Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of buttons - annoying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. I don't miss the buttons at all. My Chevy Volt had so many, all in a very confusing array, that it was sometimes dangerous trying to find the right one while driving. Not so with Model S.

Agree completely. When I went from my Volt to the MS, I was concerned about the touch screen ergonomics. While the Volt has a 'touch' console, the layout is ridiculous (such as the prominent/dedicated button just to set the time/date). The Tesla designers have done a commendable job optimizing the layout, and the static climate controls are well positioned. I do think they can improve in some areas, maybe more audible/haptic type feedback.

That said, there is still something to be said for being able to _blindly_ reach for a knob/button.

The reason I don't see this question as trolling is that it's a reasonable question from a non-owner. I think it's a big leap from the comfort of a traditional car control panel to a glass control panel. Once you make the jump though, the question gets flipped the other way around - how can you stand all those dedicated buttons? It's funny, my girlfriend (who is quite used to the tesla panels) wanted to open the glove box and was looking for the button on the screen. (for non-owners, it's the physical button to the immediate right of the screen). We had a good laugh over that.

I recall when apple made the first iPhones, people said it wasn't possible to sell a phone with one button only. Tesla has designed a clean, efficient interface to match the internal and external decor. If you want additional buttons, I suspect you could glue or stitch them on and twirl them to your heart's content.

Well to be honest it has the 'one button' and a power button, and a volume rocker. So really 4 buttons. But you point is valid.

It still needs a photo button. I don't think I could go back to a phone without a dedicated two position (focus, shutter) camera button. I am so Glad WindowsPhone requires this.

As for the touch screen, I was VERY VERY skeptical about it being safe and non-distracting. Now I think it is safer than buttons. Because it is VERY easy to see as it is large and uncluttered. It also has much better identification (my VW had a lot of poorly labled buttons) via writing on the button.

As for distracting. It does allow me to look through lots of songs, and has other cool stuff that is VERY easy to get to. So I am tempted to do more than I should. But honestly it is much better than buttons.

The only thing I think it really lacks is a physical button to change to day mode. By background brightness is 0% at night. If for some reason it switches to night mode when it is even moderately bright my screens are basically unreadable. Having a gesture, or fixed tap-and-hold section of the screen to force Day mode would be really helpful. Right now I just wait to stop, or change the night brightness with the scroll wheel, then change it to day mode. That and I really would like a physical button for lights. Even though I am VERY impressed with auto mode. I really like adjusting my headlights (and fogs) often and for lots of reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I think it has too many buttons - why on earth is the rear window lock, as well as the drivers controls for the non-driver windows still physical buttons and not on the touchscreen?

Often I want to lower the rear windows to 80%, but that's hard to do with physical buttons.

NOOO! Don't take away my 4 window auto down physical buttons. I press them many times a day! I want them fixed and avalible all the time. As for the window locks, you can throw that to the screen.

I think the side mirrors are really the next thing that should get put on the screen. You just don't use them that often.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it is good that some cars come with buttons for Neanderthals who want them. I am totally happy that my model S has advanced beyond buttons to provide maximum satisfaction. Tesla Model S' are not for everybody. They are for those of us that want the best.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not think the OP was a troll. If somebody has not experienced a Model S, it is a very valid question.

I do not think the OP was a troll. If somebody has not experienced a Model S, it is a very valid question.

I had quite a "discussion" about this last weekend with someone who saw my car for the first time. There was no convincing this guy that the screens weren't a dangerous distraction, and that the lack of tactile feel would make it hard to find things. (I do wonder, however, how long it will be before the browser is disabled when the car is moving).

I had some minor concerns about this before getting my car, but have found it simply to be a non-issue.

I had quite a "discussion" about this last weekend with someone who saw my car for the first time. There was no convincing this guy that the screens weren't a dangerous distraction, and that the lack of tactile feel would make it hard to find things. (I do wonder, however, how long it will be before the browser is disabled when the car is moving).

I had some minor concerns about this before getting my car, but have found it simply to be a non-issue.

I have to look at the buttons whenever I use them in my BMW. There are just too many of them to be able to just "know" what you're reaching for without looking. I think skeptics feel like they have an idea where all the buttons are, or that they can just feel around for them, but who actually does that? And is feeling around for a button for 5 seconds safer than glancing down real quick? It has the second generation of iDrive which is relatively easy to use, but that also involves looking at the screen. Needless to say, I'm anxious to get my Tesla in a week and get rid of my BMW. :)

(I do wonder, however, how long it will be before the browser is disabled when the car is moving).

