Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of charging between Edmonton to Fort McMurray

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there are EV chargers just about every where you go now until you want to drive between Edmonton and Fort McMurray until now….(the Athabasca one is a detour and is a single charger)

Spoke to the FLO regional director and they confirmed they will be building a fast charging station between the two cities. Hopefully in Grassland or Lac La Biche Alberta. Athabasca is nice to have as a last resort but is out of the way for most

there are EV chargers just about every where you go now until you want to drive between Edmonton and Fort McMurray until now….(the Athabasca one is a detour and is a single charger)

Spoke to the FLO regional director and they confirmed they will be building a fast charging station between the two cities. Hopefully in Grassland or Lac La Biche Alberta. Athabasca is nice to have as a last resort but is out of the way for most
Same issue between Edmonton and Jasper. No fast charger, you have to stop at some Inn in Edison. Definitely not ideal.

Reactions: Wonderland
Same issue between Edmonton and Jasper. No fast charger, you have to stop at some Inn in Edison. Definitely not ideal.
Not for much longer, Jasper is under construction and the crew is off to Edson next to construct a site there too. I have done the drive from Edmonton to Jasper and if you time your dinner/lunch break for Edson then it is no big inconvenience, we only needed about 10% additional charge to make it to Jasper. Though in the winter it would be a different story and the supercharger will be really nice to have.

Not for much longer, Jasper is under construction and the crew is off to Edson next to construct a site there too. I have done the drive from Edmonton to Jasper and if you time your dinner/lunch break for Edson then it is no big inconvenience, we only needed about 10% additional charge to make it to Jasper. Though in the winter it would be a different story and the supercharger will be really nice to have.
When will the supercharger be built in Edison?

Don't you have to be a guest at the Inn to charge?

Tesla’s site says Q4 2021 and on the Jasper super charger thread some one posted that they talked to the crew working on the Jasper site and they said that they were off to Edson next. I would not be surprised if the station construction is done by the end of September, and going live before the end of the year.

There are three destination chargers at the hotel, two for hotel guests and one at the Ricky’s.

As of about August 14, the crew at Jasper said they would be finishing Jasper in about 2 weeks then will be off to Edson, and most of the installs in Western Canada take about 3 weeks. But that's install, not operational date, they will still need to have the local power company install transformers and power meters then Tesla will need to do final tests and turn on.

Have you asked them if there's plans for anything between Edmonton and Grande Prairie?

Have you asked them if there's plans for anything between Edmonton and Grande Prairie?
There is nothing on the map and stuff generally shows up there years before it is actually built.
1629470327603.png

Can anyone tell me if they have dared to make the drive from Edmonton to Grande Prairie? PlugShare tells me there are 6 level 2 chargers in GP and one in High Prairie (Peavey Market). The 460 km from Edmonton to Grande Prairie is a bit too close to the maximum range of my long range MY which means to feel comfortable I’d have to go through High Prairie - which adds on another 100 km.

Can anyone tell me if they have dared to make the drive from Edmonton to Grande Prairie? PlugShare tells me there are 6 level 2 chargers in GP and one in High Prairie (Peavey Market). The 460 km from Edmonton to Grande Prairie is a bit too close to the maximum range of my long range MY which means to feel comfortable I’d have to go through High Prairie - which adds on another 100 km.
Hope you get your answer but for reference when I travel to Fort Mac/Anzac it’s 430km from my house and my ‘actual’ range is 450km so I barely get there in one charge. I Drive a MY LR with 20” induction @95-100km/hr +22 deg out.

We really need more EV locations in northern Alberta. They seem to have plenty south of Calgary. I routinely call gas stations on these major highways every week for them to get stations.