Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA to Vegas - LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... unless you enjoy pissing people off and/or potentially being run off the road a few times.
you'd literally have to average 55mph (maybe 60) to do that trip without stopping.
... I can make it without stopping if i only average 56mph the entire way. no thanks.
Some people did it doing Hyperlinking back then in 2012 using a Tesla Model S in this first trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas in only one charge!

Here is a picture of TS vs. ST (Tesla Model S P85 vs Semi Truck) at 55 m/h without AC during summer time (September 6th 2012)

TSvST.jpg

Last edited:
My concern is that I've read on long weekends you can wait hours for a SC. I drove back on July 4th weekend and it took me 7.5 hrs to get back. The traffic in baker alone was about 45 mins, so I can only imagine what the SCs looked like.

Has the Baker supercharger EVER been full with a line? I don't think so...

Yermo and Barstow can get a bit congested but there are lots of options to choose from now.

Reactions: crackers8199
Just in case someone is doing some home work research, if you try going to The Grand Canyon, (see visitor information updates)
I would recommend avoiding the South Rim entrance coming from William, to avoid possible long waiting lines at the National Park toll plaza,
and use instead the East Desert View entrance coming from Flagstaff, where there is also a Tesla Supercharger.

Last edited:
Just in case someone is doing some home work research, if you try going to The Grand Canyon,
I would recommend avoiding the South Rim entrance coming from William, to avoid possible long waiting time at the National Park toll plaza.
and use instead the East Desert View entrance coming from Flagstaff, where there is also a Tesla Supercharger.

Or park in Williams, let your car charge all day, and take the train to the south rim. That was by far the best way I've visited the Grand Canyon and would jump at the chance to do it again.

Just in case someone is doing some home work research, if you try going to The Grand Canyon, (see visitor information updates)
I would recommend avoiding the South Rim entrance coming from William, to avoid possible long waiting lines at the National Park toll plaza,

We were at Grand Canyon a few weeks ago, the East View entrance is closed due to COVID, the only way in is through South Rim. We weren't in our Tesla, but we did take a look at the Supercharger station, and it had one car in it. And, there were no lines to get into the park. Drove right in. The park itself was also very quiet, the only crowded place was Mather Point. Also, note that no shuttles are running along the rim, and the road is still closed. So, you can't get to most of the viewpoints except by foot. The east road is open to about 5 miles before Desert View.

We were there the weekend before July 4th.

Keith

These kinds of questions are pretty irritating
Seems like you are trying to stack all the problems you can to defeat your goal of driving straight thorough.
Yep, and this is why this question is irritating so many people. I've seen it many times on this forum: "Can I drive from X to Y straight through without stopping?"
And they want a yes or not answer or complicated strategies to make it just barely possible.
But it doesn't deserve those kinds of answers. The answer is: That's annoying and pointless, so don't do it. Use the Superchargers.

We were at Grand Canyon a few weeks ago, the East View entrance is closed due to COVID, the only way in is through South Rim. We weren't in our Tesla, but we did take a look at the Supercharger station, and it had one car in it. And, there were no lines to get into the park. Drove right in. The park itself was also very quiet, the only crowded place was Mather Point. Also, note that no shuttles are running along the rim, and the road is still closed. So, you can't get to most of the viewpoints except by foot. The east road is open to about 5 miles before Desert View.

We were there the weekend before July 4th.

Keith

Do they allow bicycles on the paths inaccessible by car?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
My concern is that I've read on long weekends you can wait hours for a SC. I drove back on July 4th weekend and it took me 7.5 hrs to get back. The traffic in baker alone was about 45 mins, so I can only imagine what the SCs looked like.

Ive done this trip over 15 time in my P85D from LA use Highway 210 to the 15 N if you didn't depart at 100% then you can stop at Fontana Urban chargers (24 Urban chargers, available 24/7, up to 72kW). Right next to del taco ( use restroom or grab a snack). If you did depart at 100% then skip Fontana and stop at Yermo (18 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 150kW). Eddie World has clean restrooms as well as plenty of snacks to choose from. I have never waited at either of these two locations to charge. If by chance Yermo is full Baker is not too far and has 40 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 150kW you will need to verify if you have enough range to get to Baker. This is all advice based off of driving 80+ MPH which is what traffic flows going to Vegas.

@Beachybumm as an additional point of reference here: the last time i did this drive in my model 3 (again, the exact same car you have), i stopped at yermo both times (on the way there and the way back). my grand total combined for the entire trip? $10.36...and we didn't even really need to stop for that long, we took some extra time to walk the dogs around and let them pee. had it just been my wife and i, would have been even less than that.

the moral of the story: i'm sure you can afford $10 for fuel and the added peace of mind of not having to worry about getting stuck. just stop once in each direction and be done with it.

The short answer is “NO” especially at 77 mph, from LA or San Diego to Vegas is mostly uphill. Best bet is to stop in Yermo, Ca. Eddie World and get a 15 - 20 min charge there and that will take you straight into Vegas.

The picture below is my trip from San Diego into Yermo.

20370F02-299E-4651-B322-7E0546C14294.jpeg

84664042-A85E-4FEC-BB1A-D79F88E1A56B.jpeg

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone has made the LA to Vegas trip with a 2018 M3 LR, starting at 100%. It's 267 miles, but my car is rated for 310. Of course, there are major temp changes along the route, especially in the summer where it goes from 80 in LA to 110 in Vegas.

But I'm wondering if anyone has ever made this trip without stopping, averaging around 77mph. I hate the idea of waiting and paying for SCs when I can charge for free once I get to Vegas (my gf lives in a bldg with free chargers).

Has anyone done this trip without stopping? If so, what percent battery was left?

It boggles my mind people buy a $50,000 car and don't want to pay $5 for electricity.