Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L2 EV charging only, in handicapped spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I ran into an interesting station the other day. I was out and about and needed a few miles in a pinch and stopped at a destination charger for a couple hours. All the spots were full except one that was secluded with only a handicapped spot. There was a sign for EV charging only, also a sign for handicapped only. I didn't charge there because I was uncertain what this meant.

So the question is: have you seen this before and does this mean only handicapped people with EVs can park there, OR does this mean EVs can park there and charge when not otherwise in use by a handicapped permit? There were other handicapped spots nearby that were not in use.

Thanks!

Unless its signed to say otherwise, the intention is that the space is reserved for EVs with disabled persons to charge. No disabled placard or plates, not supposed to charge in that stall. Similarly, having disabled placard or plates but not actively using the charger to charge is also a prohibited use of the stall. It isn't a disabled parking space. Or at least those are the intended rules in CA. Not sure what AZ says about it. But the rules are still new and I'm not sure that the CA vehicle code has been amended yet to cover this point. The EV stations are being built with these stalls because the CA state building code requires them in a certain proportion now to meet disabled access requirements under CA law and the ADA.

Hey guys, I ran into an interesting station the other day.
I was out and about and needed a few miles in a pinch and stopped at a destination charger for a couple hours.
All the spots were full except one that was secluded with only a handicapped spot.
There was a sign for EV charging only, also a sign for handicapped only.
I didn't charge there because I was uncertain what this meant.
I imagine that you could stay inside the car while charging, and move if needed.

Some Superchargers have such sign for ADA and also Vans (may be for the future ?),
So staying inside the car for may be 20 minutes would not bee too much a problem.

However in the case of an L2, it might more difficult to stay inside the car for a couple of hours...

Unless its signed to say otherwise, the intention is that the space is reserved for EVs with disabled persons to charge. No disabled placard or plates, not supposed to charge in that stall. Similarly, having disabled placard or plates but not actively using the charger to charge is also a prohibited use of the stall. It isn't a disabled parking space. Or at least those are the intended rules in CA. Not sure what AZ says about it. But the rules are still new and I'm not sure that the CA vehicle code has been amended yet to cover this point. The EV stations are being built with these stalls because the CA state building code requires them in a certain proportion now to meet disabled access requirements under CA law and the ADA.

That is a very specific demographic, but that too will grow along with the incidence of EVs.

Guys its not a difficult decision if it is properly marked and labeled a Disable Parking/Charging spot then stay clear. I have ran into a disable charging spot that was labeled both Handicap and allowed charging for non disabled, but this was clearly marked as dual with a footnote on the sign that requires the charging non handicap driver to surrender the spot if asked by a handicap driver. Common Sense is the Key. I would recommend you stay with your vehicle if you choose to charge there.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Guys its not a difficult decision if it is properly marked and labeled a Disable Parking/Charging spot then stay clear. I have ran into a disable charging spot that was labeled both Handicap and allowed charging for non disabled, but this was clearly marked as dual with a footnote on the sign that requires the charging non handicap driver to surrender the spot if asked by a handicap driver. Common Sense is the Key.
I would recommend you stay with your vehicle if you choose to charge there.
But un the case of an L2 charger, providing 20 miles per hour or so, it might be not pleasant to stay inside the car for several hours...