Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L1 charging at a hotel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless there are posted signs saying it's okay, always get permission before charging. No exceptions.

I wouldn't use an outdoor one since I don't think the mobile connector is rated for that. I have used one in a hotel parking garage after getting permission from the front desk.

Slow charging is slow, but it's better than nothing.

I always ask, and always offer to pay. I've never been turned down, nor have I ever been asked to pay.

Yes, it's slow, but it's better than nothing and since you're not actively waiting, does it matter how slow it is? If I can shave a few minutes off my next stop, why not. And a few times it's really made a huge difference between a stress-free stay and a "can I make it" scenario.

Reactions: ambudriver03
A couple of years ago when Superchargers were a bit rarer the SO and I took a trip from NJ to Savannah, GA, then to Charleston. Charleston, at the time, didn't have any SCs at all and the L2 chargers were behind various hotels' locked-up patrons' parking only lots.

We asked at the front desk of the hotel we were staying at whether they had any dedicated charging. The answer was, "No, but the lot down below the rooms has a variety of 120 VAC outlets; feel free!"

Went on down and found an outlet, 20A even, well within range of the heavy-duty extension cord and the TMC. Plugged in that evening and spent the rest of the day and the next traipsing around downtown. 4 mph doesn't sound like much but after a day or so (we didn't arrive with zero charge, after all) the car was full up.

Savannah was better: TWCs and a couple of other brands (Chargepoint, I think) with J1772 were free to use in the public parking garages.