Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA to SF trip energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone tell me the real world maximum energy consumption in total kwh or kwh/mi for a trip from los angeles to san francisco on route 5? Real world means with luggage, the wife and kids, and the air conditioner on in summer. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me the real world maximum energy consumption in total kwh or kwh/mi for a trip from los angeles to san francisco on route 5? Real world means with luggage, the wife and kids, and the air conditioner on in summer. Thanks.
Average speeds on that part of I5 vary quite a bit. Speed is the major factor when determining energy consumption. Going 80 uses a lot more energy than going 70. Follow the advice of @JasonA-EV. There are now so many Superchargers on that route that you don't have to worry about finding charging spots.

Every Supercharger capable Tesla ever made can drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco. You don't even need to start with a full charge. You don't need elaborate planning for this easy trip.

1) Load car

2) Don't forget sun glasses

3) Hold the top right steering wheel button, and wait for the beep, and while continuing to hold that button say, "Navigate (street address, city, state) or (landmark name) or just city name.

4) The car will tell you where to charge, and for how long

5) Drive the car to each recommended charge location, plug in and charge, and don't leave until the percentage of charge remaining at the next stop is 15-20%

6) While you are driving, monitor the percentage remaining at the destination. If it is trending downward, you need to slow down from whatever speed you are at. For instance, if you were driving 75mph, try 70mph to see if that stops the decrease. If not, slow to 65mph.

7) When you are within 50 miles or so of the destination or next charging spot, it's ok for the remaining percentage to be trending downward, provided you can be reasonably assured that you will remain above 5% at the end of that leg of the trip.

Last edited:

Over the long July 4 weekend, my wife, mil and I with full luggage did the OC to Napa round trip. I just let the Tesla Model S 70 GPS plan the trip - it also routes you to the requisite number of SCs. Here are my findings:
OC- Napa: GPS planned two SC stops 1.5 hr each but for return planned 3 stops 30 min each.

Left OC fully charged, First supercharger at Buttonwillow - 8 chargers only 1 being used, no wait but slow charging 96mi/hr at 24KW. Eating options available incl Starbucks.

2nd SC stop was at Gustine - supercharger was super fast: 211-300 mi/hr at 46KW

Anderson's Pea soup restaurant and bar - nice place for snack, lunch, and drinks

Stayed in hotel just a few miles from Devlin Rd in NAPA - supercharger ( did not plan to be so close to a SC)
Great charging times- 280 mi/hr at 76 KW daytime noon ; Evening 165 mi/hr at 49KW
There's a Circle K stocked with wine and nice patio area to sit - its a stepped up Circle K

On Return trip back to OC:

GPS provided 3 supercharger stops each for 30 min

1. Gustine: 265/hr at 54 KW no waiting
  2. Harris Ranch - 18 stalls no waiting
  3. Tejon CA 8-10 stalls most are covered, no waiting - fast charging

OC- Napa: GPS planned two SC stops 1.5 hr each...
That is a charging navigation failure by the in-car nav. It's an absurd plan given how many Supercharger choices there are along the route you were taking.

This is a sensible plan:
  • Gustine: 265/hr at 54 KW no waiting
  • Harris Ranch - 18 stalls no waiting
  • Tejon CA 8-10 stalls most are covered, no waiting - fast charging