Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA / Valley: NEMA 14-50 or Wall Charger? Electrician recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I am in the process of finishing up the paperwork to acquire a house in Woodland Hills, CA. It has a de-attached garage with a 110V plug in it that is about 40ft away from the panel. I want to upgrade that and honestly not sure if I should do the NEMA 14-50 with the mobile charger (it came with MY '21) or the Wall Charger given there is a 1K rebate opportunity with LADWP. Any thoughts?

My other question is the electrician as part of this ROI. I saw the list on Tesla's website and quotes have been pretty steep on the 1000s... are there any recommendations for LA / the valley area? I've search in other threads but no one puts their contact info and I cannot DM here yet still...

Thanks,

Hi all,
I am in the process of finishing up the paperwork to acquire a house in Woodland Hills, CA. It has a de-attached garage with a 110V plug in it that is about 40ft away from the panel. I want to upgrade that and honestly not sure if I should do the NEMA 14-50 with the mobile charger (it came with MY '21) or the Wall Charger given there is a 1K rebate opportunity with LADWP. Any thoughts?

My other question is the electrician as part of this ROI. I saw the list on Tesla's website and quotes have been pretty steep on the 1000s... are there any recommendations for LA / the valley area? I've search in other threads but no one puts their contact info and I cannot DM here yet still...

Thanks,
Do you plan to drive a lot? Is there any reason to go beyond the 120V charging you have(5 mi/hr)? Is that a dedicated 120V outlet, and if so you could change it into a 240V for a breaker and a receptacle. Is it a 15 or 20 amp outlet now? What breaker is it on(some electricians will just stick a 15 amp outlet on a 20 amp breaker/wire because it what they have handy).

If you can get a 240V/20 amp outlet out there, that's like 17 mi/hr, at a cost of like $50-$100 in GFCI breaker and receptacle.

Reactions: fcastroa
Great idea @Sophias_dad !! I am moving during the weekend, I'll find these out... but yeah I don't drive a lot during the week (eating a 20% most of the days) but during the weekends sometimes I use 50-70% of the battery easily so that's why I wanted to do the Wall Charger (plus the fact it was just gifted to me)

Great idea @Sophias_dad !! I am moving during the weekend, I'll find these out... but yeah I don't drive a lot during the week (eating a 20% most of the days) but during the weekends sometimes I use 50-70% of the battery easily so that's why I wanted to do the Wall Charger (plus the fact it was just gifted to me)
If you anticipate burning 50% to 70% battery on weekends, that is a 10 to 15 hour charge on a 240V / 20A circuit but more likely 14 to 20 hour recharge on the more likely 240V / 15A circuit. For that, I would do whatever is possible to run a 60A 240V hardwire circuit. That would get your worst case weekend recharge down to 5 hours.

Just an FYI, if that's a dedicated garage outlet you could easily have the HPWC installed in its place. That would eliminate the need for the GFCI breaker.

Keep in mind it would suck to not have a 120V outlet in the garage for occasional use!