Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L.A. to Solvang 200 mile using autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove 200 miles using Basic Autopilot + Auto Steer (Beta) on a trip from Los Angeles to Solvang, California. 2022 Model Y. I have my wife and two teenage kids in the car. Basic autopilot is adaptive cruise control with optional beta auto steer (keep car in the current lane). Autosteer beta used with basic autopilot is doesn't handle lane changes.

Overall a very good experience. No phantom braking. I drive with my hands on the wheel and twice along a curve I decided to push the wheel more than autopilot so the car gave steering control to me. Was I on a collision course? Nope. Once time there was freeway construction and the lane I was in was coming to was splitting in two. I disengaged autopilot because I know from past experiences, autopilot will disengage in such a situation. I tend to turn off autopilot if people around me are driving like idiots. For example, there were three cars having some sort of freeway rage and they felt the need to try to go faster than each other. They were zipping in-between cars although traffic was already driving 75MPH and the speed limit is 65MPH.

I have basic Autopilot on my '22 MYLR as well and TACC+Autosteer (2022.40.4.1) performed almost flawlessly on 500+ miles of Interstates and 4-lane divided highways last week. I had one incident where the car slowed 1 MPH while cresting a steep rise and one incident where it didn't release autosteer when I engaged the turn signal to change lanes. It certainly hasn't been that good in some previous road trips during the last 12 months. I'm no Tesla fanboi/apologist but I'm willing to give credit where it's due.

Usually, right about the time I begin to trust the car and stop covering the accelerator, the car disappoints me with some unnecessary or phantom braking. This hasn't happened yet on this build.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
I have basic Autopilot on my '22 MYLR as well and TACC+Autosteer (2022.40.4.1) performed almost flawlessly on 500+ miles of Interstates and 4-lane divided highways last week. I had one incident SNIP and one incident where it didn't release autosteer when I engaged the turn signal to change lanes. SNIP
To my knowledge & recent reading of the manual, using turn signals doesn’t actually deactivate auto steer.
one Reddit thread suggests activation of turn signal makes the car more aware of slight movements in steering wheel and this causes auto steer to disengage. Previously, it took a much larger steering wheel move to disengage. Perhaps you were on a very straight section of road when you put the turn signal on. Basically, you gotta move the steering wheel to disable auto steer or use the shifter stalk to turn it off.

tesla model y manual, autosteer section.

Canceling Autosteer​

Autosteer cancels when:
  • You press the brake pedal.
  • You start steering manually.
  • You exceed the maximum speed at which Autosteer operates – 90 mph (150 km/h).
  • You move the drive stalk upwards.
  • A door is opened.
  • An Automatic Emergency Braking event occurs (see Collision Avoidance Assist).

• Informative
Reactions: shoemakj
I have basic Autopilot on my '22 MYLR as well and TACC+Autosteer (2022.40.4.1) performed almost flawlessly on 500+ miles of Interstates and 4-lane divided highways last week. I had one incident where the car slowed 1 MPH while cresting a steep rise and SNIP
The car slowing down by 1 mph here and there seems normal. Humans cause this too when driving. Changes in road conditions such as bumpiness and changes in slope, etc.

The car slowing down by 1 mph here and there seems normal. Humans cause this too when driving. Changes in road conditions such as bumpiness and changes in slope, etc.
I agree. That 's not an unreasonable response to a hill you cannot see over. The only reason I called it out is that I've made this road trip about 10 times in the past year and it never slowed there before. There used to be a straight & level section of this road where it would slow 5-7 mph for no reason that I could see, but it hasn't done that since about May.

If you enable the turn indicator before turning the wheel it will disengage autopilot with far less resistance, but only when you begin to turn the wheel.
I do. Prior to about 2022.36.x, autosteer in my car would fail to disengage around 40% of the time when I indicated a lane change. Cancelling and re-indicating worked 100% of the time. Since then it's been working almost every time. Definitely progress.

To my knowledge & recent reading of the manual, using turn signals doesn’t actually deactivate auto steer.
I haven't read that section of the manual for several months, but 90+% of time it "bongs" and the wheel icon turns gray when I indicate a lane change and I can feel it release before (I think) I have make any steering input. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I'll pay closer attention to the sequence of events next time I drive the car on the highway.

I've seen AP slow somewhat when cresting a hill or rise.
My assumption is the cameras can't see if you're driving off a cliff or not ;-)
Once further roadway is in the camera's eye, speed returns.
The camera above the rearview mirror is of course above the driver's eyeline so it sees the crest before you do.

I haven't read that section of the manual for several months, but 90+% of time it "bongs" and the wheel icon turns gray when I indicate a lane change and I can feel it release before (I think) I have make any steering input. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I'll pay closer attention to the sequence of events next time I drive the car on the highway.
I just did a test today on the freeway. As manual suggests, the turn signals won't disable auto steer. I have a 2022 Model Y running firmware 2022.40.4.2 .

• Informative
I just did a test today on the freeway. As manual suggests, the turn signals won't disable auto steer. I have a 2022 Model Y running firmware 2022.40.4.2 .
I did some testing on the highway yesterday and got the same result as you. :) Autosteer would not disengage when I indicated a lane change but was not holding the steering wheel. So for the last year, I thought the car was releasing autosteer, when apparently it was just reducing to almost zero, the torque required (and possibly minimum steering input needed) for the driver to cancel autosteer. I guess my misperception came from the fact that I've never not been holding the steering wheel when I hit the turn signal for a lane change.

<Sorry to have hijacked your thread>

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54