Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L.A. GUY NEEDS HELP/ADVICE WITH M3 DELIVERY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow-eee! Just got the text that I'm picking up my 2021 Model 3 this Tuesday afternoon in Burbank! (someone should invent a special emoji for when a guy gets a text that his Tesla is gonna be ready to be picked up)...

Anyway.

I know there's a long check-list of things to look out for when inspecting the car before you agree to take it, but it's not in my character description to spend an hour+ going over every detail of a car. So I'm asking the following questions:

1) What would you suggest are the FIVE (5) most important things to check for upon delivery of a new Tesla M3?
2) How seriously would the car have to be falling apart before you'd refuse to accept delivery?
3) If I find things wrong with it, say, the next day (like chipped paint, parts not fitting together properly, a flying-off-roof (!)...will I still be able to get the car repaired later?

Thanks so much.

Welcome to the family!

Only my opinion, so completely useless...

1. All the parts that aren't bolted on are there. Charger, floor/trunk/frunk mats, phone cables (dunno if you're getting one with wireless charging),

2. It's all up to you. My car has paint imperfections that are quite apparent. The charger door isn't 100% flush. And something is loose in the pillar speaker, so I need to press on it every couple thousand miles. I honestly don't care.

3. Absolutely. They'll let you know as soon as possible whether it'll cost you anything. After several months of ownership I had some things fixed without paying: passenger rear door took too much force to shut (had to get this fixed because it'd be too much of an inconvenience to always need to close my kid's door because they couldn't do it), notorious horn dead spot, and CPU/SSD problems where infotainment would reboot on nearly every drive.

Reactions: 95gator
Welcome to the family!

Only my opinion, so completely useless...

1. All the parts that aren't bolted on are there. Charger, floor/trunk/frunk mats, phone cables (dunno if you're getting one with wireless charging),

2. It's all up to you. My car has paint imperfections that are quite apparent. The charger door isn't 100% flush. And something is loose in the pillar speaker, so I need to press on it every couple thousand miles. I honestly don't care.

3. Absolutely. They'll let you know as soon as possible whether it'll cost you anything. After several months of ownership I had some things fixed without paying: passenger rear door took too much force to shut (had to get this fixed because it'd be too much of an inconvenience to always need to close my kid's door because they couldn't do it), notorious horn dead spot, and CPU/SSD problems where infotainment would reboot on nearly every drive.

Thanks for this. I just got mine and did check for all the things that you mentioned. I got mine yesterday and as the other LA guy knows we’ve been poured on literally since I dropped it at my house.

Everything seems copacetic to me but I’m still in awe just looking at it. I’ve wanted one for years and it’s so beautiful. Unfortunately I’m doing things like sitting on a towel instead of my white seats.

Upset that I’ll have a spotted wet car before first real driver. And what is this wireless charging and how do you get it?

I have an M3 MSM ST+ and remember reading about it. It’s the 21 refresh so how do I prepare for wireless charging. I would have paid for that if I didn’t. Where and how do I get these cables? I don’t know if I have that. Don’t think so.

Thanks for the good info. I was too dumb and to be honest and warning if you’re picking up in Burbank Rick, the only person who really seemed to know what he was talking about was the guy ushering me out at the end and eventually said “enough questions” because he had all line of people trying to leave.

Pretty sure I had the B Team though as it was a Sunday after Christmas. Everyone was super nice and I saw my sales girl there. She is the best.

All in all I just checked for the paint as I read a lot about paint inconsistencies but it was perfection. I do notice I can’t lift up my windshield wipers or it feels like I shouldn’t.

Is that normal?

I’m Adam from North Hollywood, CA. Nice to meet you all.

This is Rick again (
Thanks for this. I just got mine and did check for all the things that you mentioned. I got mine yesterday and as the other LA guy knows we’ve been poured on literally since I dropped it at my house.

Everything seems copacetic to me but I’m still in awe just looking at it. I’ve wanted one for years and it’s so beautiful. Unfortunately I’m doing things like sitting on a towel instead of my white seats.

Upset that I’ll have a spotted wet car before first real driver. And what is this wireless charging and how do you get it?

I have an M3 MSM ST+ and remember reading about it. It’s the 21 refresh so how do I prepare for wireless charging. I would have paid for that if I didn’t. Where and how do I get these cables? I don’t know if I have that. Don’t think so.

Thanks for the good info. I was too dumb and to be honest and warning if you’re picking up in Burbank Rick, the only person who really seemed to know what he was talking about was the guy ushering me out at the end and eventually said “enough questions” because he had all line of people trying to leave.

Pretty sure I had the B Team though as it was a Sunday after Christmas. Everyone was super nice and I saw my sales girl there. She is the best.

All in all I just checked for the paint as I read a lot about paint inconsistencies but it was perfection. I do notice I can’t lift up my windshield wipers or it feels like I shouldn’t.

Is that normal?

I’m Adam from North Hollywood, CA. Nice to meet you all.

This is Rick again (original poster). They (whoever "they" is) decided they'd prefer to deliver the car to my house rather than having me pick it up at Burbank. That was supposed to happen yesterday. It didn't. Now, "they" claim, it's going to happen today (which probably means tomorrow). Yeah, the rain is a pain in the ass to drive this car for the first time. I guess the reason I'm writing (again) is that since they are dropping the car off at my house and leaving (like a pizza delivery), I won't have a chance to look at the car and refuse it if there's anything that's screwed up about it. The sales-guy said they'd give me a day to reject the car if there's anything really wrong with it (their call, not mine, I'm sure). Anyone have any advice about this? Anyone had their car dropped off at their house? (By the way, Adam from North Hollywood, I think wireless charging is just about your phone (not the car) and -- I hope -- is already ready to go.)

This is Rick again (

This is Rick again (original poster). They (whoever "they" is) decided they'd prefer to deliver the car to my house rather than having me pick it up at Burbank. That was supposed to happen yesterday. It didn't. Now, "they" claim, it's going to happen today (which probably means tomorrow). Yeah, the rain is a pain in the ass to drive this car for the first time. I guess the reason I'm writing (again) is that since they are dropping the car off at my house and leaving (like a pizza delivery), I won't have a chance to look at the car and refuse it if there's anything that's screwed up about it. The sales-guy said they'd give me a day to reject the car if there's anything really wrong with it (their call, not mine, I'm sure). Anyone have any advice about this? Anyone had their car dropped off at their house? (By the way, Adam from North Hollywood, I think wireless charging is just about your phone (not the car) and -- I hope -- is already ready to go.)

My advice is just say no to home delivery. You should plan to take delivery at the delivery center during daylight hours where you will have plenty of time to inspect the car before deciding if it’s acceptable. Do not accept a car with defects. You will be forever chasing after Tesla to fix things and they may not fix them to your liking. Either is in acceptable condition and needs no follow up service or just reject it and ask for another one. Anything else and you are asking for major aggravation.

This is Rick again (

Originally, they were sending it to my house too. I said for all the reasons you posted above “no”. I told my SA that I didn’t want that. Didn’t sign the agreement and called and made an appointment for the next day. Didn’t want to have to rely on it. Didn’t want to sign until I saw it and so I thought it was cool they were willing to do that for me but it’s certainly beneficial to them. The delivery team is in the business of closing the deal. Period, and it’s a lot easier to get you to sign something and then drop it off. Just say no.

Reactions: jjrandorin