Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L14-30 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some research on the forums but the conversation delved into safety with a circuit that was originally set up to back feed in a generator (rightfully so). Hooping for a little more clarity on the question.

My parents have a circuit in their garage with a L14-30. We believe the previous owner used it to back feed a generator. Since moving in, my parents have installed a generac generator and this circuit is no longer used for a generator. The lockout mechanism has been removed at the panel. My parents did have an electrician make a custom cord so they can plug their camper into it. They wish to continue to use this cord so they aren’t interested in changing the outlet

i know Tesla does not recommend extension cords. Do they have a stance on adapters?

my thought is to purchase Teslas 14-30 plug and a 14-30 to L14-30 adapter and then let the car decide on the charge rate automatically. I found a website that sells Tesla L14-30 plug, but it seems like the 14-30 plug + L14-30 adapter gives more flexibility (can use the plug elsewhere).

something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B086SS6VKN/

I did some research on the forums but the conversation delved into safety with a circuit that was originally set up to back feed in a generator (rightfully so). Hooping for a little more clarity on the question.

My parents have a circuit in their garage with a L14-30. We believe the previous owner used it to back feed a generator. Since moving in, my parents have installed a generac generator and this circuit is no longer used for a generator. The lockout mechanism has been removed at the panel. My parents did have an electrician make a custom cord so they can plug their camper into it. They wish to continue to use this cord so they aren’t interested in changing the outlet

i know Tesla does not recommend extension cords. Do they have a stance on adapters?

my thought is to purchase Teslas 14-30 plug and a 14-30 to L14-30 adapter and then let the car decide on the charge rate automatically. I found a website that sells Tesla L14-30 plug, but it seems like the 14-30 plug + L14-30 adapter gives more flexibility (can use the plug elsewhere).

something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B086SS6VKN/
The adapter you seek can be found at EVSE Adapters: L14-30 Twist-lock Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

Reactions: gfunkdave
I've been using an L5-30P with great success from the same people that jcanoe referenced for an L14-30. The adapter provides information to the car about maximum current draw (I think it's all done through the combination of pins used on the "Tesla" end of the adapter cable). The cable on mine is even higher gauge than what Tesla uses on their adapters. I'd say it's all around equal to or better than Tesla's products.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I've been using an L5-30P with great success from the same people that jcanoe referenced for an L14-30. The adapter provides information to the car about maximum current draw (I think it's all done through the combination of pins used on the "Tesla" end of the adapter cable). The cable on mine is even higher gauge than what Tesla uses on their adapters. I'd say it's all around equal to or better than Tesla's products.

Yeah that is what i was thinking as well. That’s why i thought buying the Tesla 14-30 would tell the UMC use 30 amps and the adapter in my original post would just have to “move the prongs”.

Yeah that is what i was thinking as well. That’s why i thought buying the Tesla 14-30 would tell the UMC use 30 amps and the adapter in my original post would just have to “move the prongs”.
Yes, sounds like a good plan, as you said, to have two plug types that way. A 14-30 and L14-30 are electrically the same thing, so the pin mapping is easy. One is just made to prevent being yanked from the outlet. And yes, since they are both matched 30A outlet types, the amp limit signal to the car will be correct.

Reactions: hinkbot