Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of buttons - annoying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
um... The iOS camera app uses the volume up button as a shutter. Was introduced a few versions ago (iOS 5 I think)...

It's different than just a shutter button on Windows Phone though. It launches the camera app (you don't even need to unlock the phone) and pressing halfway down focuses as well, just like on an actual camera.

It's different than just a shutter button on Windows Phone though. It launches the camera app (you don't even need to unlock the phone) and pressing halfway down focuses as well, just like on an actual camera.
I like the buttons on my Lumia 920 Windows phone. I don't even turn on my iPhone. The camera is also better on the Lumia 920 than on the iPhone. The Lumia 1020 camera is even better than the 920 camera.

I usually use the "very high" suspension mode when pulling into parking spaces with curbs - and also like to open the sunroof in the evenings - would be useful to have these two features on the same screen - and not to also hit an extra tab to switch between the sunroof screen (which wastes a lot of screen space) and the air suspension screen.

Better solution for this (hopefully a future software update) is for the car to learn from your behavior and after a while, as the GPS detects you're pulling into the parking space, it automatically moves the suspension to "very high".

I don't own a model S but it seems like a lack of buttons to control basic stuff, such as door locks and rear seat heat (sub zero package) is a real miss. Anybody else think so? What's the point of having rear seat heaters that can only be controlled by the front passengers? How many screens do you have to go through to lock and unlock the doors?

the lack of buttons is an intentional design decision. If that is what annoys you then the MS is not a car for you. Please find a car with plenty of buttons that will make you happy.

the lack of buttons is an intentional design decision. If that is what annoys you then the MS is not a car for you. Please find a car with plenty of buttons that will make you happy.

That's a bit dismissive and rude. I can't think of another sedan I'd rather own right now, but YES, I do wish I had buttons to unlock the doors instead of having to use the screen. It's not enough to get rid of the car over, but conscious decision or not, I wish I had some buttons in that case.

The other stuff like media and sunroof I can get by with. I mainly use the steering wheel controls anyway.

The only thing I think it really lacks is a physical button to change to day mode. By background brightness is 0% at night. If for some reason it switches to night mode when it is even moderately bright my screens are basically unreadable. Having a gesture, or fixed tap-and-hold section of the screen to force Day mode would be really helpful. Right now I just wait to stop, or change the night brightness with the scroll wheel, then change it to day mode. That and I really would like a physical button for lights. Even though I am VERY impressed with auto mode. I really like adjusting my headlights (and fogs) often and for lots of reasons.

Here's a tip. If you prefer day mode most of the time (I'm a night mode fan, myself), select Day Mode instead of Auto. Then program your right-hand scroll wheel (on the steering wheel) so that it controls screen brightness. You'll be able to instantly adjust the screen to match the situation.

Something as simple as a second press on the "Park" stalk to extend handles would be perfect. I find that if I'm in Drive it's no big deal to put the car in Park to unlock but a when I'm already in Park it's a pain.

The easiest way is to shift to D and then put it back in P. It's not a big deal, IMHO.

The only "button" I would like is one that raises the suspension to very high--and that doesn't need to be a physical button, just a button at the top or the bottom that's always accessible.

You've piqued my curiosity. If they removed the 17" panel entirely, replacing it with voice commands (or whatever), which buttons would you like to see a physical switch/button for?

Hmm, off hand really just door locking and unlocking. I can do with no sunroof button/switch.

I do like the idea of double tapping park unlocking though

I own both a Lucid Air and a 2018 Tesla Model S 75D with a premium sound system which has a subwoofer. The Tesla's recent model with the horizontal screen and lack of buttons is a significant downgrade for me, to the point that it's a dealbreaker; I'm definitely not purchasing a newer Tesla. The 22-speaker system in Tesla is superior to Lucid’s. Even Tesla’s older sound systems, pre-refresh, had better bass than Lucid's. In terms of user interface, the pre-refresh Model S was also better than the Lucid.

Tesla’s Full Self-Driving (FSD) feature significantly outperforms Lucid’s Dream Drive PRO, which I find lacking. For those who value advanced driver-assistance features, Tesla is the better choice. However, if those features aren’t a priority, Lucid might be a better fit. Lucid strikes a good balance with its interface, combining touchscreen controls with essential physical buttons for AC temperature/intensity, doors, turn signals, and shifting gears. The touchscreen control for driving modes like drive, reverse, and neutral is frustrating. After driving the 2024 Model S, I was extremely irritated by these changes.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I was also bothered by the fact that there is only one regular USB port available, which is required for the dashcam to save additional footage. The sales representative suggested using an adapter to connect a second USB stick to the smaller USB ports. It seems counterintuitive to have just one regular USB port and 4 smaller ones. Why not have three regular USB ports and two small ones instead? This setup feels very impractical. Does anyone know if the car will play music using an adaptor and one of the smaller ports? I hope the smaller ports are not for charging only