Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L.A. Times: Some Model 3 owners are reporting quality problems...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most newspapers will run a story that draws eyeballs and interest. When the name "Tesla" can be inserted into it, they are pretty much guaranteed those eyeballs and interest. The reporter will sense a "larger story" when several accounts appear that suggest a problem, no matter what company stands to be hurt. Yes, it doesn't help that Tesla doesn't buy ad space. But that just removes any residual journalistic sense of getting the story straight because there's no revenue at risk. No worries from the bean counters if the hit piece is aimed at someone who hasn't contributed a cent to supporting the paper.
Not all papers will do this. But even the good ones get stuff wrong. Remember the Iron Rule: the more you know about a subject, the less reliable all media accounts will be.
Robin

Reactions: Aieukl378
This crap journalism works. A friend has just configured her 3, then receives this LA Times article from another friend and is telling me she now has second thoughts and think she maybe should have gotten a Bolt or a BMW i3. She said "it seems everyone's having problems".

I have seriously never looked for a panel gap in any car that I have ever purchased in 30+ years and I wont start today. If the car looks good, it looks good. Its simple as that. I dont own a caliper and I dont measure gaps in anything and neither to about 99.9% of consumers.

The difference between Tesla and other car companies? Tesla will fix whatever issue you bring to them. At least that is my experience. I have not had a lot of issues by they are batting 100%. The real world is sloppy and stuff happens. Its nice to know that Tesla stands by their products.

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61
People like to read all the dirt about a produce.

Nobody will click on a link that says...Tesla quality is really really good.

Somebody goes to Church and nobody says a word. Somebody is having Sex with a high profile...everybody takes a look.

Most everybody likes their Tesla's and nobody makes much note of it, but if someone has a problem with imperfect panel gaps...it's the end of the company.

I think they'd jump on a bullet train QA issue (real or partially imagined) just as quickly, so long as it attracted readership. Everyone knew there'd be teething problems with Model 3. Seeing them here, among the faithful, confirms it. Is it a story? Sure. Should it be balanced, put into context? Ideally, yes. But that would be boring. Here's a snazzier story: Is this the End for Upstart Tesla?
If it sells papers, why not? If it bleeds, it leads.
Robin

Buried in the article is Tesla's response, which seems consistent with the reactions of the vast majority of Model 3 owners who have posted on TMC and elsewhere:

In a statement to The Times, [Tesla] said: "Tesla's customer satisfaction scores for Model 3 vehicle quality and condition are at an all-time high of 94% — the best scores we've received from customers for quality and condition ever, across all of our vehicles, during early ownership. In the rare case a customer does have an issue, we take it very seriously, working closely with each owner to proactively address it."​

Customer satisfaction and quality are two different things. We don’t know how Tesla measures either and they don’t participate in standardized industry studies. So unless Tesla is willing to be transparent then these tiny tidbit data points aren’t meaningful.

We all know Tesla has a lot of quality issues to work out. We all know that nearly every Model 3 coming off the line has a cosmetic or mechanical issue that needs servicing within the first month or two. It’s not worth trying to deny it. Just hold Tesla accountable so they can get better and don’t worry about the LA Times. The best strategy is to give them nothing to write about.

We all know that nearly every Model 3 coming off the line has

Without access to Tesla’s internal issue tracking system, this is actually impossible to know.

The only thing we (including you, most likely, unless you are a Tesla employee with access to the relevant information) actually know is that some cars have had issues. The actual % is unknown.

Reactions: mblakele
And it sounds like I'm in the minority when I say my 3 has no issues.

Y'know, it might be that some people are just trying to find issues.

I'm happily married, too. Hmmmmm.
I don't think you're in the minority. But if someones goes on any car forum looking for negative comments to flesh out a predetermined story, they're going to find material. It doesn't matter how many positive comments there are. They'll get enough quotes to accomplish their mission.

I don't think you're in the minority. But if someones goes on any car forum looking for negative comments to flesh out a predetermined story, they're going to find material. It doesn't matter how many positive comments there are. They'll get enough quotes to accomplish their mission.

So, do I need to respond to the story? I imagine they'd never post it. Sounds like its just as easy to make up negative comments since they're lying anyway.

I think they'd jump on a bullet train QA issue (real or partially imagined) just as quickly, so long as it attracted readership. Everyone knew there'd be teething problems with Model 3. Seeing them here, among the faithful, confirms it. Is it a story? Sure. Should it be balanced, put into context? Ideally, yes. But that would be boring. Here's a snazzier story: Is this the End for Upstart Tesla?
Robin

L.A. Times notorious for media bias. Speaking of the bullet train: Every story in the paper is a litany of details about every single cost overrun or delay. Many of which are due to their being hamstrung by lawsuits by parties trying to derail the project. But when highway projects go over budget, not a peep from the paper. Finally some people are starting to figure it out. See the link below.

Any Tesla story is clickbait, especially if negative. And every Bullet train story is an echo chamber of short sighted people who won't tell you how 50,000,000 are going to move around the state in 10 years.

High-Speed Rail Cost Overrun Reporting Raises Questions of Media Bias

Same story back in 1966, BARTs billion $ transit fantasy! Where would SF be now without BART?

1966 BART Headline Gives Perspective and Context on High-Speed Rail

See my good friend @McRat comment above about the "pipe dream" for the mindset at work. He will tell you all about how stupid all the other countries are that are building thousands of miles of high speed rail.

China's High-Speed Trains Are Taking On More Passengers In Chinese New Year Massive Migration

The editorial board is somewhat less clueless. Caltrans wants to spend $6 billion widening the 710 freeway that trucks use from the port. But $10 billion would create 4 lanes of zero emission truck only lanes. People in the affected communities are going to raise some hell, and they want the trucks to be fully electric.

Widening freeways is so 20th century — the 710 Freeway deserves better

RT

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DR61 and N5329K
Is it a story? Sure. Should it be balanced, put into context? Ideally, yes. But that would be boring. Here's a snazzier story: Is this the End for Upstart Tesla?
Robin

"Apple is DOOOOOOMED!!!" There was a veritable sub-industry of press that rode that theme for well over 15 years. It was even pretty close to true back in '97. When the iPhone first came out it hit fever pitch and then kept ramping up every year. Coming on 2 decades though the public's appetite for it has mostly sated, even the most ardent "DOOM"ers have given up on that dream.

Now it's just garden variety loathing and a bit of occasional panic when there are cracks that show up in security. That's mostly customers driving the click-thru on the later headlines.

If Tesla's successful they've got at least a decade of this ahead of them until it's pretty clear that they aren't going to fail (or until they do). If they get to that point it'll just be jump-scare stuff because they'll have so many customers.

Reactions: RubberToe