Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA to Cody, Wyoming????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd recommend taking I-15 North to Salt Lake City, then taking I-80 East to Rawlins, then taking US30 & WY-487 to Casper, then I25 North to Sheridan and finally US-14 West to Cody. @pox installed a level 2 charger in Cody that will help charge up to get back to Sheridan and reverse the route. Google map of route

Alternatively, @pox also installed a level 2 charger in Riverton which would be a shortcut if you go up from Rock Springs via US-191, WY-28, US-26, US20, and WY-120. It's 140 miles for both legs from Rock Springs to Riverton then to Cody so only a shortcut if you can take advantage of 72A or 80A charging in Riverton but it is four hours shorter. Google map of route

Have a Model Y Long Range and using the Supercharger system cannot figure out how to go from LA to Cody, WY, our destination. Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
What does the car tell you when you have it navigate to Cody? There's 3 or 4 superchargers less than 150 miles from Cody, so it shouldn't have any trouble finding a route that will get you there.

Reactions: sdoorex
I'd recommend taking I-15 North to Salt Lake City, then taking I-80 East to Rawlins, then taking US30 & WY-487 to Casper, then I25 North to Sheridan and finally US-14 West to Cody. @pox installed a level 2 charger in Cody that will help charge up to get back to Sheridan and reverse the route. Google map of route

Alternatively, @pox also installed a level 2 charger in Riverton which would be a shortcut if you go up from Rock Springs via US-191, WY-28, US-26, US20, and WY-120. It's 140 miles for both legs from Rock Springs to Riverton then to Cody so only a shortcut if you can take advantage of 72A or 80A charging in Riverton but it is four hours shorter. Google map of route
2nd route mentioned here seems like the best option to me. Of course it sort of depends on whether or not the OP has a good charging setup in Cody. If not, he may want to take a different route, so he can charge to near full at a supercharger that is closer so he can arrive in Cody with a decent amount of charge.

Another option would be to go through Evanston and Jackson. This would be a couple hours slower, but it's all superchargers so should be simpler and more reliable. The downside of taking this route this year is that it goes through two national parks and I'm guessing you'd need to get reservations to enter each park, which complicates the trip with additional planning. Also, if you don't have the parks pass, you'd have to pay to enter each park even though you are just passing through.

Upon further review, I'd take I-15 all the way up to Idaho Falls, then go to West Yellowstone, and finally drive across Yellowstone NP to Cody. All superchargers and <1 hour longer than the fastest path in a gas car. Again you'd need to pay the entrance fee to enter Yellowstone (assuming you enter during hours when the gate is manned), but as far as I can tell from googling, you don't need a reservation to enter Yellowstone. Definitely double check on the latter though as many other national parks are requiring reservations this summer.

Upon further review, I'd take I-15 all the way up to Idaho Falls, then go to West Yellowstone, and finally drive across Yellowstone NP to Cody. All superchargers and <1 hour longer than the fastest path in a gas car. Again you'd need to pay the entrance fee to enter Yellowstone (assuming you enter during hours when the gate is manned), but as far as I can tell from googling, you don't need a reservation to enter Yellowstone. Definitely double check on the latter though as many other national parks are requiring reservations this summer.

I'd second this route suggestion. And it's true - no reservation required to enter Yellowstone NP. But there can be long lines in the morning to enter the park, especially via the West Yellowstone entrance.

I'd second this route suggestion. And it's true - no reservation required to enter Yellowstone NP. But there can be long lines in the morning to enter the park, especially via the West Yellowstone entrance.
Yeah, there are actually relatively few NPs that require reservations, and some are only for specific places in the park. Yosemite, Rocky Mountain, and Going to the Sun Road in Glacier are the ones I know about. Arches really should have reservations, but they don't, so they're routinely seeing hours long lines by 10 am to get in.

Reactions: dgpcolorado