Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA -> Vegas roadtrip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done a LA-Vegas trip in the height of summer and have experience to share? I'm planning a trip in July and was wondering how the car will behave in the intense desert heat... range hits, AC performance, any SC to avoid or favor, etc. I'm guessing a roof shade will be handy... anyone got one to recommend?

Thanks in advance.

One of the best tools for planning when taking trips in your Tesla vehicle is A Better Route Planner (ABRP). You can download ABRP onto your phone or access ABRP from your computer. You can set trip parameters including the route, vehicle speed, outside temperature, wind and road conditions.

ABRP will provide detailed information on recommended charging intervals, distances between charging stops, charging duration and cost. You can enter your vehicle model, starting battery charge level, Supercharger arrival charge level and destination charge level.

ABRP

A sunshade for the glass roof of the Model Y will be helpful. There are many styles and brands, including the sunshade that Tesla sells. There are newer two piece sunshades that eliminate the sag in the middle that was common with the earlier designs.

LA to Vegas is one of the most heavily traveled routes for Tesla vehicles. You will find Superchargers at Barstow, Baker and Prim. Barstow currently has two separate SC locations with a new 100 charging space SC currently being built.

Last edited:
I took my SRMY August of 2021 and it was perfectly fine. I stopped twice back and forth. The charge stations were great. This is what it cost.
C9AA2690-B89C-4907-9F30-B2257E6E7868.jpeg

Reactions: Ken_Y
In a Model Y LR, due to the elevation decline, it’s actually possible to drive from Vegas back to LA (depends where you live in LA) with zero charging stops! Done it, even with AC on with temp in the 90’s.

Of course, not possible to do that going the other way (LA to Vegas). Incline saps all the juice. No chance! So you’ll need to stop at least once……

Maybe several stops if you have one of the model 3 standards or ultra-rare YSR’s.

Baker is a good place, as there’s 40 charging handles there (LR cars can make it here as a first charging stop) but there’s not much in the way of food and exciting things around that one. At least there’s a huge shade covering the car while you charge. Eddie World (Yermo) is a MUCH nicer stop, with the restaurants, ice cream, souvenirs, hot sauce array, etc. Great place if you have kids in tow. It can get crowded really quick there though, and no shade. Keep in mind, SR models dont have the range to make it to Baker so they usually stop at Eddie World, and then Primm. Fewer (18) charge handles + more cars = possible long wait times during the day.

All these are V2’s, so courtesy charging applies (don’t charge right next to someone if many are available)

Barstow Outlets will be adding 100 more charging handles hopefully soon. Once those are open, that might be a good option.

32B3FA00-B7E0-4AC1-9BD1-1E6B0893BAEF.jpeg

Last edited:
Would a single stop in Baker been possible?
Or may be stopping at Hesperia and Linq High Roller, which are both 250 kW Superchargers, would save time?
Even though Danger is my middle name, that would’ve been cutting really close. From my house to the Baker supercharger is about 200 miles. I started with 225 miles or so. It is better to be safe than sorry. Plus, at Yermo, you could stop at EddieWorld.

In a Model Y LR, due to the decline, it’s actually possible to drive from Vegas back to LA (depends where you live in LA) with zero charging stops! Done it, even with AC on with temp in the 90’s.

Of course, not possible to do that going the other way (LA to Vegas). No chance. So you’ll need to stop at least once……

Maybe several stops if you have one of the ultra-rare YSR’s.

Baker is a good place, as there’s 40 charging handles there (LR cars can make it here as a first charging stop) but there’s not much in the way of food and exciting things around that one. At least there’s a huge shade covering the car while you charge. Eddie World (Yermo) is a MUCH nicer stop, with the restaurants, ice cream, souvenirs, hot sauce array, etc. Great place if you have kids in tow. It can get crowded really quick there though, and no shade. Keep in mind, SR models dont have the range to make it to Baker so they usually stop at Eddie World, and then Primm. Fewer (18) charge handles + more cars = possible long wait times during the day.

All these are V2’s, so courtesy charging applies (don’t charge right next to someone if many are available)

Barstow Outlets will be adding 100 more charging handles hopefully soon. Once those are open, that might be a good option.
At Baker, you can always stop at the Mad Greek.

The problem with that place is that its not within summer walking distance (when temps hit 100+) from the supercharger. It’s one thing to do something while waiting for the supercharger, another to do it before or after supercharging.
That’s true. I mean, you can always order the food, and take it back to the charger. You have your car charge while you enjoy some mediocre Greek food.

• Funny
Reactions: Exelion
Supercharging prices have gone up.

Yermo is slightly cheaper. Also Primm is slightly cheaper as well.
If you need to stop maybe aim for those 2 SC.

Last SC that has off peak price is Fontana. Then nothing else will have off peak pricing.

Off peak charging in Vegas is way cheaper than LA so maybe get a near full charge before heading back to LA.

Supercharging prices have gone up.

Yermo is slightly cheaper. Also Primm is slightly cheaper as well.
If you need to stop maybe aim for those 2 SC.

Last SC that has off peak price is Fontana. Then nothing else will have off peak pricing.

Off peak charging in Vegas is way cheaper than LA so maybe get a near full charge before heading back to LA.
Hotels will charge your car without a charge. At least at the Aria, they charged the car up without charging me.

Would a single stop in Baker been possible?
Or may be stopping at Hesperia and Linq High Roller, which are both 250 kW Superchargers, would save time?

Same here. I went last July and a SR and it was HOT HOT like 120F hot. I probably could've made it with just one charge at Yermo if I charge it to 90% but it predicted SoC at arrival at 10% which was well more than my tolerance for comfort so I charged one more time Baker. I mean there really isn't a need to be dogmatic about "just 1 charge". Charge as many times as the navigation tells you. It is the fastest. BTW, I did have a roof shade and it helped tremendously. We actually made it from LA to Zion and back without any issues under 110-120F.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Yermo has been my favorite spot to charge, but…. I just made it from Primm to Yermo last time, even though it said I have at least 15% leeway when I left Primm…. The culprit? A bad headwind. Made it with 7% but i did have to slow down and draft some trucks…. First time I had some anxiety. I should have just gone to Baker for a quick bump, but I enjoy Eddie’s World too much.

I have a CCS adapter now which also will make height of travel season a little less stressful. I couldn’t live without the SunRoof shade either.