Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA to NY Kick-off Rally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Collage 2014-01-30 02_14_18.jpg

The forecast calls for 10 to 15 inches of snow over Vail Pass in Colorado with heaviest snow today afternoon into Fri morning. The rally should hit Vail Pass some time today's evening.

For those in attendance for the kick-off event, anybody knows how the team plans to cope?

Good luck to our team!

The forecast calls for 10 to 15 inches of snow over Vail Pass in Colorado with heaviest snow today afternoon into Fri morning. The rally should hit Vail Pass some time today's evening.

For those in attendance for the kick-off event, anybody knows how the team plans to cope?

Good luck to our team!
S'pose the goal here is to prove the point that even if an ICE cannot manage it, an EV can?
At any expense? Wonder if the drivers had to sign a waiver? :)
Love the car decals!

Not to start a heated debate, but I wondered how smart it was that the "Daddy-daughter" team was to do what they did knowing the entire run had yet to be tested and "approved" by TM.
(When I originally read the story and given no facts, I thought it was a "baby" daughter, which I would consider risky at best.)
I would not want to be stranded in ANY car at -20F on the open roads (if a SC failed), and given EV's are still a rarity, waiting for Tesla service in the middle of Dakota?

So 10 to 15 (inches of snow) is going to be quite the challenge.

Good luck guys!

Geez, I hate to say it, but I-70 is already closed through Glenwood Canyon and over Vail Pass, and the worst of the storm is yet to come. They'd better reserve some rooms in Grand Junction or Rifle for tonight...if there are any rooms to be had.

- - - Updated - - -

Pano would add weight I believe, which would reduce range. Thing I found oddest was no aero wheels, which I suppose aren't available anymore but would have been nice to have.

The cars are sporting the OEM 19" cyclone wheels. I didn't get to read the tire sidewalls (they were staged in front of the crowd for only a minute or two) so I don't know what tires they chose.

The cars are sporting the OEM 19" cyclone wheels. I didn't get to read the tire sidewalls (they were staged in front of the crowd for only a minute or two) so I don't know what tires they chose.
From Alexander's 3rd picture:
  • No spoiler.
  • Black seats.
  • P85 (trunk label).
  • Tech package (diffuser).
And 4th picture:
  • No fog lights.
  • No front plate.

Kind of surprised they went with P85 actually, rather than 85. Totally makes sense not to go + for this adventure.

Last edited:
I wonder what will happen to the 2 cars when they get to NY? Remove the decals and become loaners at a NY Service Center?
Be auctioned off for a charity? Put in a future Tesla museum? Lots of possibilities. I assume the drivers will fly back, no one wants to do that drive round trip.