched I need turn on are 1) solar breaker 2) powerwall breaker 3) switch on inverter 4) and 5) switch on the powerwalls each.

Oh I know how to turn it on. I am just concerned SCE may find if I send too much power back to the grid. My 5 switched I need turn on are 1) solar breaker 2) powerwall breaker 3) switch on inverter 4) and 5) switch on the powerwalls each.

If you do want to turn it on pre-PTO I wouldn’t recommend allowing the system to feed any power back to the grid at all. Instead I would turn off the service disconnect and run off grid with just your solar and powerwalls. Of course even that is a grey area, but I think regularly feeding power back to the grid before PTO is pretty much expressly forbidden in just about every interconnect agreement. Obviously just waiting for PTO before you turn on the system is the safest option.

If you do want to turn it on pre-PTO I wouldn’t recommend allowing the system to feed any power back to the grid at all. Instead I would turn off the service disconnect and run off grid with just your solar and powerwalls. Of course even that is a grey area, but I think regularly feeding power back to the grid before PTO is pretty much expressly forbidden in just about every interconnect agreement. Obviously just waiting for PTO before you turn on the system is the safest option.

when I turn off service disconnect what really happens? I thought that the solar + 2 Powerwalls are disconnected and my house is entirely run by grid which is exactly opposite to what you mentioned.

when I turn off service disconnect what really happens? I thought that the solar + 2 Powerwalls are disconnected and my house is entirely run by grid which is exactly opposite to what you mentioned.

The service disconnect is what disconnects you from the grid. It will appear as a power outage to the TEG, so it will power your house with the powerwalls and solar. This may be a big switch, or it may just be a breaker, depending on how your system is set up.

You may have a generation disconnect that would disconnect the solar and powerwalls from your house, but obviously you will want to leave that connected.

• Informative
Reactions: mnsweeps
The service disconnect is what disconnects you from the grid. It will appear as a power outage to the TEG, so it will power your house with the powerwalls and solar. This may be a big switch, or it may just be a breaker, depending on how your system is set up.

You may have a generation disconnect that would disconnect the solar and powerwalls from your house, but obviously you will want to leave that connected.

ok.. and then what does the main disconnect do? Turn off all including PW + solar?

ok.. yeah I have a service disconnect and a main disconnect breaker in my main panel...

They may be redundant and both accomplish the same thing. Each installation is a little different to get the TEG to work with existing panels, so one breaker may turn off the power to the whole panel and the other just to the TEG, but unless you have any non backed up loads in that panel then they will both do the same thing.