Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of power trunk on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet the Model 3 will get an automatic trunk eventually, for a price. Keep in mind the early Model S did not have folding mirrors, parking sensors, etc. Early adopters always miss out on later features, that's normal. That the $7500 tax credit is still valid some consolation.

Reactions: insaneoctane
I bet the Model 3 will get an automatic trunk eventually, for a price. Keep in mind the early Model S did not have folding mirrors, parking sensors, etc. Early adopters always miss out on later features, that's normal. That the $7500 tax credit is still valid some consolation.

Possibly, although the cars people have pointed out that have automatic trunks are not in the same price segment as the Model 3 (you can't compare the high end of one car with the base model of another and say they are in the same price range). Do any of the BMW 3 series, Audi A4 or Mercedes C class sedans have automatic trunks as an option?

not arguing that just responding to the point where Cricket88 said stop comparing price like thats not a key part. If i compared strictly by features the price points would be all over the place.

If price is all that matters then sure, but the way you guys are complaining about how a 60k should have this and have that, is completely comparing apples to oranges. That’s what I meant by stop comparing by price. Because if that was the case, then it’d be more of a comparison between the i3 BMW and the Model 3. That right there would be a comparable situation and last I checked the i3 did not come with a power hatch either nor autopilot nor a 300 mile range...

If price is all that matters then sure, but the way you guys are complaining about how a 60k should have this and have that, is completely comparing apples to oranges. That’s what I meant by stop comparing by price. Because if that was the case, then it’d be more of a comparison between the i3 BMW and the Model 3. That right there would be a comparable situation and last I checked the i3 did not come with a power hatch either nor autopilot nor a 300 mile range...

making an observation isn't complaining... until the person i originally quoted mentioned it I didn't think of it. Simply a discussion

No big deal.
One option that another car has that the Model 3 doesn’t.
I’m happy with a real EV and all of the other things the Model 3 has that <insert other car here> has no hope of having.
There threads like this for a myriad of single options that some ICE has.
The huge difference is that I know that the delivered Model 3, like all Teslas, will continue to improve over time.

My thoughts:
  • This is a $35K car. If you want to compare it to $60K ICE cars, why would you include a $9K LR battery option in that comparison?
  • Model 3 battery and drivetrain is significantly more expensive than ICE counterpart.... Margins have to be made up somewhere?
  • Most (not all) of the omissions or compromises Tesla chose aren't that noticeable
  • While it seems like something I might like, you may not want the power lid when it breaks out of warranty

The trunk lid is so small and light. It is not at all like the heavy hatch of the S. I guess there are a few people who need, must have, cannot make it without an automatic trunk lid lifter, but really, MOST of us don't have "2" kids and a trunk full of groceries. I never had one on my Toyotas or Cheby. With 2 kids. This whole discussion is almost beyond my comprehension. Do the doors open when you wave your foot? How about the frunk? I have the S and the 3, and I don't see the benefit of auto trunk.

Just for reference, we haul 4 grandkids around at times. But we don't put any in the trunk, so there you go.

Reactions: DR61
So if you have one of those foot sensors I can see the use, but on my Model S if I had groceries I had to set a bag down to either reach over and press the button or reach into my pocket and fish out the fob. At that point it seems like it's just as easy to just open or close the trunk.

So if you have one of those foot sensors I can see the use, but on my Model S if I had groceries I had to set a bag down to either reach over and press the button or reach into my pocket and fish out the fob. At that point it seems like it's just as easy to just open or close the trunk.
\

what I do is I organized all the grocery and have them ready, press the button and quickly take all the bags in my 2 hands.

Slightly off topic: does the trunk open to any level and stay there? I.e. it doesn’t “pop all the way open manually” when opened? Frompics, it seems quite tall when fully open and would seem to hit my opened garage door. So, if I manually open it to half height, does it stay there until I shut it?