Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of Instrument Panel due to Augmented Reality Glasses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about people who already wear prescription glasses? While technically feasible to have augmented reality glasses system, I highly doubt the probability. I'm thinking they are going with HUD (heads up display) system of some sort.

Reactions: S'toon
Nobody wants to wear glasses to drive.

What may happen, and I think will happen soon enough, is HUD that takes into account drivers' eye position and gaze. That way, instead of a silly little HUD in the bottom of the windshield, a full-windshield system could overlay things like navigation "arrows" so that they appear to be right in the middle of the lane the car needs to be in. Or your speed could always be off to the side, but at "eye level".

It was just an idea, I also got Lasik a decade ago and I wear sunglasses sometimes. HUDs right now are as big as a cell phone screen, and I am not even sure if they are polychromatic.

HUDs are just projected light; you can change the color to whatever you want, but bright/white-based colors are good for visibility.

Give this a read.

Glasses are too much of an inconvenience. What if you break it? Or drop it? It's difficult for current glasses-wearers, too.

Reactions: taigebu
I think with Tesla trying to remove barriers to driving (for example car unlocking itself on approach, starting itself with no start button, auto opening doors on Model X, etc.) it is unlikely Tesla will add another layer (like needing to put on glasses).

Reactions: ikjadoon
HUDs are just projected light; you can change the color to whatever you want, but bright/white-based colors are good for visibility.

Give this a read.

Glasses are too much of an inconvenience. What if you break it? Or drop it? It's difficult for current glasses-wearers, too.

Thanks for the link ! I had no idea TI was doing a HUD projection system :)

I also do think that a HUD, whether projected on a retractable screen or the windshield, is in their plans. It makes sense to me.

Reactions: ikjadoon