Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA Area People, watch out! They are stealing Nose Cones Now!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So an update here. I'm actually going to be interviewed for the news this evening.
Also, hats off to Tesla Service. They not only had the parts in stock and painted. They REFUSED payment. I have purchased 5 cars at this point, so they know me pretty well.
Tesla service is 2nd to none.
So for every 5 vehicles you purchase you get a nose cone for free :p
In all seriousness be glad it's not as bad as Zimbabwe and Botswana, it was possible to remove external lights with just a screw driver on the older vehicles, so that is exactly what they did, they use to build cadges around the lights to protect it from theft.

Reactions: am_dmd
You bought 5 Tesla's then you have earned some of their goodwill for sure.
Plus a smart gesture as you might buy a 6 or tell other folks :)
Sadly most car crimes are ignored or the sentences are a joke.
-If you don't respect peoples property then you don't deserve respect.

California has decriminalized property crimes under $1,000 and will not even prosecute in most cities. :cool:
San Francisco alone has over 30,000 car burglaries per year and will do nothing to stop the crime wave.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
California has decriminalized property crimes under $1,000 and will not even prosecute in most cities. :cool:
San Francisco alone has over 30,000 car burglaries per year and will do nothing to stop the crime wave.
Yep, not enough resources. The satisfaction when this guy gets caught is not in the prosecution (lack thereof), but rather the shame from friends/family for making the news, losing his job, and future prospects.

Uh.... no. Prop 47 just categorized some non-violent offenses as misdemeanors instead of felonies among other things.

California Proposition 47 (2014) - Wikipedia

So far the recent uptick in crime doesn't appear to be related and likely has more to do with economics than prop 47.

Proposition 47 not responsible for recent upticks in crime across California, UCI study says

In general, non-violent crimes aren't going to get much traction. My mom had nearly $10k in credit card fraud, which we fortunately caught quickly and was promptly charged back. The local detective assigned to the case after we filed a police report more or less said he had more important stuff to do, which I fully support.

If and when CA LE catches on on violent crimes (murder, assault, rape, etc...), then I think it's fair to criticize them for not following up on property/drug crimes. Until then, it is what it is.

If and when CA LE catches on on violent crimes (murder, assault, rape, etc...), then I think it's fair to criticize them for not following up on property/drug crimes. Until then, it is what it is.

I cant follow ya down that road. Not all cops are SVU detectives or Robbery Homicide... as long as they can chase speeders and issue parking tickets, they can prosecute property crimes. The moment we tell the criminals there's no penalty, it's Lord Of The Flies... IMHO

In case you guys would like to share I have great quality camera footage of the ass hat that stole my nose cone from my 85D.
This happened at 5pm in front of a bank in Northridge CA.
People all over.
The perp had paper plates.

Good choice for your dash cam. I’ve been using BlackVue for a while in all my vehicles. Sorry to see that clown deform your Tesla, but it’s good to know you have a good picture of the person to report to authorities.

I cant follow ya down that road. Not all cops are SVU detectives or Robbery Homicide... as long as they can chase speeders and issue parking tickets, they can prosecute property crimes. The moment we tell the criminals there's no penalty, it's Lord Of The Flies... IMHO
Speeding is one of those things that's just a misdemeanor, but could still result in significant harm, so I can see hitting that. I agree with the majority of parking tickets, but unfortunately those are a big revenue stream. There are also legit tickets for blocking fire lanes, and so on.

I guess I'm just lucky and have either driven beaters or taken steps to keep stuff out of my nicer cars, but I've only had one break-in in the two decades I've been driving. Don't keep a bunch of crap in your car, and if you're in a high crime area and/or have a car that's easier to brake into, like a 3, leave the back seats folded down when you park your car. DW made a habit out of this when she went to Berkeley in the 90s after having her Accord's trunk broken into so many times she had to have the trunk lock/latch replaced.