Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of knowledge about EVs in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
This is an important subject. Even many parking lot attendants seems to lack knowledge about EVs. Why? Maybe because no-one seems to be using the charging spots, except for ICE vehicles.

Example 1: Maritime Square, Tsing Yi - the parking attendant said she never saw the three EV spots used before. Had no idea how to activate chargers, which cars were to use them etc.

Example 2: People have no idea what Tesla Motors is, Model S, EVs, ICEing etc. We need to help them understand it better, maybe even become a part of this next-gen movement. If people look at your car charging, say hi and offer to explain them more (don't be shy!)

Example 3: Megabox, trying to get to the basement, the staff insist on you going upstairs, because they don't know your car is electric. Maybe they think it's a Jaguar or Maserati. Hard for me to explain with gestures and English.

Example #4: Yuen Long, some shopping mall parking with two BS1363 13A that were locked - I needed the key to open it. Walking downstairs, trying to explain this, they thought I needed to jump start an ICE car, and wanted to lend me a 12V car battery (!)

To make life easier for example #3 and #4 situations, feel free to steel it, those of us who don't speak Cantonese:

Electric Car Help - Cantonese.png

(Available in PDF here for A5 print: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18397/Electric Car Assistance - Cantonese.pdf )

How can we work to promote EVs better? What are your efforts to spread the word? Ask for more charging stations, report the ones that don't work?

Whether you live next to a supercharger, or can charge at home/work, I encourage all to get the 13A BS1363 Mennekes adapter - and USE it. I know it is 3600 HKD (!!!), but it is important we keep the pressure on, show the public and staff that there ARE EVs in Hong Kong, and they are coming in big numbers now.

This is an important subject. Even many parking lot attendants seems to lack knowledge about EVs. Why? Maybe because no-one seems to be using the charging spots, except for ICE vehicles.

Example 1: Maritime Square, Tsing Yi - the parking attendant said she never saw the three EV spots used before. Had no idea how to activate chargers, which cars were to use them etc.

Example 2: People have no idea what Tesla Motors is, Model S, EVs, ICEing etc. We need to help them understand it better, maybe even become a part of this next-gen movement. If people look at your car charging, say hi and offer to explain them more (don't be shy!)

Example 3: Megabox, trying to get to the basement, the staff insist on you going upstairs, because they don't know your car is electric. Maybe they think it's a Jaguar or Maserati. Hard for me to explain with gestures and English.

Example #4: Yuen Long, some shopping mall parking with two BS1363 13A that were locked - I needed the key to open it. Walking downstairs, trying to explain this, they thought I needed to jump start an ICE car, and wanted to lend me a 12V car battery (!)

To make life easier for example #3 and #4 situations, feel free to steel it, those of us who don't speak Cantonese:

View attachment 64924

(Available in PDF here for A5 print: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18397/Electric Car Assistance - Cantonese.pdf )

How can we work to promote EVs better? What are your efforts to spread the word? Ask for more charging stations, report the ones that don't work?

Whether you live next to a supercharger, or can charge at home/work, I encourage all to get the 13A BS1363 Mennekes adapter - and USE it. I know it is 3600 HKD (!!!), but it is important we keep the pressure on, show the public and staff that there ARE EVs in Hong Kong, and they are coming in big numbers now.

I'm gonna design some logos and signs to promote EV and No-ICE, will start this project after 5th December. Will make sure there are multiple designs for you guys to choose from.

I'm gonna design some logos and signs to promote EV and No-ICE, will start this project after 5th December. Will make sure there are multiple designs for you guys to choose from.

Great initiative!

Let's collaborate and cooperate about designs and wording. With broad support, we can have a larger batch of materials made which will be suit more people. I suggest something like double business card sized info-card, Chinese one side and English on the other, about Tesla, charging, EVs, ICEing, to hand out to bystanders, put under windshield wipers and so on. And another similar card to existing Tesla owners, to join TMC/Whatsapp/Facebook groups etc.

Great initiative!

Let's collaborate and cooperate about designs and wording. With broad support, we can have a larger batch of materials made which will be suit more people. I suggest something like double business card sized info-card, Chinese one side and English on the other, about Tesla, charging, EVs, ICEing, to hand out to bystanders, put under windshield wipers and so on. And another similar card to existing Tesla owners, to join TMC/Whatsapp/Facebook groups etc.

Sounds like a plan!