TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

LA Auto Show-Dec. 1 to Dec. 10

Discussion in 'News' started by danny, Sep 3, 2006.

1. danny

danny Administrator

2. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Great. What's your secret source? ;)
    There is nothing on the official LA AutoShow site.

3. danny

danny Administrator

uhhh i would bet anything that it will be there....too important for a CA based company

4. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

According to Tesla website, "Tesla Motors will be in the Yokohama booth."

The Roadster -- like the Lotus Elise -- rides on Yokohama tires, in case you didn't make the connection.   :)

5. danny

danny Administrator

I will be there tonight, I will try and get some pics ;D

6. danny

danny Administrator

K just got back, no pics because I figured you've seen all that I could show you already. It was the red car. I had the chance to sit, in the car, what do you know its like a lotus, ;D. Anyways I talked with Gretchen Joyce, the director of Marketing and this other guy, cant remember his name. Both were very enthusicastic and impressive. They only have 2 cars in the US it seems at the moment so they have a very limited ablitity to give the cars to magazine for tests, etc. They will be making 10 cars which are 1 step closer to the production cars which I assume will be used for more press stuff.

We talked about the buyers and what they are looking for in the car and they said that most put performance number one and the green aspects follow. Basically the buyers feel good about buying this car because they know they don't have to worry about the consequences of using gas.

hmmm....what else. I asked why the tires are the same size and width on the tesla as on the elise and they said what is the way its meant to be. Wider tires means better grip however it also effects drag and usprung weight so they had to choose what was the best balance for the car.

I asked them how they are gonna change the minds of traditional sports cars owners who are used to gears and noise and they came to two conclusions.
    1. Tests, magazine tv etc.
    2. Driving the car themselves.

They told me that the car definitly does make a sound something I think people forget.
    They seem quite confident that once you drive the car you will be very impressed.

7. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

I still think the website makes it look the other way around to a lot of people.

Driving -- or even riding -- in the car seems to be a eye-opening experience for most people. Over on AutoblogGreen the headline was, "LA Times' Dan Neil gushes over Tesla Roadster". I answered:

I'm having a hard time thinking of anyone yet who has ridden in the Tesla Roadster and didn't brag on it. (re: Winding Road, Automobile, Autocar) It's almost eerie how unanimous the sentiments are. I didn't necessarily expect to see bad reviews, but the lack of less-than-gushing reviews is remarkable.

AutoblogGreen also reported on Arnold Schwarzenegger's appearance at the LA Auto Show. As they tell it: