Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Lack of) Auto lock door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I think this was asked before but this thread made me think. How far away does your key need to be from the car. Right now I put my keys in my bedroom, but that is directly over where my Model S will be parked. I also have a key hook right inside the garage door to my house. Is that far enough away?

See post #9 here:

The lock on walk-away seems to be about 15' distance, but if you linger around 10' it'll stay unlocked for some time.

=====

Or is the big deal having the key inside the car?

Yes, it is. See post #14 here:

Apart from preventing the car going to sleep, you'll find that the entertainment system and the AC keep running (possibly headlights also?) so unless you turn everything off you're going to run down your battery. Also, and someone may have to correct me here, I think you'll drain the battery in your key fob.

=====

I don't really need my car to lock when I am home....

You do if you want it to go to sleep.

Because there is a 60 second delay before it auto locks, I am forced to reach into my pocket for the fob to lock it.

Have you timed it, because I don't think its anywhere near that long. I went to the grocery store yesterday and by the time I was crossing from the parking lot to the front door, I turned back and noticed the handles had retracted. That was something around 20 seconds of walking away from the car. Make sure you're giving it a lot of distance before noting the time, as the manual seems to indicate it's a distance trigger, not a time trigger.

This is absolutely more of a problem than with other cars. When you walk away from other cars, they aren't lit up with the door handles extended (and also lit) basically shouting that they're open. I don't think anybody would want to walk away from their Model S in public at night in this state. Often within 60 seconds the owner is well out of sight of the car. I agree the car still can't be stolen but everything in it certainly could be.

Do you have 'keep lights on' when walk away turned on as well? The car can be locked as you walk away but the headlights and taillights will stay on about a minute in this case.