Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of 360 degree camera (birds eye view)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I'm a little concerned that tesla has painted itself into a corner the way it has marketed FSD as enabling the side cameras.
If they now enable increasingly common features that use side cameras like lane watch and 360 for everyone people who bought FSD could complain that the sales people told them that you had to buy FSD to enable the side cameras. If they enabled it for just the FSD folks, everyone else could complain that those features have nothing to do with FSD.
They could enable them to assist in displaying cars in the display and providing a more accurate lane change warning without having FSD features.

Yeah they could enable them. I'm just saying it's unfortunate they conflated the side cameras being enabled with purchasing FSD.

For people hoping for an identical 360 implementation from what they see in other cars. I'm pretty sure other manufacturers are simply purchasing this Bosch system. I'm also guessing that system is quite pattented. So any system Tesla might offer is going to have to be a bit different.

Yeah I'm a little concerned that tesla has painted itself into a corner the way it has marketed FSD as enabling the side cameras.
If they now enable increasingly common features that use side cameras like lane watch and 360 for everyone people who bought FSD could complain that the sales people told them that you had to buy FSD to enable the side cameras. If they enabled it for just the FSD folks, everyone else could complain that those features have nothing to do with FSD.
Surround view should have nothing to do with EAP or FSD. Sadly I don’t think the side cameras point down far enough to be useful and the 3 front facing cameras are high in the windshield.

The AP page doesn’t specify which cameras are active for EAP and FSD.

Seems to me that youtube video is nothing more than a "video" displayed or overlayed on a Tesla display.

Again, the tesla hardware "As-Is" is not the right kind of camera hardware to show an all-around view. They need fish-eye cameras under the side mirrors and a camera on the front bumper area to show it properly. It isn't something they can just turn on to see what you are hoping to see, even though there are cameras that face the front and sides, it won't give you the views of the curb that are really useful in an all-around feature.

You would need to add 3rd party hardware to get this feature, like what this guy is doing.
2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

Seems to me that youtube video is nothing more than a "video" displayed or overlayed on a Tesla display.

Again, the tesla hardware "As-Is" is not the right kind of camera hardware to show an all-around view. They need fish-eye cameras under the side mirrors and a camera on the front bumper area to show it properly. It isn't something they can just turn on to see what you are hoping to see, even though there are cameras that face the front and sides, it won't give you the views of the curb that are really useful in an all-around feature.

You would need to add 3rd party hardware to get this feature, like what this guy is doing.

FYI

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

Reactions: wbhokie

The overwhelming majority of owners are not going to spend thousands of dollars to retrofit a system like this into their cars, even if it is technically possible and even if they value the feature.

When I ordered my last car, the backup camera was standard and going to the 360 surround view was a $750 option.

My suspicion is that Tesla isn't doing this for a number of reasons, potentially including patent royalties, and their belief that self-parking improvements eventually make this kind of system redundant.

Having used 360 parking in my car for nearly 3 years now, it is indispensable in quite a lot of situations where rear view camera is not good enough.

The overwhelming majority of owners are not going to spend thousands of dollars to retrofit a system like this into their cars, even if it is technically possible and even if they value the feature.

When I ordered my last car, the backup camera was standard and going to the 360 surround view was a $750 option.

My suspicion is that Tesla isn't doing this for a number of reasons, potentially including patent royalties, and their belief that self-parking improvements eventually make this kind of system redundant.

Having used 360 parking in my car for nearly 3 years now, it is indispensable in quite a lot of situations where rear view camera is not good enough.

Oh I don't disagree at all! You are spot on in pretty much all counts. Their view in neglecting a lot of current features are is "The car does it for you so you don't need it" but it just isn't true in a lot of cases, or the feature set provided is lacking in some way. Some people still will go all out and mod their cars, but not many.

Hell, I'm still pissed there is no heated steering wheel! IMO, much better than heated seats in cold weather.

Hell, I'm still pissed there is no heated steering wheel! IMO, much better than heated seats in cold weather.

Wait a second, I was told previously that Tesla owners don't care about such trivial stuff as heated steering wheels! :p
Teslas still lacking a 360 birdseye camera is plain bizarre. Probably 1 eager intern could write the programming in a couple of weeks.

Their view in neglecting a lot of current features are is "The car does it for you so you don't need it" but it just isn't true in a lot of cases, or the feature set provided is lacking in some way. Some people still will go all out and mod their cars, but not many.

Agree -- and even where the car falls short currently, that appears to drive feature priorities.

Wait a second, I was told previously that Tesla owners don't care about such trivial stuff as heated steering wheels! :p
Teslas still lacking a 360 birdseye camera is plain bizarre. Probably 1 eager intern could write the programming in a couple of weeks.

I'm pretty sure that the birdseye camera feature is patented and would require Tesla to pay royalties which is the most likely reason they don't offer it... just my guess anyway.

As to writing the software.... it doesn't do any good to write software if the car doesn't have the necessary hardware to make the feature work.

I'd love if it did continuous recording, of course overwriting previous video as needed, but if something bumps the car, it automatically saves two minutes before to two minutes after into a separate place that won't get overwritten. If cell data was cheap and unlimited, I'd love if the car could stream live 24/7 and save to the cloud like my Nest cams. I bet Google's eventual car has something similar built in (since they own Nest), along with the front end pedestrian fly paper they patented :)
BUT it does NOT record the rear-view camera (I'm guessing because autopilot has no obligation to avoid someone running into you, they only have an interest in the autopilot operating properly). I was rear-ended and they fled in the dark. Tesla could not help with a pic of their front end.

I'm pretty sure that the birdseye camera feature is patented and would require Tesla to pay royalties which is the most likely reason they don't offer it... just my guess anyway.

As to writing the software.... it doesn't do any good to write software if the car doesn't have the necessary hardware to make the feature work.

My honest take of why Tesla hasn't implemented a 360 degree birdseye camera is the simple fact such a feature isn't needed once FSD is fully enabled. Elon determined that If it isn't of any use to a FSD Tesla, it's not worthy of spending any time on including. Same deal with Android Auto/Carplay.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
It seems like it would be trivial for them to display the side rear facing cameras in addition to the rear view camera when backing up and that would at least be an improvement over what we have now.

I think we're basically SOL for any kind of front surround view given the placement of the front facing cameras. 360 view has been around for a long time, why couldn't Tesla have just thrown a front bumper cam on the model 3?