Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA to the Bay or vice versa in a model 3 LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the same thing but instead, it has 2 stops. Here's the link: A Better Routeplanner
It's faster to stop twice because charging from 10% to 50% takes way less time than charging from 50% to 90%. You can do it with one stop it will just take longer because you'll have to charge all the way from 10% to 90% instead of 10% to 50% twice. Hope that makes sense. haha

Reactions: e-FTW
It's faster to stop twice because charging from 10% to 50% takes way less time than charging from 50% to 90%. You can do it with one stop it will just take longer because you'll have to charge all the way from 10% to 90% instead of 10% to 50% twice. Hope that makes sense. haha
Thanks! How much longer is the 10% to 90%? Just curious of how much time I'd actually save by doing 2 stops. I don't have my car yet (waiting on vin) but trying to figure out if its easy to "skip' super chargers when actually on the trip.

My 3 has more range than my S which has been to LA several times. What's the scare about stopping more than once? There's no penalty. Superchargers are usually open and near the freeway, and most of us appreciate a bathroom break and a bite to eat after three hours of driving.

And why is everyone worried about making the trip 20 minutes faster? Maybe leave the house a few minutes earlier? I don't think they pass out any medals for making the trip in under 5 hours, and driving the car, or watching it drive itself, is really rather entertaining.

My 3 has more range than my S which has been to LA several times. What's the scare about stopping more than once? There's no penalty. Superchargers are usually open and near the freeway, and most of us appreciate a bathroom break and a bite to eat after three hours of driving.
Not really a scare but thought I'd be able to drive over 172 miles (2:37 minutes using my link above) before having to stop. Then driving another hour and stopping again. Seems like a choppy trip.

I'd rather drive 3.5 hours then stop for 30-40 mins and eat then finish the trip. Just seeing if that's remotely possible.

Has anyone done this trip? If so, assuming you left with a 100% charge, did you do it in 1 stop? Ev Trip planner says its possible and A better route planner says it isn't. I'd love any real world data on this trip!
I've done this a few times already.Taking the 5 and the 101. I usually charge to 80 or 90 before a trip. Just leave and follow the advice of your car's navigation. Example. Last time car had me charge 25 minutes at Atascadero and 15 at Gilroy which took me all the way to my destination of Petaluma. There really is no reason to overthink it.

• Love
Reactions: lemketron
It's totally possible with a ~50 minute stop at Kettleman City or Harris Ranch. I drove Santa Monica to Palo Alto in March and planned on doing just that, but as I was approaching Gilroy I had to pee so badly (and I wasn't sure what my charging situation would be at my hotel destination) that I stopped in at Gilroy and charged for 15 minutes anyway. :)

Of course, this may also depend on exactly where you're starting from and going to. Orange County to Sonoma, for example, is an extra 90 or so miles than Santa Monica to Palo Alto...and probably a lot more traffic!

For what it's worth, the Wild Salmon Sandwich at the western-themed restaurant in Kettleman City was surprisingly good.

• Informative
Reactions: BillO and tracksyde