Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA to Las Vegas in 60Kw Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
Anybody done this yet?

Google shows Pasadena to Barstow is 107 miles
Barstow to Primm is 114 miles
Primm to Summerlin is 60 miles

Destination charger at the Red Rock gets me filled up on the way back. Rancho Cucamonga is also there, in case I want to drive a bit more "spirited" on the way home...

The 60Kw Model X page says 200 miles. Just curious if anyone has done this, or if I am going to end up driving 50mph in the right lane behind an AMC Pacer?

RT

My X60D hasn't been delivered yet, but it seems like the real range at 5 over posted is 170-180, if weather isn't too bad. I'm planning to drive DC to St Louis MO in November, most of the hops are around 100-120 miles.

I'm also reading that we charge to 60kWh quite fast, since we really have 75kWh batteries. So, 15-30 minutes of charging for 1-2 hours of driving. Seems like a cake walk.

Anyone actually have their 60 X yet?

My supercharger strategy (which has served me well on separate trips to Canada, Texas, Colorado, etc is as follows:

Arrive at SC site on the low side (example 35 miles left). Check miles to next SC site (example 75). Add a buffer for hills and sightseeing (charge to 125).

Charge from arrival (35 miles) to the estimated 125 miles. Once that's achieved, take off for the next SC site...In may take 15-25 minutes, depending on SC traffic.

Nevetsyad: I don't think you're going to charge up to 60 kWh (full for you) in 15 minutes. It isn't that fast, and the tapering effect will take place to slow down the charge rate)...

I said 15-30 minutes. 15 For just enough to make it an hour to a nearby charger. 30 minutes for nearly full to make it to further ones. The battery is incapable of charging beyond ~80%, because of software lock, so we should never see that last bit taking an hour, from 90-100% like on other cars. For us, we're really charging from 52-60kWh on a 75kWh battery, and seeing it at "100%". So, more frequent stops, but fairly fast charging, since we're doing 10-80% charge if we do a full charge.