Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA to Vegas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if you guys think an 85 kWh would make the trip without needing a charge (260 miles), or would that be cutting it too close? That would be with a couple passengers and luggage and probably AC.

you can charge in barstow to pick up additional range..

No offense, I hope we do not see these "can I make it threads?" proliferate this forum.

I was recently thinking the same thing on a San Diego to Vegas basis (307 miles). With 75mph average speeds and max air conditioning (90-100° outside temps) for most of the trip, I'm guessing the 85 kwh car would get about 250-260 miles.

I'm doing my annual road trip with the guys on Thursday. We usually stop in Barstow for a quick bite and a stretch of the legs, so if there was a Supercharger there, it would be easy to juice up in 20-30 minutes. With a 40A connector, it would probably require a minimum of a 90-120 minute stop while the car added ~30 miles of range/hour. My turn to drive comes next summer, if there is no supercharger, I'll probably have to take my ICE (if I still have it by then) or maybe rent something, as our usual rest stop is usually only 30 minutes.

We usually stop in Barstow for a quick bite and a stretch of the legs, so if there was a Supercharger there, it would be easy to juice up in 20-30 minutes.

I've seen a couple of threads (don't remember which ones) where people have brought up the desire for a supercharger in/around Barstow. As someone who does the LA to Vegas drive, I'd also appreciate a supercharger there once my "S" comes.

We usually stop in Barstow for a quick bite and a stretch of the legs, so if there was a Supercharger there, it would be easy to juice up in 20-30 minutes. With a 40A connector, it would probably require a minimum of a 90-120 minute stop while the car added ~30 miles of range/hour.

There is a 70A HPC in Barstow (1611 E Main St), so if you get the twin chargers, you could charge at 55 miles of range/hour.

The charging station is right at the NcDonald's with the train attached in Barstow. It's right under the McDonald's sign.

Barstow_Tesla_Charging_Station.jpg

Checked it out on my anuual NAB trip to Vegas. Next year, I'll stop and top off while taking my usual break.

I didn't say I would eat at the McDonald's, just that is where the charging station is. Anyone exiting the freeway will see your car sitting there charging. Very convenient on/off. Yes, the sign had the circle as part of it.

For an LA (or more accurately, OC) to Vegas run, I would have noooo problem stopping at the McDonalds for a charge.
As it is, I feel obligated to patronize a place that has charging stations.

For those of us *not* getting an 85 kWh battery pack, it will be a mandatory stop anyway.

Better get your rezzies now. I strongly suspect that a year from now there will be a line of Teslas to use it on the weekend.

-- Ardie
Super size, er, supercharge me.

How much rated miles are used to commute from Barstow to Vegas cruising around 70ish MPH. I'm thinking about trying the commute on a 60 kWh and was wondering if I'll have enough to make it there. Where are you guys charging while in Vegas? I'm sure I would have to range charge just to make the journey back to Barstow especially with full A/C on.

How much rated miles are used to commute from Barstow to Vegas cruising around 70ish MPH. I'm thinking about trying the commute on a 60 kWh and was wondering if I'll have enough to make it there. Where are you guys charging while in Vegas? I'm sure I would have to range charge just to make the journey back to Barstow especially with full A/C on.

I did this last week in a 60kWh Model S loaded with 5 people and all their luggage.

Made it from Barstow to Mandalay Bay/Four Seasons with about 30 miles of range to spare. Cruised at about 70mph with AC and a tailwind. In Vegas, I charged at one of the two free J-1772 chargers available at the Mandalay Shops.

On the way back it was about the same, even with a slight headwind.

I've got the kWh written down at home and I'll upload later.

I also did this trip recently - Barstow SC to Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay)

Distance - 158.7 miles, 49.8 kWh - 314 Wh/mi - we were averaging about 70 mph on that leg with a pretty crazy sandstorm.

Did the same trip backwards - Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay) - to Barstow SC

Distance - 156.6 miles, 58.3 kWh, 372 Wh/mi - averaging about 80 mph. much less wind on this leg. different driver. The average speeds for both legs are gross estimate.

Let's just say there was absolutely no range anxiety since we were using a P85. However, if the SC is offline -- you're absolutely screwed. No good alternatives.

We had two separate experiences while charging. during the first leg, we charged at rates up to 198 mi/hr - 383 V, 147 A. Of course there was fluctuation as there always is during a supercharge. Plus we did a range charge so it took a little longer. In retrospect, a range charge on a 85 battery is absolutely NOT necessary. If all the 60 kw cars are making it from Barstow to LV and back. Then it stands to reason that a standard charge on an 85 is more than plenty.

On the way, back there was someone already charging so we were initially only charging at approximately 70 mi/hr, (337V 65 A), and it slowly increased to 90 mi/hr (361 v 124A). Once the other car left and we were by ourselves, I unplugged and plugged in to be able to take advantage of the full SC and I immediately increased to up to 205 mi/hr (379V, 170A).

Lessons learned from first trip to Las Vegas.

1. Don't need a range charge for either leg on an 85kw battery. Standard charge is plenty.
2. If the Barstow SC is offline, you're screwed.
3. Mandalay Bay shoppes (or Venetian) - J1772 - are adequate. However, my trip was during the week. If many of us converge, you're also screwed.

I checked out KOA and that is a reasonable alternative ($20) - NEMA 14-50 plugs all over the place.
Also, the NV Energy and Clark county sites off the strip are good alternatives, which I also checked out - but you would need a way to get back and forth from your hotel on the strip (taxi or a second car).

2. If the Barstow SC is offline, you're screwed.
3. Mandalay Bay shoppes (or Venetian) - J1772 - are adequate. However, my trip was during the week. If many of us converge, you're also screwed....

I admit that Vegas is not well plug served yet (100 Model S' are moving into town) but "screwed" is a matter of an owner's time and willingness as an early adopter.
If you had an early cell phone you had to drive all around till you could find a working tower.
With an EV you have many phone apps that tell you were to plug in. For instance with preplanning you might take advantage of the Cosmopolitan with a 70A Roadster plug. The highway to Vegas has the Barstow McDonald's 70a Roadster plug and several along the way there are Nissan dealerships with J1772s. Ideal? No. Screwed? No again.