TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Lack of loaner cars?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by trunks13, Aug 17, 2018.

1. trunks13

trunks13 Member

Has anyone experienced a lack of available loaner cars at a service center when your appointment was made weeks in advance?

This is the second appointment I've had to reschedule because Tesla, within the hours of the scheduled appointment, txts me saying there's no loaners available.

I'm trying to get some delivery issues corrected, and Tesla appears to be making it very difficult to do so.

2. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Yes. And they don’t even tell me. They just say loaners are not guanranteed. But they will put you in a gas eco box

• Informative x 1
  3. Tezlah

Tezlah Member

Yes, my local service center, Tyson’s VA, has a very limited number of Tesla loaner cars. They do offer gas loaners through an on-site enterprise rep.

4. Terran

Terran Member

I have the same experience. My service center is Costa Mesa, which is the busiest in the US. They told me that there is an average of 10 people waiting for loaners on a daily bases. They offer Lyft as an alternative.

5. G78M3

G78M3 Member

I was put into a Jaguar F-Pace SUV enterprise rental

6. CodyKat

CodyKat New Member

Costa Mesa used Lyft to drive me to work and pick me up.

7. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

west la uses enterprise owned Model Ss. Centinela also has some loaners but uses mostly Lyft. Call in advance the day before and find the best time to come to get a good loaner

8. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

When something is FREE there will never be enough to go around.

The service centers do the best they can. They offer a Tesla loaner when available, then go to ICE loaners, then to lyft. They once even had a guy drive me to work and then pick up back up that afternoon.

Think they do a better job than most competitive dealerships. They even reimbursed me for gas I needed to put in the loaner.

• Like x 2
  9. MacGreiner

MacGreiner Aurorean

Never had a Tesla loaner once in my years of owning an S here in MD.

10. woodisgood

woodisgood Member

#10 woodisgood, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    It's worth saying that with the Model 3, especially with SR coming, you have a group of buyers who might feel like they've bought into the luxury/boutique experience that they perceived S/X owners to have. The loaner issue is just one small slice of that.

My wife definitely thought that will be the case. "Oh, it's ok that the car has delivery issues that they need to fix, as long as they put me into a MS/X/3!" That will probably be less and less possible as time goes on. Though once Tesla catches up to M3 demand maybe in about two years it would be reasonable to expect a 3 loaner when they're working on your 3.

• Like x 1
  11. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Torrance also uses lyft

• Like x 1
  12. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I just dropped off my M3 at the Fremont service center to get a paint smudge fixed and they didn't have any Tesla loaners. They gave me a BMW 430i convertible as a loaner. Not my preference, but a pretty fun car to drive.

13. TT97

TT97 Member

I have had Acuras, BMWs and MBs - every dealer here has always provided a loaner when I brought my car in for service/repairs. I am not sure if that is the case everywhere but it is expected in Los Angeles if you are purchasing a luxury brand.

With Tesla ramping up the number of cars in circulation, they also need to ramp up their SC capabilities. I don't expect them to have a Tesla every time (although preferred) but would expect a loaner. Tesla reimbursing for gas is a nice perk.

14. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Like it so much that you will trade in your model 3 for a 430i. You should tell them that when you return the car haha

• Funny x 1
  15. yogi4

yogi4 Member

Usually , if they aren't too busy with recalls or season maintenance , they give a P100D , if they are busy , they provide non Tesla courtesy cars or pay for the rental if your car has to stay in shop. I was in both cases, Once P100D, Once P85D , once a Non Tesla.

16. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I can honestly say I enjoy almost everything about my M3 more than the 430i. The infotainment system sucks so badly in the 430i and once you go instant torque you can't go back.

17. mwoody999

mwoody999 Member

I have scheduled an appt with Littleton,CO next week for a bunch of issues (panel gaps, tail light condensation, motor noise, etc...)

Hope they give me a Tesla loaner.

18. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I wonder if the push to profitability compels Tesla to more readily sell the loaners as inventory cars? Financially, it makes sense to do so and call a rideshare or rent an ICE car for the customer.

19. vinnie97

vinnie97 #WalkAway

In Las Vegas, they have been selling the loaners. When I was getting faint and finish issues resolved from April-July, there was never any Tesla loaner available, even with asking to be notified when one became available.

20. kaffine

kaffine Member

Just took my 3 in for some work yesterday in Las Vegas. I was just planning on waiting but they didn't know how long it was going to take so they gave me a BMW small SUV to drive. First time I can remember driving a BMW, only one feature it had I really would like Tesla to get and that is traffic alerts, it came up with a warning object in road ahead.

I did find to my amazement the BMW does have turn signals :)

I probably should have spent more time playing with the features in the BMW to see how they compared. I didn't figure out if it had TACC or not.

I was hoping for a P100D loaner to test drive but didn't have any real expectations of it and didn't ask ahead of time.

• Funny x 1