Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA store video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3174862013_6a52ff341f.jpg

Is that the bottom of the toaster?

Looks more like it heats bagels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - I had heard it called a DC->DC (375V->12V) converter as well.

So where is the real DC->DC? Built into the ESS?

At one point someone said one of the 11 "sheets" in the ESS was just to supply 12V, but that just seemed wrong to me. I think it would make more sense to get your 12V from a DC->DC converter so that you have even battery drain. In other words you could leave the headlights on for days (and slowly drain the entire pack), rather than have them drain a dedicated 12V sheet in hours.

By the way if you look closely at the ESS patent diagram it does show 12V coming out of the ESS and an accessory power converter inside.
It shows one 12V circuit to power the PEM computers, and another 12V to power the car accessories (like radio/n

Last edited:
29004750152_large.jpg
2896678547_90b3a90621.jpg

(Notice how the heatsink fin design changed from prototype to production in the two photos above)

It is not a DC-DC converter.
HVAC Compressor controller and cabin heater controller.

So what about the CNet guy's "World's biggest travel adapter" at 2:40 in this Video? :

Deenko, is the big heatsink the top of a DC/DC converter (like the guy in the video says), or is it the A/C controller?

I think Deenko was talking about VFX's pic, not Doug's and there might be two different boxes under there...

And Rachel talking about the "Transformer" (to run your kitchen appliances) at 2:20 :

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I am more convinced that there are two boxes there.
In this photo:
3178155800_0658e667d3.jpg

The propped up box on top is what we jokingly refer to as "The Toaster" and it is what many have called a DC/DC converter (but is it?)
The box below, hooked up to the round ("Elephant Trunk") air hose is what has been called "The Bagel" maker.

I am fairly sure that bottom box redirects air to the cabin vents (depending on where you set the vent controls), but not so sure about the box (with heatsinks) above. So many have called it a DC/DC converter, but is it instead an inverter for the A/C pump motor?

Oh, and where is the heating element for the electric heater? (in the bottom box?)

Last edited:
Guesses:

electric A/C compressor (where does this fit in the car?);
3174844675_31022b0a8e.jpg

Note, most ICE vehicles have a belt driven mechanical A/C compressor rather than an electric one like above.

"The Bagel Maker" (air flow redirector going to dash vents?);
3174862013_6a52ff341f.jpg

(I think the above device lives below "The Toaster").

I bet a good number of Tesla engineers who know exactly what these devices do are getting a chuckle out of all our fumbling about over this!

Last edited:
3189961472_221bc9421b_b.jpg

See those wire above the large orange one going to the PEM. Those are the 12V lines for the car.

Thanks, Deenko - so the DC/DC is in the ESS like the patent diagram implied...

So I suspect both of the boxes up front are HVAC related.
The top one is probably an inverter/controller for the A/C compressor (it isn't DC is it?), and the bottom one probably cools or heats the air and passes it into the cabin vents. I think there is a heating element and refrigerant evaporator either in the bottom box or behind the dash. (Still just guesses though).

Unfortunately the box on top has a heat sink that isn't used to warm the cabin air! Also the condenser up front warms passthrough air that isn't used to warm the cabin either. There is probably room for efficiency improvements if you could make some sort of "heat pump" system that used the compressor to create warm cabin air when needed instead of using a heating element for that.

air_conditioning.jpg

Last edited: