Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L3 chargers at Petrol Stations now...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is pretty common in Europe, but does anyone else get excited when they see charging stations at 'gas stations'?

The city where I live has 2 urban supercharger locations (12 stalls each @ 72kw); and at my local chevron they just finished installing a L3 Chargepoint with both ChaDeMo and CCS-Combo connectors at 50kw.

and recently they finished installation at Chiriaco Summit with 2 different chargepoint pedestals with CCS/ChaDeMo connectors and a separate J1772 6.6kw charger. ( I drive back and forth between Los Angeles and Phoenix a lot )

I just happened to be shooting the breeze at the local gas station and they had said that many of the G&M owned Chevron stations were installing ChargePoints.

So... how about that CCS adapter :)

Reactions: destructure00
No need to do that, they are putting a giant supercharger station in Quartzite.

indeed, but if you don't have a Tesla, you're kinda SOL, there's basically no DC fast charging between Indio and Buckeye (Allegedly there's a ChaDeMo in Blythe...)

Capture.PNG

Unless and until charge speeds can get an EV from near-empty to at least 80% in under ten minutes, I don't see much point to installing EV charging equipment at typical gas stations. Such locations usually have nothing in the way of amenities except (usually disgusting) bathrooms and overpriced convenience stores. At current DC fast charging rates (50-150kW, with 250-350kW just starting to be rolled out), I want a place to sit down and have a meal or otherwise keep me occupied for half an hour or an hour. That means that restaurants and malls are much better locations than gas stations. A partial exception is highway service areas, which typically have both gas pumps and restaurants. Some gas stations adjacent to major highways (at least in the US) also have (usually very small) fast-food restaurants attached, and so might be adequate.

• Disagree
Reactions: flyingowl
I would like to have Superchargers installed in larger filling stations along major hightways because I travel with my extended family and they drive ICE vehicles. It would be nice for everyone to stop and fuel up at the same time in the same place. It usually takes us 15-20 minutes anyway for everyone to get snacks, stretch, chat, wash the windows, etc. This would allow me to drive my new Model Y on vacation instead of renting a minivan for the week.

Later...
Richard

Reactions: Big Ike
Unless and until charge speeds can get an EV from near-empty to at least 80% in under ten minutes, I don't see much point to installing EV charging equipment at typical gas stations. Such locations usually have nothing in the way of amenities except (usually disgusting) bathrooms and overpriced convenience stores. At current DC fast charging rates (50-150kW, with 250-350kW just starting to be rolled out), I want a place to sit down and have a meal or otherwise keep me occupied for half an hour or an hour. That means that restaurants and malls are much better locations than gas stations. A partial exception is highway service areas, which typically have both gas pumps and restaurants. Some gas stations adjacent to major highways (at least in the US) also have (usually very small) fast-food restaurants attached, and so might be adequate.

I guess people in Norway don't know what they doing because there is quite a bit of gas stations have EV charging. (Circle K as example)

Getting more common in Canada now as well. Some Petrocans have 2 CCS and 2 Chademos. Usually co-locates with good facilities, restaurants etc. Perfect setup. Electrify Canada has paired up with Canadian Tire. Shell is adding stations slowly as well. Handy to have a Chademo adapter here.

Reactions: flyingowl