Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of loaner cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced a lack of available loaner cars at a service center when your appointment was made weeks in advance?

This is the second appointment I've had to reschedule because Tesla, within the hours of the scheduled appointment, txts me saying there's no loaners available.

I'm trying to get some delivery issues corrected, and Tesla appears to be making it very difficult to do so.

When something is FREE there will never be enough to go around.

The service centers do the best they can. They offer a Tesla loaner when available, then go to ICE loaners, then to lyft. They once even had a guy drive me to work and then pick up back up that afternoon.

Think they do a better job than most competitive dealerships. They even reimbursed me for gas I needed to put in the loaner.

It's worth saying that with the Model 3, especially with SR coming, you have a group of buyers who might feel like they've bought into the luxury/boutique experience that they perceived S/X owners to have. The loaner issue is just one small slice of that.

My wife definitely thought that will be the case. "Oh, it's ok that the car has delivery issues that they need to fix, as long as they put me into a MS/X/3!" That will probably be less and less possible as time goes on. Though once Tesla catches up to M3 demand maybe in about two years it would be reasonable to expect a 3 loaner when they're working on your 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
It's worth saying that with the Model 3, especially with SR coming, you have a group of buyers who might feel like they've bought into the luxury/boutique experience that they perceived S/X owners to have. The loaner issue is just one small slice of that.

My wife definitely thought that will be the case. "Oh, it's ok that the car has delivery issues that they need to fix, as long as they put me into a MS/X/3!" That will probably be less and less possible as time goes on. Though once Tesla catches up to M3 demand maybe in about two years it would be reasonable to expect a 3 loaner when they're working on your 3.

I have had Acuras, BMWs and MBs - every dealer here has always provided a loaner when I brought my car in for service/repairs. I am not sure if that is the case everywhere but it is expected in Los Angeles if you are purchasing a luxury brand.

With Tesla ramping up the number of cars in circulation, they also need to ramp up their SC capabilities. I don't expect them to have a Tesla every time (although preferred) but would expect a loaner. Tesla reimbursing for gas is a nice perk.

Usually , if they aren't too busy with recalls or season maintenance , they give a P100D , if they are busy , they provide non Tesla courtesy cars or pay for the rental if your car has to stay in shop. I was in both cases, Once P100D, Once P85D , once a Non Tesla.

Just took my 3 in for some work yesterday in Las Vegas. I was just planning on waiting but they didn't know how long it was going to take so they gave me a BMW small SUV to drive. First time I can remember driving a BMW, only one feature it had I really would like Tesla to get and that is traffic alerts, it came up with a warning object in road ahead.

I did find to my amazement the BMW does have turn signals :)

I probably should have spent more time playing with the features in the BMW to see how they compared. I didn't figure out if it had TACC or not.

I was hoping for a P100D loaner to test drive but didn't have any real expectations of it and didn't ask ahead of time.

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78 and TT97