I'm not so sure that's going to be necessary. It's not the easiest thing to click links on the screen while stationary; I'm not even the slightest bit tempted to do that while driving. It would be more frustrating than anything.

Once in a while if I want to know if it's going to rain, I'll pop up the local weather radar at a stop light. But that's on my favourite list.

I'm not so sure that's going to be necessary. It's not the easiest thing to click links on the screen while stationary; I'm not even the slightest bit tempted to do that while driving. It would be more frustrating than anything.

Once in a while if I want to know if it's going to rain, I'll pop up the local weather radar at a stop light. But that's on my favourite list.

While I agree that if we all act responsibly, it won't be necessary (to disable the browser), but you just have to know someone is going to get in a accident or hit a pedestrian while distracted by the browser. I'd put money on it just being a matter of time. I hope it isn't so, but...

While I agree that if we all act responsibly, it won't be necessary (to disable the browser), but you just have to know someone is going to get in a accident or hit a pedestrian while distracted by the browser. I'd put money on it just being a matter of time. I hope it isn't so, but...

Couldn't this happen with any car with some of these new features? I agree someone will pounce on the fact that a web browser was being used though. I never use the web browser while driving but would be upset if they locked down the Nav like Toyota does where you have to be parked to type in an address.

Couldn't this happen with any car with some of these new features?

YES, and it's been all over the news around here. Audio Systems, Navigation, even "hands free" devices like Bluetooth connected smartphones are coming under fire. That's kinda my point. Other cars (like your Toyota and my previous Cadillac) take proactive measures to limit driver interaction when the car is in motion. All it's going to take is one serious "distracted driver" accident where it comes to light that Tesla doesn't have these "nanny" features enabled to change all that.

Besides regulators, if someone can sue McDonalds because the coffee they spilled on themselves was too hot, you can be sure a distracted Tesla driver who gets in an accident will want to deflect blame by suing Tesla for not "protecting them from themselves".

To be clear, I agree with you and hope it doesn't happen, but I think (unfortunately) it's just a matter of time...

Besides regulators, if someone can sue McDonalds because the coffee they spilled on themselves was too hot, you can be sure a distracted Tesla driver who gets in an accident will want to deflect blame by suing Tesla for not "protecting them from themselves".

The McDonald's lawsuit was more than deserved, but unfortunately has become twisted inthe retelling. Six percent of her body required skin grafts. Another 16% of her body had second degree burns. McDonald's had received over 700 complaints that the coffee was too hot, had received health dept citations that the coffee was too hot, and STILL instructed franchises to serve at the high temp.

the woman asked them only to cover her direct medical expenses. They offered her $800 instead.

my opinion is that they deserved that lawsuit.

The McDonald's lawsuit was more than deserved, but unfortunately has become twisted inthe retelling. Six percent of her body required skin grafts. Another 16% of her body had second degree burns. McDonald's had received over 700 complaints that the coffee was too hot, had received health dept citations that the coffee was too hot, and STILL instructed franchises to serve at the high temp.

the woman asked them only to cover her direct medical expenses. They offered her $800 instead.

my opinion is that they deserved that lawsuit.

I wasn't saying the McDonalds lawsuit was frivolous. What I was saying is that if someone is as seriously injured in a Model S accident due to the distractions of the internet browser, could they not similarly sue? I don't know that Tesla has received complaints about the lack of "nanny" features (I certainly am not complaining), but with all of the media attention to distracted driving, and the fact that other cars *do* have the nanny features, there might be a case.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here... I like the way it's implemented in my Tesla. I just can't shake the feeling of it being too good to last!

I do wonder, however, how long it will be before the browser is disabled when the car is moving).

I am wondering how they deal with this in the EU version of the Model S. At least in Germany for example the TV function (if available) on a front screen has to be disabled while driving. In my father's Mercedes for example with its two screens (one front, one rear center), the TV function is only available on the rear center screen while the car is driven.
I can't think they (i.e. legistation) would prohibit TV functionality but leave equally distracting browser functionality allowed.

Thanks for all the replies. I am a big fan of Tesla and the Model S and some of you were right that I've not experienced one. I was just asking for opinions here, not trying to cause trouble.

No worries, man. It's really hard to explain the experience I think. I love cars and I love engines. The experience of driving a Model S, though, is quite the departure from everything you're used to. It's simply amazing.