Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of power trunk on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol thats true... friend just purchased a bmw 5 series with that feature for a little over 60k

stop comparing cars by PRICE. The 5 series your friend purchased may have a power trunk but it DOES NOT have a battery, auto pilot hardware, a fancy single blade air vent, an electric drive unit, access to the Supercharger infrastructure, free slacker online radio (and free software over-the-air updates, Panoramic all glass rear roof, and so on and so on. If this is the kind of stuff you guys are complaining about, then this is definitely not the right car for you !

stop comparing cars by PRICE. The 5 series your friend purchased may have a power trunk but it DOES NOT have a battery, auto pilot hardware, a fancy single blade air vent, an electric drive unit, access to the Supercharger infrastructure, free slacker online radio (and free software over-the-air updates, Panoramic all glass rear roof, and so on and so on. If this is the kind of stuff you guys are complaining about, then this is definitely not the right car for you !

Never mind that 60k is a svelte 5 series as far as options go. The car starts at 52k with basically nothing. Also I couldn’t find a trunk closer option. Just soft-close automatic doors.

Never mind that 60k is a svelte 5 series as far as options go. The car starts at 52k with basically nothing. Also I couldn’t find a trunk closer option. Just soft-close automatic doors.

The 5 series does have the automatic trunk as an option. I'm not sure how necessary it is but it is a nice 'luxury' feature I suppose. What I really like is the soft close doors...but of course you still get friends slamming the door like the car is a 60's car no matter how many times you remind them.

Dude, come on. Are you being difficult intentionally or is this all really lost on you? The F10 5 series had a power trunk lid on nearly every example sold since 2011. My 2004 A8 had a motorized trunk. It was a luxury option 10 years ago. In 2018 it really isn't anything special any longer and it's surprising to see if premium car at that price point omit such a basic feature.

Reactions: Kwang0429
Dude, come on. Are you being difficult intentionally or is this all really lost on you? The F10 5 series had a power trunk lid on nearly every example sold since 2011. My 2004 A8 had a motorized trunk. It was a luxury option 10 years ago. In 2018 it really isn't anything special any longer and it's surprising to see if premium car at that price point omit such a basic feature.
Model 3 is really a 35K car. 9K is for extra range, 5K is for interior stuff. 5K is for Autopilot. 3K for FSD. 1K for Paint.

you know, that button on the trunk that helps you close it when you press it ? instead of having to close the trunk with your hand? it's pretty standard nowadays. when you have handful of groceries, that button is godsend.
Wait until you try the kick sensor under the trunk. Now that's godsend. When I asked the SA if the Model X I was purchasing has that feature, he looked at me with a weird look and said here's the button on the FOB and you double press on it. I gave him the weird look back... really? My wife and I miss that feature from our 5 series.

They cloned the BMW pricing model ... everything is an extra charge option :cool:
I am pretty sure you've seen the Porsche option list!

Oh right, the 5 series he/she purchased has all the advertised options/features present on delivery. Does the Model 3 have working dimming mirror? OOPS.

The 3 isn’t a premium car. It’s starts at 35k and pretty fully optioned is 60k. The A8 prices out almost high as an S and the 5 series starts at 52k and goes to the stratosphere pretty fast with any options. If you want a 5 or A8 competitor, buy an S.

The 3 isn’t a premium car. It’s starts at 35k and pretty fully optioned is 60k. The A8 prices out almost high as an S and the 5 series starts at 52k and goes to the stratosphere pretty fast with any options. If you want a 5 or A8 competitor, buy an S.
Isn't the BMW 3 series considered a luxury/premium car? I thought so, and the Model 3 is aimed directly at snatching those customers I thought.

I'm not saying anything about whether the Model 3 should or should not have the automatic trunk type features...just about whether the 3 is considered a premium/luxury car.

I don't believe the BMW 3 series sedan comes with a power liftgate. I do not even see it as an option. It is standard, however, on the sports wagon and hatchback. At least based on a quick look at the BMW website. I could be wrong here, though, so correct me if so.

why wouldn't i compare cars by price? thats what most normal buyers do.....

why wouldn't i compare cars by price? thats what most normal buyers do.....
But then you're comparing features. Which is also what normal buyers do once they determine their price point. And if you're going to compare features, most of us look at all the features that matter to us. If BEV/AutoPilot/etc don't matter, that's a personal choice. And then, of course the Model 3 would likely fall short.

Only you can decide what matters to you.

Reactions: stayfocus18
But then you're comparing features. Which is also what normal buyers do once they determine their price point. And if you're going to compare features, most of us look at all the features that matter to us. If BEV/AutoPilot/etc don't matter, that's a personal choice. And then, of course the Model 3 would likely fall short.

Only you can decide what matters to you.

not arguing that just responding to the point where Cricket88 said stop comparing price like thats not a key part. If i compared strictly by features the price points would be all over the place.